Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how will you play Skyrim?

Comments

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

This is a console game is it not?   lol

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I'll probably play similar to how I played Morrowind and somewhat Oblivion. I usually role about 5-6 different characters at first trying out the various guilds, races, given classes and custom classes. After a lot of trial and error and I mean A LOT, plus some death and destruction I end up picking my favorite character. Then I move on  to power up that character and finish whatever respective guild quests I'm involved with and finally I work on the story mode in between going around and raping and killing all those who decided to dwell in the dungeons that are scattered across the land.

My biggest thing is to treat it as much as an offline game as I can. I don't like to copy how anyone else is playing or take any advice on how to progress in the game. My methods sometimes might not be the most efficient but I enjoy knowing that everything from skills, gear use, and quest completion is all figured out by myself without any help.

Too much in MMOs I find myself following the advice of others, usually it's good advice but with damage calculators and the like occasionally it's hard to break from the most efficient setups and strategies without being ridiculed. I like to take a break from this when playing my offline RPGs and Elder Scrolls allows me to do this the most. Mainly because a lot of other RPGs are so linear. in comparison.

• drake201drake201 Member Posts: 75

Dark elf

Death god Class

Destruction/Conjuration/Heavy Armor/Sword/Block/mysticism.

I will ignore the main quest right off the bat and venture through the lands. Do not plan to use quick travel, wonder if they have a hardcore mode like in fallout. If so i would defiently use that.

• tazarconan7tazarconan7 Member Posts: 74

First of all difficulty . In Morrorwind i was playing with slider at 75 . In Oblivion the dmg from mobs was heavier so i was playing at 55 mostly+OOO installed which was quite challenging. I tried in some games to stick woith 60 difficulty but fighting a single enemy was Hell sometimes dpeending on the enemie ofc.

So one thing certain is i ll raise the diffiuclty higher from the default.

2ndly i ll stick with my 2nd rule which i keep last years.. No load. If the character dies he dies. new game.

For me the rush style and easy lvl diffficulty has passed away.

I realised that in Oblivion.When i tried hard mode and no load in Oblivion , i soon realised i had to use everything in the arsenal in order to survive..healing and enrfy potions that used to stay in loads in inventory now are of critical improtance. Adventuring and exploration takes a whole angle and prespective. Im thinking twice before entering random dungeons in the wilds. And if i do i do it cautionally and in the 1st sign its inhabited by rather uhm aggresive monsters and i think im not strong enough yet..well i run out!

And generally the whole game expirienmce is alot better cause i realised  i gave more value to everything good i found ,magic swords or good items cause simply apart the usual ah gosh i found agreat item! it could maybe aid me to further survive in the game. I wont either mention agony,immersion,adrenaline bursts in tough battles knowing that if i die ther eis no load lol. That alone makes the game different.

As for the characters i ll play i was always after 2. An elven ranger archer/sword hybrid with a dose of stealth and a flexible and crushing Barbarian in Light armour. Since the dual wilding implemented though now im thinking to also play an Achiles style warrior short sowrd+shiel+dual wilding more finesse and fast than strong etc

• ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226
    I won't play Skyrim right away because I don't have anything good enough to play it on.

One thing I want to step away from is reliance on save games and tips on the internet (like locations of the best items). I also don't want a character that spends too much time picking up everything or stealing everything to make lots of money. It's too easy to get rich that way and you can ruin the decor of a cool place.

There's sort of an unfair advantage to loading a save game over and over to get the best random loot in a treasure chest or guaranteeing a pickpocket success. You're really cheating yourself. Getting caught pickpocketing isn't the end of the world - you could make sure you're not holding stolen items when you pickpocket someone and you could practice on villains.

So that's the way I'm gonna play. Less scavenger, less internet tips, less reliance on reloading. I advise all ye perfectionist players to join me on cutting loose.
  • ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226
    I'm going to do the factions, main story and random exploration at the same time
  • pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by Acebets70

This is a console game is it not?   lol

Multi-platform game.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Well every other Elder Scroll game I find myself getting super distracted by side quests right away.

To the point I don't finish the game either "ever" or "within a couple years".

Skyrim I'm going to make a brute of some sort. Stick to the story as close as possible and keep an eye out for good ol' fashion grave robbing ops.

I hope to beat the game in less than 2 hours...

I'm kidding. I'll probably be playing it for the next year honestly. I'd like to get through the story within a month for my first play through and then explore other race / class combos.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I am tempted to just sort of explore.  As the game starts, I wonder how long it would take me to run into the main storyline.  If I just keep exploring, mining, crafting, and cave diving, how long will it be till I encounter the main plot?  

It would be very cool if the game took into account the possibility that a player will just wonder around, rather than jump into the main plot and put alternate main quest starting points all throughout the game.  This way, it could be that my introdction to the main story would be vastly different than yours.  

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

I am a completionist too, but this totally ruined my Oblivion experience as I obsessed about what to do and what to do next. With Skyrim I am going to follow the example of a few recent reviewers and just meander around seeing what happens to me and around me. Going to be tough, but I think this will make for an awesome game experience in the end. Was also thinking about writing a weekly blog about my own particular Skyrim adventure...

lol not an MMO   for sure

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Since MMOs dropped the RPG (and not just for shorthand I think, since all you can say about modern games is that they're an MMO, the RPG is forgotten), at least Skyrim makes up for it by being the reverse - an RPG without the MMO image

http://flashwarner.com/images/Captainobviousmccarver.jpg

My bad i thought i was on a MMO website  .... you win!!!

My bad i thought i was on a MMO website  .... you win!!!

You're in the general gaming section. Where people discuss gaming in general. You just experienced a concept fail dooder.

lol  ok....

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

Bethesda is the only hope for MMOS.....

Make one plox...

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

How will I play? I'll probably do every quest I run into, except for some silly Assassins or Thieves guilds, those hold no interest whatsoever for me in the first playthrough. I hope to play it using some strategy and tactics, not blindly rushing everywhere and once they release mods such as Realistic Fatigue & Combat, I'll end up switching between walking and jogging when travelling around.

Depending on how interesting they make the main quest; I might just leave it be on my first playthrough for a good while and explore and do the side quests in peace - however, if it does catch my interest, I'll be completely lost in the main quest and might miss many side ones. (Example: Oblivion? Hated the main quest and ended up thinking of it as a silly event, but still did it on one character, then made a new one and never took the Amulet to the monastery/priory, instead just did everything else and explored every ruin on the continent.)

I will of course play on PC and if I get enough into it, I could start modding it myself just like I did back in Morrowind days. In Oblivion I only downloaded, examined and played with those mods on.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

Slowly.

I actually never beat Oblivion's main quest. I have no idea how it ends, and probably never will.

And yet, I probably put in close to 300+ hours into the game.

That's the beauty of Bethesda's games.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

With keyboard and mouse on my superb gaming PC thats how i will play for next few months entering the world of Skyrim:)

Only back step is its DX9 but at least we have anti alising and higher resolution to boost Skyrim's graphics comepare to limited visuals of xbox/playstation.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

Like I played Oblivion, explore, see same dogs/imps every 2 yds

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by 8BitAvatar

Slowly.

I actually never beat Oblivion's main quest. I have no idea how it ends, and probably never will.

And yet, I probably put in close to 300+ hours into the game.

That's the beauty of Bethesda's games.

Quest was not bad but the final is very dissapointing. Dark Brotherhood  was way more fun to play.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• mindblwnmindblwn Member Posts: 31

Wats Dat Bethesda? No Multiplayer? Time to pirate!

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

We all end up the same in the end no matter how you start out as so probly will be a melee / healer type of character. Do some of the main quest line then go off and get distracted with sidequests and play them through forgetting about the main quests.  Sneak around and steal stuff unnoticed. I only got 24 hours in Oblivion, 38 hours in Morrowind but 126 hours in Daggerfall back in the day so probly going to do alot of sidequests to get the most longivity out the game as I can.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I will generally make a multipurpose fighter type as my first character and do the main storyline to get a feel for the game. My second character is usually a more specialized class... usually a stealth/archer type. I will slow down on my second playthrough and explore the world and all of the side quests. Then I will make about a dozen more characters trying out different approaches to the game.

I also usually won't add any Mods until my third or so playthrough. This will give me a good understanding of the fundamentals of the vanilla game before I start to tweak things. It also gives the Mod community a chance to get some really good Mods out there as the first bunch of Mods are usually rushed crap by people still getting a feel for the Modding tools.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }