Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To all you MOD's

rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

Please don't let a few bad apples get you down.

Without you this forums would deteriotate into a cesspool.

Most of us appreciate you, please don't stop the good work.

Im not a fanboi, but someone who values these forums as a place for information, fun, and usualy rational conversations , opinions or arguments.

Comments

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 493

I would normally be waving the flag right next to you on something like this, being a long time forum moderator myself. However, a few bad apples exist on the MMORPG side as well and some of their moderators need to either be retrained or shown the door. They are giving this site a bad reputation among the community.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by Warzod

I would normally be waving the flag right next to you on something like this, being a long time forum moderator myself. However, a few bad apples exist on the MMORPG side as well and some of their moderators need to either be retrained or shown the door. They are giving this site a bad reputation among the community.

Agreed. Some users truly deserve the warning/bans that are dished out but some of the mods here are a bit overzealous...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

Well the problem is people think they are too strict, but without eliminating certain troll like posts or "attacks that seem funny at the time" a thread can do downhill pretty fast.

its like the Police, they sometimes get the wrong guy, but overall its the best system there is that can be in place at the time with the resources given.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

+1

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Yeah i got a ban for actually helping somebody but i may have inferred something about a mod just in jest, as usual and was rather impressed when i got a sincere e-mail and an apology from the site after i explained my side of the story.

But if u let people out of the funy farm with out meds u get the occasional nutcase and no body/mod or otherwise should be exposed to that.

p>
  • jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

Originally posted by kakasaki

Agreed. Some users truly deserve the warning/bans that are dished out but some of the mods here are a bit overzealous...

overzealous is too kind assuming that the MODs are rational at all times. From what I've seen, they're letting their feelings dictates their decisions, which is not a very good way in issuing judgment.

Ready for GW2!!!
  • eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I seem to always get in trouble wit moderators and Im generaly speaking not that flamboyant to draw unessesary attension and Iv almost deleted my account after getting baned for a few days on here and losing my sig and avatar but it wouldnt delete after clicking it for like 15 times  and here I still am, guess mmorpg wanted me around a bit longer.  I havent had any warnings as of late though, although Iv had a few threads moved and locked, it happens.

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Nothing against you OP ... but I prefer the bad apples post a little while ago!!!!

At least it made me laugh and not throw up in my mouth...

Originally posted by rubydragon5

Well the problem is people think they are too strict, but without eliminating certain troll like posts or "attacks that seem funny at the time" a thread can do downhill pretty fast.

its like the Police, they sometimes get the wrong guy, but overall its the best system there is that can be in place at the time with the resources given.

The problem is, MODs here don't act like a police, rather a judge, jury, and executioner.

They should first investigate the situation and hear both sides of the story, unless they caught you in the act, before issuing anything even a warning.

But hey, I'm just a traveler. ;)

Ready for GW2!!!
  • eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Originally posted by dirtyd77

Nothing against you OP ... but I prefer the bad apples post a little while ago!!!!

At least it made me laugh and not throw up in my mouth...

yea a bit melodramatic isnt it.

• SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

If you have issues with a bit of moderation or need clarification then please contact MikeB:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/mail/compose/nomailcheck/true/recipient/MikeB

He's a fair guy and he will listen to your side of the story.

As always consult the rules of conduct in case there is any confusion:

http://www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm#conduct

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

sorta like the rampant bannings over any negative posts about  a certain heavily advertised "hardcore" pvp game a while back?

like any negative commentary on Aion when it was the background and banner ad for the site?

oh, I'll probably be banned again like back then for pointing that out too. /sigh

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

I think the mods are pretty good usually you can give an email explainign yourself and they will revoke any warnings if it makes sense.

Try responding to warnings instead of crying to the forums in outrage mods are people too.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Mods rarely take context into consideration, so what sounds bad can actually be good, yet still result in a warning or ban. On the other hand, you can use this against them with contexual insults/flames that only the followers of a topic will understand. I imagine a lazy programmer could build a robot that does a better job than the moderators. :/

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Thanks for all the feedback (both positive and negative)!

I've got to be an evil "mod" and move this to site suggestions, however. You're more than welcome to continue offering feedback, just please remember to not post any private (email/PM) correspondence between any MMORPG.com staff members and yourself on the boards. Thanks!

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

People keep saying they need training, Or that they act like judge jury and executioner but im pretty sure they are doing a completely free service for us.

Also a mod's job isn't to wait until he hears both sides of a story, its to Act fast and prevent a mess from occuring.

I really think some people are way to picky from what they get when they get a  free service.

• inzane3inzane3 Member UncommonPosts: 103

People keep saying they need training, Or that they act like judge jury and executioner but im pretty sure they are doing a completely free service for us.

Also a mod's job isn't to wait until he hears both sides of a story, its to Act fast and prevent a mess from occuring.

I really think some people are way to picky from what they get when they get a  free service.

I couldn't agree more mate :) +!

I've had a few warnings and I deserved them because I didn't read the rules. Posting an invite for an MMORPG on non invite thread is a nono :P

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by jvxmtg

The problem is, MODs here don't act like a police, rather a judge, jury, and executioner.

They should first investigate the situation and hear both sides of the story, unless they caught you in the act, before issuing anything even a warning.

i think all forums have rules and if anyone breaks them at least a warning they should receive to start :)

but hey, im also a traveler :D

Originally posted by rojo6934

Originally posted by jvxmtg

i think all forums have rules and if anyone breaks them at least a warning they should receive to start :)

but hey, im also a traveler :D

travel well :P

Ready for GW2!!!
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Soliloquy

If you have issues with a bit of moderation or need clarification then please contact MikeB:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/mail/compose/nomailcheck/true/recipient/MikeB

I have been temp banned by MikeB for making posts which didn't attack anyone and were really just attempts at humour.  I initially thought that I should stand up for my right to speak, but I've accepted that "my right to speak" involves making my own webpage and if I'm on someone else's to just accept that they may not think the same as me, even if I'm witty, funny, comical or right.

I do, however, post alot less then I used to. I start to type things out and then mutter "why bother" to myself and view a different thread.  If the staff feel that moderation is in order, then maybe there is a reason for it that goes beyond the perspective that I might have.  It doesn't change the fact that if the moderation is alienating the readers, then people will move on and if everybody moves on, then they sure won't make much from advertising. All things naturally perpetuate an equilibrium.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

I do plenty of jobs without pay, and it doesn't even cross my mind to do a poor job. If I don't feel I am doing a top-notch job, I either step it up, tell the person in charge or find someone who can do it better.

Free is generally better as far as work goes, though the turnover rate is higher.

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

Originally posted by eyelolled

I have been temp banned by MikeB for making posts which didn't attack anyone and were really just attempts at humour.  I initially thought that I should stand up for my right to speak, but I've accepted that "my right to speak" involves making my own webpage and if I'm on someone else's to just accept that they may not think the same as me, even if I'm witty, funny, comical or right.

I do, however, post alot less then I used to. I start to type things out and then mutter "why bother" to myself and view a different thread.  If the staff feel that moderation is in order, then maybe there is a reason for it that goes beyond the perspective that I might have.  It doesn't change the fact that if the moderation is alienating the readers, then people will move on and if everybody moves on, then they sure won't make much from advertising. All things naturally perpetuate an equilibrium.

I'm going to highlight this part.

My first thought is that one person's heavy moderation is another person's "just right" moderation. Or, "not enough moderation".

In the end, MikeB is the last word on moderation. As always consult the Rule of Conduct. I understand that not everyone has the same method of expressing themselves but with such a large group of people visiting this site it is important to have some sort of a barometer for one to consult. The "rules of conduct" is that barometer.

If a mod has made a mistake then MikeB will revisit the decision. If he decides that the moderation isn't justified he will make a change. He has done this in the past and will continue to review all questionable moderation.

If he feels that the moderation was in line with the rules of this site he will let it stand.

Please keep in mind that humor is very subjective. So again be mindful of the "rules of conduct" and fit your humor around those guidelines.

Also be mindful of certain forums where it is stated that "increased moderation" is being conducted. This should be marked at the top of the forum section.

If you feel that a mod has made a bad call do not send a private message to that mod as it will just be turned over to MikeB and that will create a delay. Just send MikeB the message.

I realize this is not perfect but I hope it helps.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

My first thought is that one person's heavy moderation is another person's "just right" moderation. Or, "not enough moderation".

In the end, MikeB is the last word on moderation. As always consult the Rule of Conduct. I understand that not everyone has the same method of expressing themselves but with such a large group of people visiting this site it is important to have some sort of a barometer for one to consult. The "rules of conduct" is that barometer.

If a mod has made a mistake then MikeB will revisit the decision. If he decides that the moderation isn't justified he will make a change. He has done this in the past and will continue to review all questionable moderation.

If he feels that the moderation was in line with the rules of this site he will let it stand.

Please keep in mind that humor is very subjective. So again be mindful of the "rules of conduct" and fit your humor around those guidelines.

Also be mindful of certain forums where it is stated that "increased moderation" is being conducted. This should be marked at the top of the forum section.

If you feel that a mod has made a bad call do not send a private message to that mod as it will just be turned over to MikeB and that will create a delay. Just send MikeB the message.

I realize this is not perfect but I hope it helps.

problem with this, atleast the dozen or so times i've been temp banned from this site, is there is NO warning, suddently your browser is no longer finding the page and banned appears in the url adress.

Kinda hard to inbox MikeB when you cannot access the site.  Once the temp ban is over, well, what's the point bitching about it since the temp ban is done.  Glad to see it's not as rediculous as it was around the launches of Aion and Darkfall tho, was an overly banhappy time in mmorpg.com's history.  Still, I don't post much now due to that time that's for sure.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Oh yeah ive been temp banned a few times myself I think dont remember all of them but some of them, but for the most part here I have seen moderation here to be great. Yes GM's, or moderators are humans sometimes they do make mistakes, such as I remember once I posted a review of Mortal Online and it got flagged as an advertisement because the guy on YouTube said he was selling the game but really it was for showing the collectors contents of that game, so sometimes mistakes do occur, but hey I admit that it could have been taken as advertising but was not posted for such.

I have seen some of these forums spammed with Spam such as people advertising Jeans, or RL clothing for sale and such, and really I do not like such either, although I try myself to keep an open mind, not post anything offensive directed towards anyone is my main goal I use on forum sites, although sometimes something can turn into a flame with tons of random opinions like stuff about for example, Real Money Trading, Politics, PVP, Religion, Tech Stuff, ETC I keep an open mind and debate ideas.

The main reason I love this site for many years though is because it always has the latest news on latest releases of MMORPG's, although for the last couple of years I have not really seen any good actual MMO's that shock me to say much good about them, and I really await a great MMORPG to come out such as maybe FireFall, or something else.

The main thing I hate the most in certain MMO community currently, is GM Corruption, Griefers, and Trolls, yes there are some virtual worlds such as Second Life, IMVU, Mortal Online, which have Corrupted GM's, while I wasn't around to witness Mortal Online myself, I am glad that this site exists for posting opinions, ideas, and talk about such where otherwise the actual game developers quickly erase talk about such to avoid others seeing, and hey I have seen lots of great Unique MMO's out there, but for the last couple of years to me it seems to be on the decline.

So yeah to the MODS, I think they are doing a hell of a job here and yeah some of them mite make mistakes, but we all do in some way or another, and I myself would rather have clean MMO's without GM corruption, and great games, and community without Trolls, Griefers, or such, but the sad thing is there will never be a 100% clean legit MMO without such people, and yes I mean I am a GM, or a MOD on certain MMO's not actually of the entire game, but I have to make decisions sometimes of to ban a person, or what to do, and those decisions can sometimes be hard to make I try not to be rude, or unfair, and I do not just kick people out over ltitle things plus I actually clear my entire list every 6 months - 1 year, and like right now the great thing is there are only like 4 people on the list, and they are all bots, but that is a social game.

Yep maybe it is possible to improve this site such as the suspension system, or the temp ban system and such, but usually emailing the email that they give you when you get temp banned it actually works.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by eyelolled

<>

What you described is called the "chilling effect." Overmoderation kills discussions before they begin. This site right now is suffering from a very bad case of it.

But hey, stifled discussions are great if you prefer threads to be short and limited in information exchange.

In my opinion, the number one thing the mods on this site could do to be better mods is to not delete as many posts. I'm not saying there aren't posts (or even entire threads) that should be deleted. There are. What I'm saying is that only certain posts  need to be deleted. Types that should be deleted: 

- Pure spam posts

- Posts advocating or encouraging illegal activity

- Posts advertising or listing illegal servers (ie emulated servers for mmorpgs)

- Anything pornography related

- Beta leak information that the site admins feels it shouldn't allow

- I'm sure there are a few other very minor categories like these that I would say should be deleted as well

- Posts or comments criticizing moderation action in any thread on the forum except those threads in the "Site suggestion" category

Unless a post/thread is in one of the above categories, then the post/thread shouldn't be deleted. I'm also saying that portions of a post shouldn't be deleted, unless that portion falls into one of the categories above. Deleting content is outright creepy...

So what should happen then to the posts/threads that violate the forum rules of this site? Leave the offending content in the post, but the moderator should write in the post itself in red text that the author of the post has violated the forum rules and that the author of the post has been issued a warning. The offending text should stay in the post and not mod edited out, unless it falls into one of the categories above.

Really, outright deleting so many posts is my GUESS at the main cause of discontent at the moderators here. especially since many of the moderator's actions are questionable at best, and many times the posters had no idea a mod would consider their post in violation of the forum rules.

You might think that doing this will result in more people bitching about moderation in the actual threads themselves. Based on my experience with other websites that follow this system, the system works out well, and bitching about moderation is kept in the appropriate parts of the forum.