Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Decent Registry Cleaner

rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332

If anyone knows one I'd appreciate the info thanks

Comments

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Format C: is the best cleaner I've found!

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Easycleaner is the best for XP and free. For 7 64 bits I use "CleanMyPC - Registry Cleaner", it is great as well but not free and have slightly less functions.

Easycleaner works for most functions with W7 as well, but have some issues wirth cleaning up the registry there.

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332

Originally posted by Loke666

Easycleaner is the best for XP and free. For 7 64 bits I use "CleanMyPC - Registry Cleaner", it is great as well but not free and have slightly less functions.

Easycleaner works for most functions with W7 as well, but have some issues wirth cleaning up the registry there.

Thanks I'll try those, Apperciate it Loke. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by rygar218

Thanks I'll try those, Apperciate it Loke. 

NP, I install and delete a lot of games while I hate to reinstall windows, so I try to clean out the crap often.

A clean PC is a fast one, remember to take away all crap at startup as well, the things that really slow down your computer ends up there (both programs lets you do that easy, or you can do it manually). Just check that you don't delete the few programs you actually need.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I use CCleaner by piriform,to be honest i don't remember but i think i got it for free.Often programs in beta stage are free so it might not be free anymore but you could i am sure easily google for a free one.

There is one catch however ,some are VERY lame they install as almsot a virus,you can't remove them unless you find al lthe locations in registry and remove them lol,so a cleaner to clean the cleaner.

Tucows used to be  the old days  place to go for programs but probably with everything about making money not sure much for free in there anymore.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I use TuneUp Utilities, but it costs money.

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

I don't know how legitimate the link I'm about to post is, but it verifies a lot of what I've experienced. Registry cleaning just isn't that important, though it doesn't hurt either (with most cleaners). CCleaner tends to be the easiest and from what I've seen it doesn't even target any of the problem areas. Just dead links and such.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04/why-i-dont-use-registry-cleaners/

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• pal18pal18 Member UncommonPosts: 45

Don't bother with registry cleaners, they are snake oil at best.

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

CCleaner is software that's good to have one way or the other; the registry cleaner is almost a fringe benefit.

It's also a vastly superior alternative to Windows Disk Cleanup, and integrates system restore, basic msconfig functionality, and the windows uninstaller into one very small and simple program. It's extremely popular for a reason.

All of Piriform's software is great, and it's all free.