Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player: Question(s) about combat

xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I started playing this last night and need some clarificiation on the combat system.

Here is what I experienced about the combat steps:

1)Target mob

2)Press desired skill

3)Click mob again to enact above skill specifying whether you want the AOE version or not and it casts.

So generally you are just adding another step in there(#3 to be specific). I read about combat previously with people saying its slower and more laid back. But I didnt know that was because of the extra mob click needed to cast.

I understand there may be a maybe a macro so that final click isnt neccesary but why not just have default be NON-AOE and if you want AOE you press CTRL or something when clicking the skill?

Sometimes in 3rd person mode when you are doing step 3 above I end up targetting myself and therefore not casting, where I then must switch to first person mode or move around so that I can pull off step 3.

So am I missing something here? If the answer is making a macro for each skill so that it will go off then so be it. I dont see the extra-click at this point as making combat more challenging or engaging.  I expected combat to be slower paced due to the mob HP or cast times, or the need for reactionary skills or CC.... and not because of an extra skill to get actions off.

Is this something thats possible to get used to and appreciate?

Comments

• TheFirst109TheFirst109 Member UncommonPosts: 182

Hmm I do think something is wrong there. I usually target the mob and then when I hit the ability it goes off. You can toggle aoe on and off (for spells that have the option) by pressing the Z key on your keyboard. I almost always have aoe off unless I'm fighting a group of weaker mobs.

But yea, I can toggle ae on or off before I start combat with Z and then target the mob and click your spell it should do the move, there is no extra step necessary. I use a controller for example. I hit left and right to target the mob, and then I hit the move and it goes off. Not sure why it's requiring an extra step from you.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I tried to give this game a shot. My biggest gripe with with the combat system. Its not that actual combat is difficult. Its that the combat controls seem like they were created around having a gamepad controller and not keyboard/mouse. 

I could look past the UI(which they are redoing in the future), and the even the horrid linear map of the starting area I started in, if combat wasnt so horrid.

Now this is only my opinion, but I think in order for this game to succeed the entire combat system needs a revamp.

I was under the false impression that combat took long because of more difficult mobs because of more hp, the need for reactionary skills or CC, longer cooldowns, longer tick times, enhanced mob-AI, etc. And that just isnt the case. Combat takes long because of the Console driven control mechanics that the game was built around. The game may do well on the PS3 but I am not a consoler.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I don't own a single console outside of my sons Wii, and have never played consoles outside of the 2600 in the 70's and early 80's. But I finally bought a controller for XIV, and the entire experience changed for the better. I know that's not for everyone, I'm simply confirming your suspicions is all. I don't know how the UI is today for keyboard/mouse... but at launch it was likely worse because I think I read they have fixed some things already, with more coming for the UI.

I can only speak from experience of playing XIV with a controller, but I truly love the relaxed, laid back combat system of both XI and XIV. I should play with keyboard and mouse again for a night or so, just to see what they've changed so far.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

I here alot of ppl say they get on well with a gamepad. But the ui was designed for a gamepad with code terrible for pc and console, hence why they have written a complete new engine for all round better ui and playabilitie on pc and console.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Yeah, I may try it after engine rebuild and see how keyboard+mouse performance is then.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I believe that the extra confimation is also so that you could target another mob rather than the mob you are locked on to. It may not be that way for every spell or skill though.

All die, so die well.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Tab to or click the enemy, use hotbar for skill/ ability and hit enter.  No need for the second click on the enemy.

• PingmeisterPingmeister Member Posts: 51

Another New Player question:  The maps I've seen so far are pathways, not open zones.  Is that just the newbie areas or is the entire game pathway'd like that?

The gameworld is so stunning I would love to be able to meander from the path!

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Originally posted by Pingmeister

Another New Player question:  The maps I've seen so far are pathways, not open zones.  Is that just the newbie areas or is the entire game pathway'd like that?

The gameworld is so stunning I would love to be able to meander from the path!

I'm guessing you started in the wooded area and for the wooded area it is mostly labyrinth style. I think there might be some open areas to the north that count as wooded but they are also 20+ zones. Once you get in to the the other two areas it changes all together. Desert and plains areas do still have invisible walls that act in ways like the Forest Labyrinth but not to that extreme and not nearly as bad. The Limsa Lominsa area its is very broad and open.