Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I love Conan comics and lore but this game...

I gotta say first impressions are big with me. And Conan strikes out for me. Why would the developers think to take a mmorpg and make the first stages actually a single player rpg ???

Im sorry but thats an awful idea and doesnt fit the term mmorpg. In any halfway decent mmorpg, most players' fondest memories are as newbs struggling to find their way TOGETHER. Sharing battle stories, seeking help, etc. Forcing us to play by ourselves till we reach a certain level ??? If I was forced to play SWG by myself, I would have quit 2 hours into the game and certainly never have played for 2 years.

I absolutely love Conan lore and own comics of his going back from the 1960's. However I cant see myself even bothering to buy this game if the developers see fit to make a single player / mmorpg hybrid. No thanks...

Comments

• nephillimnephillim Member Posts: 291

i agree.. i think it's a terrible idea.

i wonder, will you have to pay a monthly fee during the single player part?

if so, thats even more terrible.

[we need a worldwide genocide/ a planetary suicide/ and when the whole damned world is dead/ there''s your f***ing peace]

• trajan22trajan22 Member Posts: 91

i think it's just FC's way of getting players used to the new combat system and the controls before the "real" game begins.

mmorpg veterans can start any new mmo and jump right in and master all of the nuances in quick order. new players to the genre often have a hard time knowing what to do in a non-linear game. it also limits the number of glitches during launch as they wont have 100,000 players trying to log in all at once and crash the servers,

it's not al that novel a concept, EVE has a tutorial that lasts several hours if you complete all teh newbie missions.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

"i think it's just FC's way of getting players used to the new combat system and the controls before the "real" game begins.

mmorpg veterans can start any new mmo and jump right in and master all of the nuances in quick order. new players to the genre often have a hard time knowing what to do in a non-linear game. it also limits the number of glitches during launch as they wont have 100,000 players trying to log in all at once and crash the servers,

it's not al that novel a concept, EVE has a tutorial that lasts several hours if you complete all teh newbie missions."

Welll ofcourse yes its a tutorial but also NO..Its a very big storydriven module and its there to get the right feel for your characther ala singleplayer roleplaying games, This was made like this because it isnt possible to deliver a story in a better way then trough a singleplayer adventure..I think this is a great idea to get the right feel for the story and the world.

• Aarni_JoakimAarni_Joakim Member Posts: 9
    We will have to see what it turns out to be like.
  • toeblasttoeblast Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by admriker444

Im sorry but thats an awful idea and doesnt fit the term mmorpg. In any halfway decent mmorpg, most players' fondest memories are as newbs struggling to find their way TOGETHER. Sharing battle stories, seeking help, etc. Forcing us to play by ourselves till we reach a certain level ??? If I was forced to play SWG by myself, I would have quit 2 hours into the game and certainly never have played for 2 years.

Do you need startup help in other single player RPGs? I know i dont!

I the the single player part is a great idea

The player buy the game and get x amount hours of game time, just like any other single player RPG. And if the player want to join the epic battles and become a famous hero, he pays the monthly fee to join the online servers.

You are all noobs!

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

I have no problem with playing through a quality single player Conan and then emerging into the actual MMO. I think it is a great way to introduce players to the Conan universe and establish a story for the MMO.

In my case I have no experience with the Conan universe at all. I have never read a Conan book or seen a Conan movie. The most information I have collected about Conan before reading these forums has been from seeing Conan art work here and there, mostly on the covers of paperback novels.

If the story is important to this game, as I assume the devs intend it to be, what would be the best way to get someone like me up to speed who decides to pick up this cool looking MMO one day and load it on their hard drive? Drop them into a full blown MMO and start them reading text from NPCs?

That is how it is done in WoW, but I think Blizzard was assuming most of their players were going into the game familiar with the Warcraft universe. That assumption can't be made about Conan. For most players their first contact with Conan will be this game.

I can't think of a better way to get a player seeped into the world of Conan than through a single player RPG. After completing the single player game everyone in the MMO will be on the same page as far as knowing the background of Conan and the story the MMO is based on.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• trajan22trajan22 Member Posts: 91

I gotta say first impressions are big with me. And Conan strikes out for me. Why would the developers think to take a mmorpg and make the first stages actually a single player rpg ???
    Im sorry but thats an awful idea and doesnt fit the term mmorpg. In any halfway decent mmorpg, most players' fondest memories are as newbs struggling to find their way TOGETHER. Sharing battle stories, seeking help, etc.

funcom has a bit of experience making single player games. "teh longest journey" was excellent. mainly i think it allows players to become accustomed to the game world and storyline, pick classes, skills, etc.

and once we are in the mmo portion we will still all be be newbs who have to struggle to find their way together. that's only postponed for a few early levels.

i'm not bothered by it especially if it helps to eduacate teh playerbase about REH's world and the lore.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

I absolutely love Conan lore and own comics of his going back from the 1960's. However I cant see myself even bothering to buy this game if the developers see fit to make a single player / mmorpg hybrid. No thanks...

ya but thats swg.... and whats wrong with a little single player action? its just a different concept, if you want to play a cookie cutter mmo then do so. however i do think it does depend on how long the single player part of the game is..... if it was a huge part of the game (witch i highly doubt) then that would kind of suck. but its more than likely just going to be the first few levels of the game just to get used to the ui and get into the story, witch i think is a great idea image

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• CaniguaCanigua Member Posts: 233

Why are you so afraid of new idea's?

the 20 first lvl's is a story driven singel rpg,written by the people behind "the longest journey"(anybody that have played TLJ know thats a good thing btw).since you love the Conan lore shouldnt you be happy for this?It'll take you maybe 15-20 hours to play trough this

what's 15-20 h compare to the 100+ /played days you will do in the mmo partimage

• CaniguaCanigua Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by nephillim                                                                                                                      i wonder, will you have to pay a monthly fee during the single player part?
    if so, thats even more terrible.

No you don't
  • northnorth Member Posts: 3
    This is a very good idea IMO.  This allows players to get use to the combat system and how content works in game.  Many folks hate it when people log in for the first time and start shouting question after question.  
  • DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

Well I love the idea here is why. Single Player RPGs always excel in the journey, they have always been about storyline, content and progressing through an adventure. MMOs do not have the same freedom as single-player, it mostly consist of finding spawn points, beat up some mobs, wait for respawn, beat up more mobs. The problem with Single Player RPGs is that end game is exactly that, the end of the game, this is where MMOs should excel because end game lasts forever. Best of both worlds.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

• scotticusviiscotticusvii Member Posts: 3

You know, I think it is a great idea because I am sick of hearing idiots say "who can rush me." Make em' work for those levels instead of tagging along or partying up with a high level character to gleen experience from monsters they kill and quests they complete. But of course this is coming from someone who iggy's 13374rd5.

Old King Coleman

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

i mostly think the Conan single player experience a good idea. Mostly because i am left with a single doubt:

Will the story be exactly the same for everybody? Including same name of enemies and stuff? Now, i know that in other mmorpgs this also happens, but in Conan, in the first online phase, it will be pretty highly exagerated. "I just got out from the prisons of the dark lords... you have no idea what i had to do for it.. including this huge winged demons at the ends that really wanted my heart.."

"Really? sounds familiar..."

I hope the single player experience also has some little variations on the theme, or then we will have loads of clones marching in the online part.

For the rest, is a great idea. Most other mmorpgs (CoH and WoW, maybe EQ2 being the exceptions) ususally treat the first 1-20 levels as a giant kindergarden where people have to march trough to get to more advanced and interesting parts. This seems to go against that principle giving you a very interesting "newbie" period.

We'll see

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

after reading everyone's responses I must agree and change my opinion. This is an innovative idea which is refreshing to see in a mmorpg.

I also heard that combat will be more realistic here, possibly seeing a mob lose a limb during a fight image