Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warnings given on MMORPG.com

KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Anyone else get their fair share of warnings?

I wanted to start a discussion, just in general about the moderator level of warnings given to members for conduct.

Usually when I get a warning, I can see why, but I don't understand some of the classifications of trolling. I don't think it means to be trolling if your just arguing heatedly without throwing personal insults or try to bypass the filter.

I think being agressive in tone should be allowed. After all, hot debated discussions are some of the best. I wonder if everyone else in said discussions also get such warnings, or if it's mostly the people who react on the "report" button?

If so, that would be sort off bad. It would mean that it pays off to be a snitch!

Have you gotten lots of warnings, if so what - was it for? Do you feel that you have gotten unjust warnings/temp bans or do you see the justification in them laying down the law?

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Isn't this a thread that would get you a warning of some sort? i.e. discussing moderation?

Oh no. *runs away*

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Never gotten a warning. At least as far as I know. Sometimes my posts get deleted, very rarely though. But I don't receive warnings after that happens.

So all in all I guess I'm a good little goblin.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Discussing moderation is not allowed on most forums and to be honest I think people should be civil and not aggressive.
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Back in 2008, I got some warnings and a ban, all in one post.  It was seemingly random.  The action was actually overturned.

{mod edit - discussing moderation on the site in general is fine. Calling out specific people is not. Please wait for a response to your feedback email}

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Some of the rules are a bit draconian.

Calling someone out for being a troll, even if they clearly are trolling... is considered trolling. I've been issued warnings for this before, even from just implying someone was trolling when they very obviously were.

I can't figure the logic in it, I just report the actual trolls.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I have received some warnings over time. Some I agreed with, others I didn't. One warning was taken back after I didn't agree and explained what I meant in the post.

My impression is that a lot more posts on the forums deserve a warning if you look strictly at the forum rules. But because there are simple too many threads to monitor, I suspect that the mods concentrate mainly on the most active threads. Most of the time they try to prevent the thread from getting out of hand, isntead of killing it right away. It'll depend on the topic I guess and if the discussion is still fresh. In those cases I don't think they immediately start warning people. But they might issue a warning based on a report. So if some poster actually feels offended (and is right according to forum rules).

I think that it is impossible to issue a warning for every post that is not according to forum rules, but I think they should react on reports. I rarely find myself offended though. When others become personal, it is sometimes a sign for me that they can't deal with my arguments. Which makes the personal tone kind of fun.

• i too have fallen victum to this rude conduct and moderation of there site. My original acount was banned MULTIPLE times because of "trolling". It has now been banned for 2 1/2 months. I have created a new one asides from this one and guess what they banned that one cuz you cant have multiple acounts. I emailed them saying to unban my original acount since i cant have multiple acounts...this site is horrible. anyone know of a diffrent mmo site?

Didn't know the Nazies were back...