Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A game where everyone loses more than 50% of time

glofishglofish Member UncommonPosts: 346

After playing a few hundred games I have come to believe that this game has a fundamental game design problem that in fact leads to the sense of losing more than 50%

Now in theory most people's  winning ratio (and mine is like that as well) hovers around 50%. Unfortunately the number of times you actually get to see and experience this victory (this means living through the end) is  far less, perhaps 25%.

I don't know about others but for me "winning" after I get killed is not all that satisfying, in fact most of the time I don't even notice the win since the old battle concludes while I play another game.

So when I take stock of my feelings towards the game I must say I feel that I lose the majority of the time - to me a win is only when I see the success

anyhow , my 2 cents

Comments

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

If you play by yourself, in random battles, yes you will hover around 50% win/loss ration.  There is just no avoiding this with random battles you play by yourself.  To me that is solid game mechanics.

However, if you do get into a platoon or company, you can win more then half the time.  For instance, when I play by myself, yes I will win/lose 50% of the time.  When I play with my real life friend, we win 60% of the time.  That extra 10% is basically us winning the game for the whole team :D  I know how it is.  A couple days ago, I just kept getting bad teams and kept getting screwed by matcmaking.  I went 2-8 for a stretch.  It sucked; I literally lost like 5 in a row at one point.  Then, I just kept at it, ended up going 12-3 randomly.  Fun games :D

Survival rates vary greatly on how you play and what tank you are driving.  My survival rates change per tank, with some only 20% of the time, while others I manage to survie 60% of the time.  Some tanks I suicide scout on, which greatly lowers your survival rate.  Others I hang back or play with the medium tank wolfpack.

Dont worry about win/lose ratios, or your survival percentage.  If your having fun, it wont matter.  If losing and dieing bothers you, the FPS genre  (WoT is kind of a fps!) just might not be your thing.

• glofishglofish Member UncommonPosts: 346

Originally posted by Worstluck

If you play by yourself, in random battles, yes you will hover around 50% win/loss ration.  There is just no avoiding this with random battles you play by yourself. 

You are missing the main point that I was after while your practical win ratio may be 50% - your perceived win ratio of seeing the win itself will always be much smaller. That is a turnoff for me.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Basically (as he reiterated) the point is it doesn't 'feel' like a win, which can be a big issue. Considering how much this game depends on "the man with the better tank will most likely win" this pretty much makes new players feel a bit discouraged as they get blown up and they really don't get to feel a sense of accomplishment for winning, since they really didn't do anything at all except die early on.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Originally posted by glofish

Originally posted by Worstluck

If you play by yourself, in random battles, yes you will hover around 50% win/loss ration.  There is just no avoiding this with random battles you play by yourself. 

You are missing the main point that I was after while your practical win ratio may be 50% - your perceived win ratio of seeing the win itself will always be much smaller. That is a turnoff for me.

I see your point, but i would like to offer something different. If i get destroyed in game, but I saved our team from getting a loss then i feel differently.  Her's an expample of why i still play even though most game go badly.

**Example** One game I was in came down to 3vs2. We had one tank and I (artie at the time). They still had 1 arty and 2 tanks. One tank rolled up but didnt detect me in time at my own base. I killed him. Our tank had rolled up on thier base and detected both their remaining tanks. I was able to keep him "covered" and take out thier arty due to great work of our remaining tank. He subsequently destroyed thier last remaining tank.

If you run around blind and "accidently" run into a 1vs5 yeah then it feels empty even if you win as it feels like you didnt really contribute to the win , unless you get a kill somewhere (not by suicide scouts). My win loss % is 48-52. i looked at alot at my clanmates and the % are hovering around + or - 1-3 percent of mine.

***Wargaming.net wont let the Raving Rabbid put plunger weapons on his planes in World of planes!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Take the fact that you "die" as a part of the game's mechanics. Sacrificing for a win is very very common. Even if your tank gets destroyed, your crew tries to "bail out" so most of the times they live, if it makes you feel any better :) (just joking)

Sure the game needs lots of improvements (a better chat tool, hundreds of bug fixes, more battle modes) but it's simple to play, fast and fun when you know what you're doing. And yes there's a strong sense of progression and customisation - WoT does it even better than some MMO's. It's not only your learning curve (figuring out your role, learning the maps, taking the best route depending of the structure of the battle), it's also your tank and your crew's skill.

Two tanks of the same "class" can and should be played differently - when you move from T25AT to T28 (American TD line) you actually go from the fastest TD with bad camouflage and armor (which suits an aggressive / flanking playstyle) to one of the slowest TD's with huge frontal armor - people should play these two differently. There's also the tank "quality", i mean a stock tank is usually terrible while a fully researched one plays way way better. Also there's crew skill - a 100% crew brings a huge increase in performance. If you start as an arty with a 50% crew and a stock tank, you will miss way more than you will hit, for example. The beauty of the game is that each tank is a new experience, plays different from the one before (even if just a little bit). In some cases even the same tank plays differently depending on the gun of your choice.

I think the most common mistake is that people get in the game, rush fast to tier 3 and then they get a stock tank which takes dunno, 30-50 battles to elite. They feel that everyone else is faster, hits them harder, sees them from further away etc. Usually that's what happens because, from the other 15 guys, they meet at one point that guy with a two tiers higher elited tank and crew, few thousand battles under his belt, binoculars, vent, camo, consumables on their tank and that one guy rapes them. It is normal to happen, the game is not oriented around "any tank should be able to solo any other tank". That's the beauty and the hate of matchmaking, forcing people into roles: if you are on your newly bought stock Leopard and you meet an enemy KV-3 with backup, it's not your job to kill them. I see this a lot in public games, people not getting out of fights where they are clearly dominated. Try to run, take cover, lure them to your team, and if you fail (most of the time you will) think that you would have died anyway, at least you've tried something.

I'm not in any way a pro, i've got only ~2500 games, but imo the game receives much more bashing that it deserves, and mostly from the people who didnt play it enough to understand it. Sure, it has flaws, sure, it usually takes money and dedication to dominate the top tiers, but no one forces anyone to play with the big guys. Get a few tier 4-7 tanks (from all categories), elite them, buy things on them and have fun. And if you play your cards right, you can do this even without spending a dime. Tier 8+ and Clan Wars, that's another story.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by glofish

After playing a few hundred games I have come to believe that this game has a fundamental game design problem that in fact leads to the sense of losing more than 50%

Now in theory most people's  winning ratio (and mine is like that as well) hovers around 50%. Unfortunately the number of times you actually get to see and experience this victory (this means living through the end) is  far less, perhaps 25%.

I don't know about others but for me "winning" after I get killed is not all that satisfying, in fact most of the time I don't even notice the win since the old battle concludes while I play another game.

So when I take stock of my feelings towards the game I must say I feel that I lose the majority of the time - to me a win is only when I see the success

anyhow , my 2 cents

And this state of mind is why people "lose" so much.  Needing to be alive when your TEAM wins tells me that you probably play it like a deathmatch game, and wind up dead so much because you arent playing as a team.  Dont get me wrong, this is the problem with the game, and the vast majority of players play like this..   The game completely turned around and became incredibly fun for me when I joined a clan with VC and we usually played together a few nights a week..

I mean the game IS NOT for some people.  If youve read the official forums its basically non stop complaining about overpowered tanks, or underpowered ones (which honestly is a percieved fault in some cases, having more to do with the individuals skill then game coding.. SOME CASES, there have been quite a few flubs )

The game is just not for some people... x 10 lol