Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Guild Sores Comic - Creating a Hero

2»

Comments

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

You know, I actually do live action role playing with guys who play female characters (and not because there aren't enough females)...oh and a girl who had everyone convinced that she was in fact a guy who was gay...

playing a female online doesn't exactly strike me as being so different from the real word :-/

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by anothername

You all think to much into it. The comic pretty much explains it perfectly.  :D

This.  Plus, at the start, the comic reminds me of something I've gone through in lots of MMOs.  Trying to make a tough looking character, only to find too many male model choices.  If I do make a guy character, I want him to look mean, or maybe wise, or crazy.. attractive though?  Not so much.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Anyone who played Metroid and cries out about how horrible men playing female toons is can just go ahead and quit posting!

XD

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• CoffeeOfDoomCoffeeOfDoom Member UncommonPosts: 24

Originally posted by Saerain

Originally posted by CoffeeOfDoom

What I find funny is that no one finds it strange if a woman plays a male character.

That's because while a man playing a woman is an offense to masculinity, a woman playing a man is a compliment.

A compliment to what though? Masculinity?

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

never trust a guy who plays a female avatar.. thats something you will find out with experience when playing games.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • GriffihnGriffihn Member UncommonPosts: 20

after some years of gaming, u actually learn how to differentiate girls from guys. real girl gamers tend to have a certain finesse in their moves and actions while guys, even those that are gay, can not shake their roughness no matter how much they try. also, for some reason, they always seem to actually admit if they're guys or girls so i never had crossdressing problems... yet. also, the biggest hint that a guy is playing a female char: if they're the leader and the guild/faction/union/whatever has tons of drama in it, then the leader is a guy. we seem to love fights, be they physical, psychological or w/e else u might think of.

as a side note, the crossdressing goes both ways. i've seen many women choose to have male chars since it usually means they can actually be treated as equals instead of "hormonal players with more mood swings than a messed up NPC" (as a friend called them at one point).

• ohhhmyyyyohhhmyyyy Member UncommonPosts: 34

Originally posted by futnatus

As a guy I would never play a female character, the idea just freaking creeps me out and it makes me shiver in disgust when I think about how many people are doing it.

I think if you keep it in your head that these crossdressers are around you come to really distrust any female figure in-game, even the real girl gamers. 

I like when a game forces your account and all characters on it to be one gender by what you chose in your registration male/female field.  I guess it limits choice, but I don't think people really need that choice and would do fine without.

{mod edit}

There are games like Left 4 Dead 2 where there are only 3 male chars and 1 female chars available per game. If you end up joining a game that has all the male chars already taken, thus forcing you to be the female char, do you log off to find another lobby? Does the gender of your in game character REALLY mean that much to you?

• genkidashitegenkidashite Member Posts: 41

who gives more freebies to female characters these days?

we all know whos behind that screen. :)

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

male, female chars.....who cares? rly?

to my knowledge the genre is stil called Massive Multiplayer Online ROLEPLAYING GAME.

The fact that alot of people are looking at the virtual gender in a sexual way is WAY worse then the one roleplaying a char of the other sex.

I play games since i was 9 (i am 36 now) and NEVER have i looked at gaming as something sexual.

Some of you freaks need GF's asap man....hehe

lolz

remember folks...its just a game :p

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

"Because I'm staring that ass for hours, it might as well be a woman's ass"... Oh this line again? Admit that you only want to be treated gently by the rest of the kids in Interwebz! You damn whimpering maggots with no spine! It's like you guys want to bring your mommy in the playground to watch your back so nobody hurts you. 

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

I know this is suppose to be funny.. and I get it as I found it amusing as well but at the same time I can't help take a little 'offense' (if you can even call it that).  I'd LOVE!!!! to have an option in games to appear as male to other characters or even just let it be known I'm a guy.

But yeah, the comment about dancing as a guy vs dancing as a girl... dead on.  So true, so funny... beyond funny really, right past it into the sad and pathetic area of funny.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by EduardoASG

never trust a guy who plays a female avatar.. thats something you will find out with experience when playing games.

-.- that's exactly the crap I'd love to get away from.

Not all guys playing female avatars are that way.  In fact I've personally found it to be the other way around.  Never trust a player who lets the gender of others matter.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• ~Roh~~Roh~ Member UncommonPosts: 16

Yeah, I really don't buy the whole "If Im going to be staring at a butt all day it might as well be female" thing. During most of your gaming time you won't be looking at your character much at all. I think the % of guys play females who are really that pethatic and horny is small. I get the feeling the rest of them are just gender confused. I'm not hating on them for it. I just hope they can settle into who they really are at some point and come out of the closest.

Me? I play a game thinking it might be cool if I could do that! And "that" has never been "Be a famale". If the class I want is female only no biggy but given a the choice.. Im a man with no real desire to be a woman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Originally posted by ~Roh~

Yeah, I really don't buy the whole "If Im going to be staring at a butt all day it might as well be female" thing. During most of your gaming time you won't be looking at your character much at all. I think the % of guys play females who are really that pethatic and horny is small. I get the feeling the rest of them are just gender confused. I'm not hating on them for it. I just hope they can settle into who they really are at some point and come out of the closest.

Me? I play a game thinking it might be cool if I could do that! And "that" has never been "Be a famale". If the class I want is female only no biggy but given a the choice.. Im a man with no real desire to be a woman.

Heh....sounds like someone is upset that when he hits on female avatars he keeps finding males behind them. image

Me, I normally play my first avatar in any game as male, and while most of my characters are male every now and then I walk on the wild side and play a female avatar as well.

But see, thing is, I don't really identify myself with my avatar, I view it as a being I control, but I'm certainly always in 3rd person god-mode when I do it.

Not being much of a role player this isn't an issue, and one thing I've never done is pretend to be a woman in game for any reason, because, well, I'm not.

I'm a G.I.R.L. (Guy in real life) and proud of it! image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon