Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is D3 anything like an MMO?

vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

I have never played any diablos before and i thought it was a single player rpg. i see it on this site so maybe it is an mmo. Is there group play? If so how many to a group and does it use the Healer/tank/dps model. Sorry for the noob questions but just wondering

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by vtravi

I have never played any diablos before and i thought it was a single player rpg. i see it on this site so maybe it is an mmo. Is there group play? If so how many to a group and does it use the Healer/tank/dps model. Sorry for the noob questions but just wondering

Ever played Titan quest, the original Baldurs Gate, Torchlight, Fallout 1 or 2, etc? Well if so it's similar to those.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

No not really, it's a co-rpg.  It has some multiplayer aspects to it, but it's not an MMO in the sense that is WoW is.  This site has been expanding it's game list lately, beyond MMO's.  They have co-rpgs, mmo-ish fps games, mobas (League of Legends etc) in their games list now.

Diablo 3 website:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by Distopia

Ever played Titan quest, the original Baldurs Gate, Torchlight, Fallout 1 or 2, etc? Well if so it's similar to those.

And yar, I know where your avatar is from, Sunny Day Real Estate Album, Diary I think it was.  Stil listed to it frequently :D

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

In short. No.

To extrapolate. No, it is not.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Worstluck

And yar, I know where your avatar is from, Sunny Day Real Estate Album, Diary I think it was.  Stil listed to it frequently :D

Never grows old. :D

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ValicosValicos Member Posts: 2

Its multiplayer but its not an mmo, Its similar to online fps's where you create and or join a game room. D2 supported 8 players per game. From what i have heard of D3 so far it seems they have reduced it to 4 players now.

• DisastormDisastorm Member Posts: 318

If you've ever played any of those korean style mmos that have chat rooms in which people join games (stuff like Talesrunner, Grand Chase, GetAmped, etc), thats the style that D3 is.  Your character is persistent though and you keep a bank, inventory, and your levels and skills.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Those games are hack and slash games, you just kill mobs over and over mostly overcrowded weak mobs that try to overwhelm you and few bosses here and there. You just go alone or with a small party and go into endless dungeons, that's the idea behind those games. They are called "dungeon crawlers" because the only thing you do is going into those endless dungeons and hacking mobs all day long.

And honestly D3 is like a nice circa '90 game, it doesn't have anything really great from pen & paper dungeon crawling, if you ever did that with some friends. There is no lock picking, there is no stealth mechanism, no listening the sounds and watching through the door locks, no surprise system, no mob societies, in fact they is not even light and torch system (got scrapped because of weak coding), no real strategy or diplomacy nothing about anything a bit more evaluated any good Game master in a pen& paper would have given you access to. It really, really, really is super basic hack and slash games to get some better loot and xp, the summon of the simplification. More simple and you'll probably die from heart attack.

The only next gen aspect from D3 is that you have a real money auction to buy and sell the items in game, woooooooot, heaven on earth! Game designers are so talented now!

• No, it's not an MMO. It's a coop hack n' slash RPG. One person makes a game and up to three other players can join up. The monsters in the game become increasingly powerful the more players are in a given game.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Requiamer

Those games are hack and slash games, you just kill mobs over and over mostly overcrowded weak mobs that try to overwhelm you and few bosses here and there. You just go alone or with a small party and go into endless dungeons, that's the idea behind those games. They are called "dungeon crawlers" because the only thing you do is going into those endless dungeons and hacking mobs all day long.

And honestly D3 is like a nice circa '90 game, it doesn't have anything really great from pen & paper dungeon crawling, if you ever did that with some friends. There is no lock picking, there is no stealth mechanism, no listening the sounds and watching through the door locks, no surprise system, no mob societies, in fact they is not even light and torch system (got scrapped because of weak coding), no real strategy or diplomacy nothing about anything a bit more evaluated any good Game master in a pen& paper would have given you access to. It really, really, really is super basic hack and slash games to get some better loot and xp, the summon of the simplification. More simple and you'll probably die from heart attack.

The only next gen aspect from D3 is that you have a real money auction to buy and sell the items in game, woooooooot, heaven on earth! Game designers are so talented now!

You made me realize why I dont like D3.  I couldn't really put my finger on it and now I know its due to its lack of those dynamic features you listed.  I kinda miss games like D&D: Pools of Radiance that had a little bit of stuff like that (Though I was young, so I may remember incorrectly).  Hm maybe I'll go download DDO later.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Multiplayer hack and slash game better played with controller then mouse+keyboard(blizzards words) so console port but its not realesed on console(yet), with real money auction house involved, no offline option and no mods but need permanent internet to even play.

Not worth a dime playing this crap game. Torchlight 2 prolly alot better choice with mods, offlinemode and no real money involved no need for permanent internet needed.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by forest-nl

Multiplayer hack and slash game better played with controller then mouse+keyboard(blizzards words) so console port but its not realesed on console(yet), with real money auction house involved, no offline option and no mods but need permanent internet to even play.

Not worth a dime playing this crap game. Torchlight 2 prolly alot better choice with mods, offlinemode and no real money involved no need for permanent internet needed.

Dont forget it has 1/3 the box cost and you would be supporting a developer that still has a passion for its games.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

Originally posted by Requiamer

If you're into the more stealth and diplomacy type of RPG but don't care if it's all single player, I think Skyrim (a game I'll also play) would better suit you.  This is an Action RPG,  the pace is meant to be swift,  not standing around looking/listening for traps.  And to stay there is no strategy involved in the game is foolhardy.  There is a ridiculous number that gave out for how many different character builds you could have,  I believe it was over one trillion.  That's not that including the builds for your Followers or the equipment you chose to wear.  But if you think you can just waltz into Inferno difficulty "mindlessly hacking & slashing" be my guest.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Single player RPG, with an online mode....

Nothing like an MMO.....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by Robokapp

Baldur's Gate oh my. if D3 is 10% as good as that I'll be happy.

You already know its not.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by zethcarn

If you're into the more stealth and diplomacy type of RPG but don't care if it's all single player, I think Skyrim (a game I'll also play) would better suit you.  This is an Action RPG,  the pace is meant to be swift,  not standing around looking/listening for traps.  And to stay there is no strategy involved in the game is foolhardy.  There is a ridiculous number that gave out for how many different character builds you could have,  I believe it was over one trillion.  That's not that including the builds for your Followers or the equipment you chose to wear.  But if you think you can just waltz into Inferno difficulty "mindlessly hacking & slashing" be my guest.

Ye i'll definitely try Skyrim, thats what i'll play this winter. This serie is definitly heading into what i'm looking for in my rpg. The only downside is that they are pure single player, but then again thats what they are on top content and graphic wise since they don't need to handle server and connection limitations. Still a shame we can't have at least lan or coop, it would bring so much to this serie.

I don't like much were Diablo is heading, and not only because of RMAH, but because this game didn't evolve at all, even the randomness of dungeons, and the content seam to have been shafted a lot compared to some old dungeon crawlers like "net hack" or "Fate", where dungeons really felt infinite. Where you really had the sensation to immerse into something.

So once more a regression into our gaming models, just because pleasing investors is much more important than pleasing gamers.  And whatever those companies and their fan boys are claiming most of us are seeing this as in clear water. A pitty for those games and their nice IP they are making fools of, in the end they are those that miss the target.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Single player RPG, with an online mode....

Nothing like an MMO.....

Actually it is an online single/multi player rpg, with no offline mode.

So yeah, it is like an MMO.

Of course any mmorpg could be daftly defined as a single player rpg with the option to group.

I know though that the most accepted definition these days is an online game with many people in the same persistent world.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Originally posted by mazut

Originally posted by Robokapp

Baldur's Gate oh my. if D3 is 10% as good as that I'll be happy.

You already know its not.

It's also a different type of game. Baldur's Gate is much more an adventure and much less action packed.

One game focusses on story, the other on slaying as many monsters per minute as possible. Resulting in a very different gameplay.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

No, it's just on the list here because it's hyped.  By the same logic that D3 is on the games list, Dungeon Defenders should be as well.  But hey, it's not made by Blizzard..

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

it's not an mmo, for sure. and, if killing things and taking their stuff is all one expects from rpg, then it is an rpg.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

When you stomp on a kuribo goomba in SMB3, you get his shoe.  SMB3 = RPG.

• lynshakelynshake Member Posts: 26

as many people D3 just like an mmorpg but different from d2 or other similar set