Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something has to change about this star system.

2»

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Slampig

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Loss of stars is to be worn like  a badge of honor. It means you aren't a mindless drone kissass. You say what you think. I don't think it should matter to you unless you're trying to win mmorpg.com forums or something.

Ha, I lose stars all the time, usually it coincides with all my temp bans...go figure.

I've only had one ban from this site I can recall, well two if you count that I at one point deleted this account and created a new one, can't go into detail on why the ban happened as that would be discussing moderation, but the issue was quickly resolved and this account was necroed.

I can prob count my number of warnings on two hands since 05, maybe slightly more as I have a bad memory. In short I rarley get warnings, hardly ever have been banned, yet my stars fluctuate like crazy. As I said in the OP most of my losses seem ti have been due to what someone else said that I happened to quote. No I don't quote posts with vulgar language, obvious straight out flames or severe trolling.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I guess all the Blues are soaking up their time in TOR (understandably), lol, I figured MikeB would have chimed in by now.image

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't care either way and I am surprised some of you do.

I don't bother checking out how many stars some people have, I am more interested in their opinions, and and of course if they can write them down in a good way. Some people sadly destroy great posts by making them into a huge wall of text or by spelling so horrible that it is hard to get their point.

Number of posts and stars are just fluff, this site is about discussing MMOs and often very interesting.

I am not really sure how they would make a good and fair system of stars anyways, and I think there are better stuff that could be improved on the forum than pure fluff.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Loke666
    I don't bother checking out how many stars some people have, I am more interested in their opinions, and and of course if they can write them down in a good way. Some people sadly destroy great posts by making them into a huge wall of text or by spelling so horrible that it is hard to get their point.
    Number of posts and stars are just fluff, this site is about discussing MMOs and often very interesting.
    I am not really sure how they would make a good and fair system of stars anyways, and I think there are better stuff that could be improved on the forum than pure fluff.

Says the guy with almost 5 stars.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Loke666

Stars are fluff, eh?  So says the five star man.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by grunty

I keep my replies short and succinct. I rarely have more than about 3.5 stars. Sometimes I post in threads I know will get deleted. Sometimes I post something I know will get deleted. A few times I've gotten a warning for those.

I like it that way. It lets me know some things about other people.

Sounds like to me that it doesn't let you know as much as you'd think.  I generally post short posts as well, and I also sometimes post in threads I know will get deleted.  I have been repeatedly warned and even banned for my smart ass ways and yet....I have 4 stars, sometimes almost 5.  What do you suppose my number of stars would have told you had I not already told you all that?  I don't think it accurately reflects a damn thing.  It's a useless system, imo. OR...maybe you discovered the system for having 3-4 stars.  heh

It tells me they like to hear themselves talk. It doesn't tell me whether they actually have anything to say.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by just1opinion

I keep my replies short and succinct. I rarely have more than about 3.5 stars. Sometimes I post in threads I know will get deleted. Sometimes I post something I know will get deleted. A few times I've gotten a warning for those.

I like it that way. It lets me know some things about other people.

Sounds like to me that it doesn't let you know as much as you'd think.  I generally post short posts as well, and I also sometimes post in threads I know will get deleted.  I have been repeatedly warned and even banned for my smart ass ways and yet....I have 4 stars, sometimes almost 5.  What do you suppose my number of stars would have told you had I not already told you all that?  I don't think it accurately reflects a damn thing.  It's a useless system, imo. OR...maybe you discovered the system for having 3-4 stars.  heh

It tells me they like to hear themselves talk. It doesn't tell me whether they actually have anything to say.

I don't think it even tells you THAT.  I've seen people with 5 stars that I rarely see posts from and people with NO stars (or less than one)  that comment for several days it seems, at least, in almost every thread......

I don't think the stars tell us anything consistently or accurately.  A system that DID....would be nice.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

The only time when my amount of stars is 4-5 is when Im active during a period. When I dont log in for a few months, it goes down rapidly. A warning also lowers your score, which makes the score system combined with the checking for activity kind of useless.

You cant derive anything from just the score. Someone with no stars and many posts, can be someone who was inactive for a while or someone who receives a lot of warnings. Which makes a huge difference if it comes to posting reputation. So without checking that person's recent activity, the score alone has no usefull meaning.

I had 5 stars at times that I was just posting bs in threads because I was bored. But because I didnt receive a warning, the score stayed high. I think, it just stayed high because I was active.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I have no stars because I get banned all the time.

Apparently, I get reported a lot?

Really don't feel like I ever say anything any worse then others do...

I haven't seen stars by my name in some time now.

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

The stars don't matter. That's all you need to know.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by BadSpock

Each time a post is deleted, that poster loses 5 points out of 100 total. With sarcasm and speaking your mind being a crime on these forums, it is easy to see why you and I rarely gain anything.

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Going by the title, I thought you were talking about space.

Some forums use a reputation system, which works pretty well in my opinion (as long as there is no option to take away rep). Giving a point per post that people approve of will quickly weed out those who are well-thought of by the community and those who are not.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Yeah, quite a lot to do with posting activity, don't see it realy does any special good. The system that is.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Stars, post count, join dates,they only serve one thing a dumb reputation war , I'm better then you, look at my 5 (currently back to 4 grr) star rating and I joined way earlier then you, and look I'm no dumb bullshit poster whit my few post over so many years against your 3500+ spam reply's.

Its a stupid hype thing from the early days when ratings and post count was cool.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

You just don't know how to work the system like me.... (which is what the star system really shows, who's pro) image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by Kyleran

You just don't know how to work the system like me.... (which is what the star system really shows, who's pro) image

You got a point there: even a really creative troll could have a 5-star rating. image

How do you calculate my rank?

Ranks are calculated every day at 2:00AM EST. They are only based on the last 30 days of data. We look at the following factors when determining your rank:

• How many days you visited the site (and logged in). This is also counted when you use our "autologin" feature.

• How much information you have posted in our forums (not the amount of posts)

• The quality of your posts. If you post lot of "filler" posts that only consist of a few words this will cost you rank points.

• Any posts of yours that had to be deleted will cost you 5 rank points (there are only 100 total). To prevent your posts from being deleted, please obey our Rules of Conduct.

http://www.mmorpg.com/faq.cfm/showFaq/6/How-do-you-calculate-my-rank.html

Thats it really... and since theres a whole bunch of ways to lose stars (including all of the Rules of conduct), it doesnt really say a lot about the poster. A funny thing is if you dont log in in a month => you lose ALL stars instantly. image

Personally I just think they look flashy; I'd hate to see them go away. image image

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190

Anybody worried about their stars on a forum probably should re-evaluate their priorities. Just sayin:P

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

That was useful info!  Now I know, more stars = troll!

I find it hard to believe anyone with useful information to provide will have a consistant high post count per day/week/month. 

I do visit this site daily so I guess that provides a good point boost O.o

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Actually, looks like I screwed up when issuing you that custom title awhile back. Will fix -- stars will adjust appropriately. ;)

EDIT: Or not. Looks like you had enough star points for a legit 5/5 anyways. You will lose star points normally now, however, sorry!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by MikeB

Actually, looks like I screwed up when issuing you that custom title awhile back. Will fix -- stars will adjust appropriately. ;)

ROFL, I knew I should have kept my mouth shut. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon