Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite skills

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I just love how they ballanced elite skills at a 3 minutes cooldown.... I have allways hated skills with huge cooldowns.... 3 minutes seems just perfect in a world where you only have 10 skills max in your bar (Tough more avaialble through weapon switching and such)

What do you guys prefer.... somewhat less powerfull (but still really strong) eliteskills on a 3 minutes cooldown timer... Or very powerfull skills on a ten minute cooldown timer...

My mind is set and i hope theyll keep them at 180 secconds... (previous builds had 600 secconds cooldown timers)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

*runs around kiting this thread for 3 minutes, then replies elitely*

Sounds fine imo. You have to be able to rely on them. Too long of a cooldown makes it's use an oddity instead of a certainty and a reason to cry foul in pvp by oponents: "LOL U USED SPINERIPPER CHEATER, MY INSTANT LOBOTOMY WASN'T EVEN UP LOL"

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by DarkPony

Sounds fine imo. You have to be able to rely on them. Too long of a cooldown makes it's use an oddity instead of a certainty and a reason to cry foul in pvp by oponents: "LOL U USED SPINERIPPER CHEATER, MY INSTANT LOBOTOMY WASN'T EVEN UP LOL"

LOL the funny thing is...some of the elites are that powerful.

Personally I like the lower cooldowns.  Anet said that when they were longer, the team who used an elite first would usually lose.  Now they are kind of a shock and awe skill or a save the day skill or...just a flat out deterant.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

From what I've seen in the PvP videos, I don't like the 3 minute cooldowns. It ends up translating into somebody using their elite skill pretty much constantly...it's annoying and seems to end up nullifying a lot of options for skilled play. If the answer to a lot of fights is always going to be to pop your elite, then a lot of depth is removed from the game.

I suggested a compromise, since I do think that 10-12 minute cooldowns were too long. What about a cooldown of 3 minutes, and then a gain in power for each minute after that up to 9 minutes or something? So if you popped the skill right at 3 minutes, it would be just a bit more powerful than a regular skill, and not quite so fight-changing. If you let it charge up longer, it would become more powerful each minute until 9 minutes, when it would be seriously powerful game changer that allowed a player to turn the tide at just the right moment.

I'm sure they probably won't do that...but I don't like the three minute timers when I saw them in actual game play. There's nothing "elite" about becoming a tornado or a lich every single time you get in a fight during a PvP match.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I don't like long cooldowns at all. It is no way to balance a skill.

I don't want to be in a situation where I can't engage because my elite is not up -> elite is the game maker.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Fozzik

From what I've seen in the PvP videos, I don't like the 3 minute cooldowns. It ends up translating into somebody using their elite skill pretty much constantly...it's annoying and seems to end up nullifying a lot of options for skilled play. If the answer to a lot of fights is always going to be to pop your elite, then a lot of depth is removed from the game.

I suggested a compromise, since I do think that 10-12 minute cooldowns were too long. What about a cooldown of 3 minutes, and then a gain in power for each minute after that up to 9 minutes or something? So if you popped the skill right at 3 minutes, it would be just a bit more powerful than a regular skill, and not quite so fight-changing. If you let it charge up longer, it would become more powerful each minute until 9 minutes, when it would be seriously powerful game changer that allowed a player to turn the tide at just the right moment.

I'm sure they probably won't do that...but I don't like the three minute timers when I saw them in actual game play. There's nothing "elite" about becoming a tornado or a lich every single time you get in a fight during a PvP match.

Nice idea but still ... I think all abilities should be reasonably powered and not I-win-buttons.

Whether your elite skill is up and/or fully charged should not be the main factor in determining the outcome in a 1 vs. 1 pvp encounter.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I agree. I love 3 minutes for the cooldowns. In other MMOs I've played, once the cooldown on a skill exceeds a few minutes, you end up not using it very often, because you are affraid of not having it for some "Oh Sh^%" moment. Knowing how to react to someone using their elite, in PvE or PvP, will also make a difference for skilled game play.

All the timers seem to work well for the type of game play they have designed. Your weapon skills have the fastest cooldowns, with some being longer than others. You Profession based skills on the right hand bar have longer cooldowns and tend to be more tactical.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Well, I do like that they pulled the 'you're invulnerable' from the form changes.  That means they're not actually a one-size-fits-all sort of solution.

I've seen a couple PvE videos where tornados get shot to death.  Just dodge them (They're not as mobile as a proper player) then burn them down from a distance. :)

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by DarkPony

I like this explanation. Very long cd skills tend to be powerful enough to change the fight completely. 3min cds is imo a good spot for your "strong" skills.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Compared to the original GW, 3 minutes seems very long. In fact in GW I think 60 seconds was the logest of cooldowns for elite skills with shortest being 2 seconds. I'm surprised that they are 3 min. cooldown but at the same time I don't know how it affects PvP and PvE.

• BridgerBridger Member Posts: 77

I really like this concept.  No matter what the cooldown is, if the skill is very powerful, the optimal strategy is to use it as soon as it would be effective so that you can use it as much as posible.  If it's on a 10 minute cooldown, it's basically a once per life ability in competitive PVP (unless you are doing really well and stay alive for a long ass time).

I'd love to see some tradeoff to using an elite skill more often vs. saving it and using a more powerful version of it.

• RameiArashiRameiArashi Member UncommonPosts: 294

I don't care what they do to skills in PVP as long as it does not screw up skills for PVE, like they're nerfeing skills in GW1 tended to.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

To me a long cooldown means that its a skill I will barely ever use.  Not because it takes a long time to use it again, but more because I just dont get accustomed to using it.  I mean if I have to wait ten minutes or half an hour to use it again its just not a habit forming skill.   I'll barely ever really remember to use it except in a desperate situation where Im about to die and just start doing desperate things to get by. 

A 3 min. cooldown is just right.  Its long enough so that its not spammed but short enough that I'll be able to keep it in mind as a viable skill while playing.  Any longer would be pushing it in my case. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by RameiArashi

I don't care what they do to skills in PVP as long as it does not screw up skills for PVE, like they're nerfeing skills in GW1 tended to.

Well, i think GW2 will be strictly ballanced around PvP.... PvE ballance is of the past as all players and classes play with the same goal in mind, what does it matter if a single class is a little stronger in PvE, people all have the same goal at mind....

And if PvP is ballanced, then PvE should be reasonably ballanced too.... espescially in this game where there isn't to much difference in how you play in PvE and PvP.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

This is a pretty god damned good idea imo...

Nice thought

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Well, i think GW2 will be strictly ballanced around PvP.... PvE ballance is of the past as all players and classes play with the same goal in mind, what does it matter if a single class is a little stronger in PvE, people all have the same goal at mind....

And if PvP is ballanced, then PvE should be reasonably ballanced too.... espescially in this game where there isn't to much difference in how you play in PvE and PvP.

They set the game up specifically so that PvE and PvP could be handled separately. They will be balancing separately and handling the rulesets separately. That's how they can do things like equalize power and gear in one type of PvP, while allowing for looting of opposing players (there will be a normal loot table in WvWvW) and leveling up in another form of PvP, without changing the PvE ruleset at all.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Atleast one PvE player was quite butthurt with GW1's choice to balance skills with PvP in mind (before they separated PvP skills and PvE skills). It was in another thread not too long ago...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I kind of liked the way Vanguard did their Druid, they had skills that used 'phenomena points', you had a pool of points, and each skill used 'x' number of points.  Some were very powerful, but points only regened at like 1 point per minute...When you died, they did not go to full, so in pvp you could spend your points, but then you are pretty SOL, for a while, if you go to E.

A lot of people didn't like it, they felt it took to long to get your points back, but you could do something like this and increase the regen rate or whatever, if you had skills that took these points, I think it makes it more flexible, if you are in trouble and need to use the points, they can save you, if you can't control yourself, you wouldn't have them to help you out.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

I personally don't like cooldowns greater than 1 minute, unless it's an "oh shi.." ability, which I don't mind.