Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW Annual Pass is the Best thing to Happen to GW2

MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Regardless of your opinion of  WoW or the Annual pass...the following may still be true:

Think about it: with thousands locked into a $15/mo until October of 2012 which new game are those WoW players more likely to play? The answer is the game that doesn't require a second sub.  This is a huge win for GW2 but might spell a bit of trouble for the long term sub numbers for SWTOR.  

1. Play WoW + SWTOR = $30/mo.

2. Play WoW + GW2 = $15/mo.

Again, you might not like WOW or even play it, but the fact is that millions of players do and will be potential customers for new games.

Edit: I'm talking specifially about the thousands of players who have already committed to one year of wow with the annual pass, so that's why swtor + gw2 isn't really one of the choices, at least until October of 2012.

Comments

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

swtor+gw is more adequat. what is wow btw? never hear of it?!

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

Regardless of your opinion of  WoW or the Annual pass...the following may still be true:

Think about it: with thousands locked into a $15/mo until October of 2012 which new game are those WoW players more likely to play? The answer is the game that doesn't require a second sub.  This is a huge win for GW2 but might spell a bit of trouble for the long term sub numbers for SWTOR.  

1. Play WoW + SWTOR = $30/mo.

2. Play WoW + GW2 = $15/mo.

Again, you might not like WOW or even play it, but the fact is that millions of players do and will be potential customers for new games.

3. WoW + D3 = $15/mo - Any item you sell in RMT

Seems to be more likely than 1 and 2. In fact if it is a budget consideration, no sub would be most likely. If it is not, then :

4. WoW +SWTOR +GW2 +D3 +etc. depending on how much play time someone has.

Cheers.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Can we just round up all the dev teams, leave them at a parking lot with a goodly amount of lethal weaponry and get this over with already?

That'd be great. Thank you.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Originally posted by mazut

I'm talking about those thousands of annual pass subscribers who are committed to subbing for 12 months of wow...and yes, thousands have already done it.  Those folks are more likely to play GW2 as their second game becuase they're already paying for the wow sub.  It doesnt' matter if you don't like wow, the fact is that  those customers aren't likely to take on a second sub.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Option 2 isn't actually what gw2 want though is it. They are fully intending for you to spend about the same as a monthly sub p/a

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Option 2 isn't actually what gw2 want though is it. They are fully intending for you to spend about the same as a monthly sub p/a

If a store in gw2 will be similar to one they have in gw1, that will not be the case

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by gobla

Can we just round up all the dev teams, leave them at a parking lot with a goodly amount of lethal weaponry and get this over with already?

That'd be great. Thank you.

Mike O'Brien, where did you get a hand grenade?

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

That would be like playing retirement home bingo + full contact cage boxing

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

That would be great!

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

wow ?

i rather go for SWTOR + GW

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Originally posted by Zzad

wow ?

No problem with that option, but you aren't Annual Pass subscribed so this thread isn't specifically about your situation.  My point is that GW2 folks must be thrilled that all those thousands of Annual pass folks will most likely be playing GW2 as their new game rather than SWTOR since SWTOR would require a second sub.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

wow ?

No problem with that option, but you aren't Annual Pass subscribed so this thread isn't specifically about your situation.  My point is that GW2 folks must be thrilled that all those thousands of Annual pass folks will most likely be playing GW2 as their new game rather than SWTOR since SWTOR would require a second sub.

You keep leaving out the fact that the annual pass comes with D3. Personally, I would play D3 over GW3 if I had an annual pass.

But again, fantasy game + fantasy game = boring redundance to me.

• TribovineTribovine Member UncommonPosts: 10

I tend to agree that there will be a certain amount of players that took the annual pass and likely to try GW2 however I won't be in that category.  

Personally I'm looking at BF3 + GW2 + D3 = $0 per month and covers all my gaming needs.  :)

If I'm going to sub to a game I'm holding out for one that will cleanly merge FPS + RPG + MMO. 

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I follow the logic, and I mostly agree with it.  But in the grand scheme of the MMO population, I think the number of players who will purchase that WoW annual pass will be relatively small, (as you said, in the thousands.)  Presumably, *most* of those players are still very into WoW at the moment and are greatly looking forward to D3.  These 2 games can easily consume 100% of your gaming time for the next year if you're really enjoying them.  If you're still that excited about these 2 games, GW2 probably isn't high on your radar.  So of the relatively small number of players who will take this deal, only a small portion of them would actually play GW2 or even SWTOR.  

I agree that this will probably occur, but I'd guess it's overall effect on the population of GW2 will be minimal, certainly not "the best thing to happen to GW2."  

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

wow ?

Way too many baseless assumptions going on here... WoW fans who are shelling out money for an annual pass are WOW fan, and I doubt many of them will be playing GW2.  They've already got their second game:  Diablo 3.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Tribovine

Personally I'm looking at BF3 + GW2 + D3 = $0 per month and covers all my gaming needs.  :)

Now that is a winning combination :D

• LatellaLatella Member Posts: 189

I am an annual pass player and i agree with this thread.

Because gw2 is without a sub,  it becomes much more confortable to play both,  than to play another subscription based game.

Rawr.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

i dont really understand the Logic in this.

Wouldnt it be save to assume that the ppls getting the 1 year pass are the ones who didnt plan to change to another game to begin with (or the ones who pay for more than 1 mmo)?

I mean if i would play WOW and i knew i would wanna try SWOTOR once it comes but could not afford to pay for 2 MMOs wouldnt i just not get the pass??

Well maybe i would be too stupid to be able to plan ahead if i would play WOW...i dunno but like i said i have a hard time seeing a valid point in your logic.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

I'm talking about those thousands of annual pass subscribers who are committed to subbing for 12 months of wow...and yes, thousands have already done it.  Those folks are more likely to play GW2 as their second game becuase they're already paying for the wow sub.  It doesnt' matter if you don't like wow, the fact is that  those customers aren't likely to take on a second sub.

I have one word for this people, but I want use it here ;)

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by Lobotomist

That would be like playing retirement home bingo + full contact cage boxing

UFC Seniors?

I'd so pay to see that.

Granddad Death vs. Tramadol Man.