Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I must be alone in liking Hellgate

JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

I'm actually enjoying this game. But again I enjoyed the first one too.

I am curious about those who didn't like the first game and then figured the second game would be somehow different.

I really don't understand the people who complain about the graphics. I remember the first game and that when you entered dark rooms with dx10 the special helmit wouldn't work and you had to revert to dx9. Not that that shouldn't have been fixed and that there should be a dx10 game. Nevertheless I'd suggest to those who are disappointed with the graphics go play another action RPG with better graphics than Hellgate. I would follow if someone would point  the way.

This is a free game at least to the end of act 2. The original game only had a few quests in the demo and you couldn't get passed Holborn station. I'm actually thankful that Hanbit is making more of the game free.

How about the bugs? Yes there are bugs in this version, but nothing like the original version. I don't know how many times I ran into a memory leak in the first version, the pc would freeze, and I'd have to hard boot the pc.

For the ones complaining about lag or that the marketplace doesn't work, I think this is why the game is open beta. It's not as if Hanbit says the game is ready. I think you should expect this in beta. You do notice the servers going down a lot to fix problems like this. Lag is a problem in beta too. Yet 90+% of the time I've had no problems. And most of the rest of the time there was a 1/2 to 1 second delay when I swung the sword. I think a lot of it has to do with the number of people online right now testing the server. I expect that will settle down in a few weeks.

Hanbit has simplified the game. They aren't trying to please everyone like Flagship tried to do.  They are more interested in making the game work. Plus they have added content in the last few years I would love to play. I got to stonehenge before and really enjoyed it. Personally I can't wait to try the other areas in Hellgate like Abyss and Tokyo.

Right now the only money I plan to spend in the item shop is to gain access to all the areas and to increase my inventory and storage, especially to share loot with other toons. I figure that will be much cheaper than monthly fees.

I guess now it's time to run smack on me for my opinion.

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

No, I love the game - and I always did.

I can't agree that it's being handled in a good way, though. Then again, I don't really see the merit in taking the work of others and profiting by it.

I'd be more impressed if they didn't charge people for in-game content/items during a beta with gigantic login/technical issues.

Call it open beta and wait until it's ready - THEN you can start charging people money.

In fact, that would be the intelligent thing to do.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

I like it - a fun little game

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I do like the game.  I don't think I'll be playing it long term but it's a fun distraction for the short term.

The Graphics don't bother me to much.  I don't get torn up over super high graphics in MMO's and F2P games especially.  They are watchable which is good enough for me.

I don't get all the complaints about the ticket into Act 3 really.  It's a pretty typical F2P mechanic and is employed in DDO and LOTR's to great effect.  And on the plus side you can spend a day or two grinding and buy the ticket if you really want to with in game money which is something many western F2P games don't let you do.  I do worry about what will find it's way into those currently empty weapon and armor tabs on the store and if they will make the rest of the gear in the game look pitiful but those have not been put in the game yet.  

Bugs in a new game launch?  Say it isn't so.

Yesterday the marketplace lag was fixed for me completely.  So they are at least working on the issues.

Overall all I do enjoy the game and really like the feel of guns in the game.  The major reasons I don't think I'll be playing this game long term are 1. I have seen no need to group at all so far and with the amount of stuff you need to break down to upgrade your gear you will need to grind a lot of solo instances anyways.  2.  I find myself not caring about the lore at all.  It's just poorly written and even more poorly delivered.  3.  The gear system has a Perfect World feel to it in that with enough money from the cash shop you can make yourself way more powerful than someone who doesn't want to spend the money.  That might not matter to much in a non open PVP game but it still bugs me a bit.

Overall like I said at the start I like the game but don't feel it's a long term home for me.  I am currently at the end of act 2 and trying to decide if I should buy a ticket with cash/in game money or just uninstall the game now.  I would probably be more interested in continuing forward if it wasn't for the horrible way the lore is presented so far.  It's like a bad english translation for a already poorly written story. 

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

You are not alone. I've loved this game since it released. Still love it - bugs and all! To date it's the only quasi mmo that I can get my father and brother to play with me (they are WoW addicts and I kicked the habit 2 years ago).

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

I have to admit during my playtime in hellgate london at launch i had a lot of fun ,the kind of fun that u meet in games like diablo, only with 3d grafix . Combat was sumple but somehow addictive and it gave me the fewling i had when i was playing diablo I and II years and years ago. Nice weapons and weapons usage, thrilling enviroments ,sometimes during night when i was playing Hellgate at some spots i had that wird chill u get sometimes due to its atmosphere etc etc

I m not quite sure what path they choosed to follow now tbh couple last years i havent followed the game ,but i hope they try to make it feel alive withmore ppl ,so players can form parties and venture and adventure together in dark places and have fun.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

I actually liked this game a lot first but eventually got bored with the game pretty quick. Took like 3-4 long playsessions to realise it's not really made for me. I just think it get's too "grindy", too fast.

There's few things why I don't feel comfortable playing the game:

- Skills. There's so few skills per class. I get that nasty "oh man, I'm playing some horrible console rpg"-feeling.

- Freezes. Game still has the same issues the original HG:L had. For some reason the game comes to a suddenly halt that lasts ages, then you are dead. It's not network latency, nor an issue where people play games maxed out with a hamster under the hood - and it's frustrating when that is the only reason you die in this game.

- The company running the game. It's like the game is run by a bunch of first timers. They keep patching client way too many times per day, which gives you the "wtf?! again? are you serious?"-feeling. Even the OBT trailer looks like it's filmed and edited my a 15 yrs old student. I'm not sensing the professionalism here.

Besides those issues, the core game feels nice. I don't mean to bash the game or the guys liking it, but for some reason it's just not enough for me. I just think it's missing something important. I dunno, maybe it's the whole instanced system that annoys me and I miss seeing other players.

• weenstanweenstan Member Posts: 15

I thoroughly enjoyed it when it came out and I plan to check it out again.

• KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

I sought of plan to get into it again, but for now it is still in its beta phase right?  When a date is actually set then I will download the client and start from scratch again. 

As for Hellgate: London, I still play it once in a while.  One month after I decided to finally pay for 3 months with HL they were closing the game down that next week.  I missed it somehow and had a heck of a time getting my money back, but I did.  I had a lot of fun in that short amount of time.

I remember the big glob boss that you had to beat after pulling him through Spiral stairs.  And of course I remember the library which I did like 8 times with all my created characters.  I also remember Picadilly circus.  Yes I got that far.

I was disappointed they shut it down.

As for the peoples complaining about the graphics, the old one had very repetitive graphics, BUT the maps were random, which was nice.  The streets looked all the same, but the different areas did changed some.  I definately remember the tunnels changing each time I played it with a different character.

I hope they make a big announcement with the release of Hellgate Global.  I saw the trailer and 75% of it is the old trailer for Hellgate London.

Hey thanks for getting servers up and running again.

GlassEye

• miramira2miramira2 Member UncommonPosts: 76

I really like this game too. I played it at launch and have played the single-player version on and off since then. It is actually a fun game, and I don't think the graphics are that bad (except for the stiff-looking animations). Try it - it is free ....

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

The only problem I have with the game is the FPS lockup issue many people are getting with higher settings. It's not the fact that people are putting settings too high, because it runs fine most of the time, but randomly has huge FPS drops to >1fps and it lasts for anywhere from 5secs to minutes long with little consistency on when and where it happens.

I literally couldn't go one fight earlier today on my summoner without it happening, and I get it half the time on my guardian. It's reallly annoying, to the point I just rage quit earlier to play something else since it literally was unplayable.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Alekhin

1)  disappointed with the graphics (doesn't sound like much has improved).

This is a free game at least to the end of act 2. - (so, not really free).

How about the bugs? Yes there are bugs in this version. (some folks won't tolerate this).

For the ones complaining about lag  (one of the worst offenses of any online game) .

that the marketplace doesn't work (still?).

I think this is why the game is open beta. (you don't relaunch a game into a beta state, round 2 should be darn near perfect).

And most of the rest of the time there was a 1/2 to 1 second delay when I swung the sword. (one second is a long time).

I think a lot of it has to do with the number of people online right now testing the server. (not a valid excuse, they should be able to handle the load by now).

Hanbit has simplified the game. - (many folks want more complex games).

Right now the only money I plan to spend in the item shop is to gain access to all the areas and to increase my inventory and storage, especially to share loot with other toons. I figure that will be much cheaper than monthly fees. - (cash shop MMO's are despised by many).

No need to run smack, your OP pretty much contained all the reasons why people are staying away from this title.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

I have not played the Beta, but do you guys remember 2005? This game was supposed to have been the Diablo 3 everyone had been waiting for. It was Ex-Blizzard people, it was a high budget, random areas/loot so in theory it should never get boring, it would not a monthly fee, it would have a single player, there would be pvp, it would the ultimate combo of rpg and action.

The result was not this. There is somewhere in the code of Hellgate, a Blueprint to what could have been a new world of warcraft. Execution was completely off. They spent a long time on it too. The blame might lay in management and not good enough planning. For such a delayed product it was incredible how terrible the story and quests were, how useless the single player was.

Just like APB, the payment model was completely retarded. Just like APB, we (the community) warned them about what would happen. Even if Hardcore gamers are going to pay for something like this, their more gaming casual friends will not, and they will find free alternatives instead, leaving the hardcores who do want to play it alone.

I spent a very long time, on Hellgateguru, waiting for this game, finding info about it, watching previews. It's not a terrible game, but it's not very good either. I think Global Agenda is a better executed game, but the setting and artstyle is much more cool in Hellgate. And Hellgate has a very nice lootsystem.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Alekhin

1)  disappointed with the graphics (doesn't sound like much has improved).

This is a free game at least to the end of act 2. - (so, not really free).

How about the bugs? Yes there are bugs in this version. (some folks won't tolerate this).

For the ones complaining about lag  (one of the worst offenses of any online game) .

that the marketplace doesn't work (still?).

I think this is why the game is open beta. (you don't relaunch a game into a beta state, round 2 should be darn near perfect).

And most of the rest of the time there was a 1/2 to 1 second delay when I swung the sword. (one second is a long time).

I think a lot of it has to do with the number of people online right now testing the server. (not a valid excuse, they should be able to handle the load by now).

Hanbit has simplified the game. - (many folks want more complex games).

Right now the only money I plan to spend in the item shop is to gain access to all the areas and to increase my inventory and storage, especially to share loot with other toons. I figure that will be much cheaper than monthly fees. - (cash shop MMO's are despised by many).

I find this post odd. You have been a poster I actually enjoyed reading your opinion over the years, and that's why I'm confused why you would be unfair and somewhat rude.

First, I agree  some of your criticisms are justified. Still why reply to a post made 11 days old, and then criticize problems that have already been fixed over a week ago? You take many of my opinions out of context so you can make your rebuttal have more weight.

Second, the topic of the thread is "I must be alone in liking Hellgate". The reason for the thread was to find others who also like the game and that I wasn't alone. It was meant to be a positive thread. The topic wasn't about "I don't like Hellgate at all and here is why". That is off topic. I already know people are staying away. Heaven forbid there are enough topics explaining why. That is why I started this thread.

Not even one word why you like the game. So why post here? Why hijack my thread?

Third, because of this reply, already the thread is moving in a different direction and off topic. You can do what you want with this thread now. I have no desire in getting into a flame war.

No need to run smack, your OP pretty much contained all the reasons why people are staying away from this title.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I feel as if it's still the same game, not enough new to interest me.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by moosecatlol

I feel as if it's still the same game, not enough new to interest me.

Of course it's going to be the same game.... it is the same game. All they did was add content. (most of which is after act 2)

• miramira2miramira2 Member UncommonPosts: 76

And it is still fun!

• painhelmetpainhelmet Member UncommonPosts: 9

I'm having a blast playing it with a bunch of my friends.  I can't remember where I read this, but I'm pretty certain this open beta is essentially the headstart (to lazy to find the source on their website :P  ).  I'm pretty certain they said they won't do a character wipe since they opened the cash shop, so if you're interested in playing it but haven't tried it yet, go for it.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

I like HG :)

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351

This game is hella fun, fast paced crawler with team content, randon loot etc.

I love how u dont just loot x and u are done, you have to get lootx with good basic stats for your build and the try for perfect augments!