Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something has to change about this star system.

DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I really don't think it's fair to get punished due to what someone else says. I've went from 4 stars to just about zero, not for what I've said, as I've not said a thing against site rules, it's from getting caught up in mass deletes when whole quote pyramids or heated discussion get removed.

The only thing I can think of I would have lost points for was a discussion that was ongoing last night about previews of TOR. People were discussing how it was being scored and the contents of those previews and for some reason all posts were removed, even though they were about the subject being discussed. No I'm not arguing against moderation. I'm only talking about this star system and how easy it is to lose all for not breaking any rules yourself. It doesn't seem exactly fair to me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I'd rather they just got rid of it completely as it serves no purpose. Mine yo-yo's up and down without having a clue why half the time.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Kabaal

I'd rather they just got rid of it completely as it serves no purpose. Mine yo-yo's up and down without having a clue why half the time.

Yep that's basically what I'm saying, went from 4 stars to zero without any warnings or anything of the sort. If you lose point's simply because you have a post deleted, there should be a little more tact used in what is deleted, otherwise change what you lose points for. Or as you said get rid of it totally switch to a user ranking system like most sites have.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I agree with this.  I too have watched my "stars" go up and down and had no idea at the time of why it was happening.  Craziness.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Huh? I was so sure it had to do with logging in on a daily basis....

btw: When I read the title, I thought you actually meant our star system, earth and all within, wondering what genious suggestion you had. Heh.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Huh? I was so sure it had to do with logging in on a daily basis....

You have more chances to win at contests if you log in every day. There's probably a combination of things that include how often you log in.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Loss of stars is to be worn like  a badge of honor. It means you aren't a mindless drone kissass. You say what you think. I don't think it should matter to you unless you're trying to win mmorpg.com forums or something.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Loss of stars is to be worn like  a badge of honor. It means you aren't a mindless drone kissass. You say what you think. I don't think it should matter to you unless you're trying to win mmorpg.com forums or something.

No it's not about trying to win, it's about knowing what the heck they mean, and why (as others have said) they go up and down as they do.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Didn't you have a full star a sec ago? :P

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Distopia

No it's not about trying to win, it's about knowing what the heck they mean, and why (as others have said) they go up and down as they do.

They go up and down based on a lot of factors.  Loggin in frequently is part of it.  Posting increases it, but I believe there's a certain length before it counts.  I think it's also based on a rolling 90 day average... can't remember where I read about this, and it's been a while, so it could have changed or I could be completely wrong!

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Originally posted by Kabaal

If Kabaal posts 20 responces like this, in 20 diffirent threads over the course of a month; while the prvious month he only made 10 posts, but each post consisted of more then one or two lines, and provided actual information, his rank would go down.  Somehow they have an automated system that can actually tell the dif. between a quality post and a nonquality post, as well as long posts that are just filler.  It's supposed to be taking into account your activity over each previous 30 day period; so if your posting gets crappier from one period to the next, your rank will keep going down.  You have to be consistant.

It's not just about getting posts deleted.

Huge quote pyramids are discouraged.  Instead of quoting all 20 responses, cut out the first 18 or so; just keep the post you're responding to.

If you rarely ever visit the site, your rank will go down.

I agree and disagree with Kabaal, it does serve a purpose.  However, having a 5 star rank doesn't really mean anything other then the person was consistant with his posting.  Even a troll can have a 5 star rank, it just means they were consistant with their trolling.  It's more usefull to see at a quick glance if the person is active on the site or not; not whether or not they make worthwhile posts.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I am guessing you play a game without much of a death penalty

RefMinor (Elite member)
  • WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

I really don't think it's fair to get punished due to what someone else says. I've went from 4 stars to just about zero, not for what I've said, as I've not said a thing against site rules, it's from getting caught up in mass deletes when whole quote pyramids or heated discussion get removed.

The only thing I can think of I would have lost points for was a discussion that was ongoing last night about previews of TOR. People were discussing how it was being scored and the contents of those previews and for some reason all posts were removed, even though they were about the subject being discussed. No I'm not arguing against moderation. I'm only talking about this star system and how easy it is to lose all for not breaking any rules yourself. It doesn't seem exactly fair to me.

Take care on who you quote and reply to. Every time a mod deletes a post you loose 5 points I think.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I don't even notice stars most the time as I thought it had to do with how often you post.

Does it matter how many stars you have?  Does it somehow make what a person has to say more meaningful?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

"Diary"

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

"Diary"

:)

Originally posted by RefMinor

I am guessing you play a game without much of a death penalty

RefMinor (Elite member)

LOL only one game has any type of death penalty in this day and age, that game is a little too slow for my taste.

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

They go up and down based on a lot of factors.  Loggin in frequently is part of it.  Posting increases it, but I believe there's a certain length before it counts.  I think it's also based on a rolling 90 day average... can't remember where I read about this, and it's been a while, so it could have changed or I could be completely wrong!

I log in just about every day, post a lot, they increase because of this yes, but you can lose them for a number of reasons, only one of which has to do with what you actually say (breaking rules).

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I keep my replies short and succinct. I rarely have more than about 3.5 stars. Sometimes I post in threads I know will get deleted. Sometimes I post something I know will get deleted. A few times I've gotten a warning for those.

I like it that way. It lets me know some things about other people.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by grunty

I keep my replies short and succinct. I rarely have more than about 3.5 stars. Sometimes I post in threads I know will get deleted. Sometimes I post something I know will get deleted. A few times I've gotten a warning for those.

I like it that way. It lets me know some things about other people.

Sounds like to me that it doesn't let you know as much as you'd think.  I generally post short posts as well, and I also sometimes post in threads I know will get deleted.  I have been repeatedly warned and even banned for my smart ass ways and yet....I have 4 stars, sometimes almost 5.  What do you suppose my number of stars would have told you had I not already told you all that?  I don't think it accurately reflects a damn thing.  It's a useless system, imo. OR...maybe you discovered the system for having 3-4 stars.  heh

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I remember having around 3 stars at one point, then I took a couple weeks off from this site. When I posted again, I was at 5 stars. LOL The site hates me!

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I for one would shed not one tear if the entire star system was removed. I can see no positive or beneficial way it effects the forum community.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

I noticed when I don't post that much in a month, I start to lose stars.  So now I post a comment  all the time and my stars never seem to go down.

I've never liked the star system, lol to me it's always felt broken.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Ha, I lose stars all the time, usually it coincides with all my temp bans...go figure.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

I was thinking you were typing about Space when you said Star System in the title.  Then I came in and realized you were talking about the Star system on this website.  Then I remembered this site has a star system.  I still don't know what it is really.  There's apparently stars and people seem to say it's quite random.

Frankly I don't even care.

Originally posted by Tardcore

I for one would shed not one tear of the entire star system was removed. I can see no positive or beneficial way it effects the forum community.

100% in agreement.