Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To all you MOD's

2»

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I cannot confirm nor deny anything.

Every time I post an opinion I get banned.

This post will thusly be purely objective.

The mods here may/may not be amazing/overzealous.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Originally posted by blackthornn

Originally posted by Soliloquy

problem with this, atleast the dozen or so times i've been temp banned from this site, is there is NO warning, suddently your browser is no longer finding the page and banned appears in the url adress.

Kinda hard to inbox MikeB when you cannot access the site.  Once the temp ban is over, well, what's the point bitching about it since the temp ban is done.  Glad to see it's not as rediculous as it was around the launches of Aion and Darkfall tho, was an overly banhappy time in mmorpg.com's history.  Still, I don't post much now due to that time that's for sure.

You can always email [email protected] in that case. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by darker70

Yeah i got a ban for actually helping somebody but i may have inferred something about a mod just in jest, as usual and was rather impressed when i got a sincere e-mail and an apology from the site after i explained my side of the story.

But if u let people out of the funy farm with out meds u get the occasional nutcase and no body/mod or otherwise should be exposed to that.

Same here.  In my case, Mike B has both apologized AND sided with the MOD's on two different occasions.  In retrospect, methinx he was fair in both cases.

In my current sitch, being in SWTOR beta, it's frustrating how strict their NDA stance is, particularly when you have an abundance of trolls that completely make up crap about the game and you're restricted from responding meaningfully.  But, in their shoes, I wonder if I wouldn't be the same way.  I'm just glad THEY got the NDA lifted, at least on something, so they can say what I can't.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Fully agree with the OP.

Took some time for me to adjust to the stricter modificashun, but all in all it became a better forum place because of it. Nobody likes to spend time in a cesspool of personal attacks. (Even though most of us are tempted to make one, occasionaly).

Also if your complaint about a decision or warning is reasonable they are too.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by DarkPony

Fully agree with the OP.

Took some time for me to adjust to the stricter modificashun, but all in all it became a better forum place because of it.

Yep.  If a few people have to feel "unfairly picked on", it's worth the  much better forum.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by blackthornn

Originally posted by Soliloquy

My first thought is that one person's heavy moderation is another person's "just right" moderation. Or, "not enough moderation".

In the end, MikeB is the last word on moderation. As always consult the Rule of Conduct. I understand that not everyone has the same method of expressing themselves but with such a large group of people visiting this site it is important to have some sort of a barometer for one to consult. The "rules of conduct" is that barometer.

If a mod has made a mistake then MikeB will revisit the decision. If he decides that the moderation isn't justified he will make a change. He has done this in the past and will continue to review all questionable moderation.

If he feels that the moderation was in line with the rules of this site he will let it stand.

Please keep in mind that humor is very subjective. So again be mindful of the "rules of conduct" and fit your humor around those guidelines.

Also be mindful of certain forums where it is stated that "increased moderation" is being conducted. This should be marked at the top of the forum section.

If you feel that a mod has made a bad call do not send a private message to that mod as it will just be turned over to MikeB and that will create a delay. Just send MikeB the message.

I realize this is not perfect but I hope it helps.

problem with this, atleast the dozen or so times i've been temp banned from this site, is there is NO warning, suddently your browser is no longer finding the page and banned appears in the url adress.

Kinda hard to inbox MikeB when you cannot access the site.  Once the temp ban is over, well, what's the point bitching about it since the temp ban is done.  Glad to see it's not as rediculous as it was around the launches of Aion and Darkfall tho, was an overly banhappy time in mmorpg.com's history.  Still, I don't post much now due to that time that's for sure.

When issued a temp ban or warning an email is sent to your MMORPG.com account inbox as well as the e-mail address registered to your forum account. Simply reply to your warning/ban e-mail to get to me. :)

• CacophanistCacophanist Member Posts: 100

I would say this is the best MMO site around but .... a friends account was banned over and over again. The reason being for "Trolling" when he was only epressing his negative opinion on the legion of of EQ/WOW clones out there and the boring lame and tired standard combat system the clones employ.

That is expressing an opinion and not trolling.

Apart from that the mods here are excellent.

You must allow people to express their exasperation about the developement of games like RIFT and SWTOR and how they offer nothing new to the genre. You must allow people to express how frustrated they are with people thinking all MMO games must be discussed in terms of DPS, tanks, healers, etc. You must allow people to express themselves about how pig sick they are with levels, quests and "battlegrounds".

The term MMO means a massively multiplayer online game. The term RPG means a role playing game. Those terms do not mean levels, instances, shitty combat, quests, DPS, healers and tanks! 

PlanetSide is an MMORPG - it is massively, multiplayer and online and you play a role of a soldier or commander with persistent character progression. It has full FPS style combat.

Darkfall is an MMORPG but does not have levels, instances, DPS or tanks - it does have twitch combat where player skill actually matters.

I wish I could go on but I can't as you then start mentioning games like Mortal Online, Earthrise, Xyson, etc that are great in what they promise but are very buggy and unfinished games.

Sorry i went off topic - basically great site but please let people express their opinions freely and stop the censoring.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Cacophanist

I would say this is the best MMO site around but .... a friends account was banned over and over again. The reason being for "Trolling" when he was only epressing his negative opinion on the legion of of EQ/WOW clones out there and the boring lame and tired standard combat system the clones employ.

That is expressing an opinion and not trolling.

Apart from that the mods here are excellent.

You must allow people to express their exasperation about the developement of games like RIFT and SWTOR and how they offer nothing new to the genre. You must allow people to express how frustrated they are with people thinking all MMO games must be discussed in terms of DPS, tanks, healers, etc. You must allow people to express themselves about how pig sick they are with levels, quests and "battlegrounds".

The term MMO means a massively multiplayer online game. The term RPG means a role playing game. Those terms do not mean levels, instances, shitty combat, quests, DPS, healers and tanks! 

PlanetSide is an MMORPG - it is massively, multiplayer and online and you play a role of a soldier or commander with persistent character progression. It has full FPS style combat.

Darkfall is an MMORPG but does not have levels, instances, DPS or tanks - it does have twitch combat where player skill actually matters.

I wish I could go on but I can't as you then start mentioning games like Mortal Online, Earthrise, Xyson, etc that are great in what they promise but are very buggy and unfinished games.

Sorry i went off topic - basically great site but please let people express their opinions freely and stop the censoring.

There are plenty of people complaining about "Wow clones" and "themeparks" who don't get warned or banned for it, same with people complaining about cash-shops, etc, etc.

For everything goes: "C'est le ton qui fait la musique"; it's not only what you say, but HOW you say it.

On a side note: stating your opinion as fact and your own preferences as dogma to which all mmorpgs should conform isn't helping you much in that plea. :-/

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

<>

There are plenty of people complaining about "Wow clones" and "themeparks" who don't get warned or banned for it, same with people complaining about cash-shops, etc, etc.

For everything goes: "C'est le ton qui fait la musique"; it's not only what you say, but HOW you say it.

On a side note: stating your opinion as fact and your own preferences as dogma to which all mmorpgs should conform isn't helping you much in that plea. :-/

Where did he state his own opinion as fact. Looks like all opinion to me. His entire post is in defense of "opinion." Who else did you think he was speaking for...you? Everyone? Is it really necessary that we all preface our posts with "IN MY OPINION." Let's just assume that it's all opinion.

• CacophanistCacophanist Member Posts: 100

Originally posted by Jimmac

<>

Where did he state his own opinion as fact. Looks like all opinion to me. His entire post is in defense of "opinion." Who else did you think he was speaking for...you? Everyone? Is it really necessary that we all preface our posts with "IN MY OPINION." Let's just assume that it's all opinion.

Yes what I was trying to say was that we should be able to express our opinions negative or positive about games and the way MMOs are going.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Jimmac

<>

Yes what I was trying to say was that we should be able to express our opinions negative or positive about games and the way MMOs are going.

You are, as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct when doing so.

Three simple steps for avoiding trouble on our forums:

1. Treat your fellow community members with civility and respect, even if you disagree with them. (This is the biggest one.)

2. If you don't like some game or some developer, don't post in every thread related to said game or developer to express this. Behavior factors in. Someone who takes up residencei n a particular game forum just to slam the game at every opportunity is going to get in trouble.

3. If you don't like something, just posting to say that it sucks without anything to back that up looks like trolling to us. It looks like you're just trying to ruffle feathers/get a rise out of people.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

As someone who's felt the twitch related to forum banning... sometimes I deserved it, sometimes I called it like I saw it.  Whenever I've had issues I've emailed my ban email to MikeB with my exact reasons for my thoughts.  I even had an apology once!  You gotta think about how hard it is when you have hundreds of people who's opinions drastically differ (GW2 v. TOR, Pandas, to name the most recent).  Cutting some of that before it gets too bad is more important that allowing stuff like that to fester.  

So now, I bite my tongue, count to 10, and let'm have my opinion.  I might get temp banned in the future but I have learned to rephrase my "no, you're stupid" into something more constructive because of it.