Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS2 free to play

naktosnaktos Member UncommonPosts: 23

I really dont like FTP games and I hope PS2 also will have montly payments. When I see this i really avoid them because they cost more and they really not free.I like to see the players rebel againt them and not support such games.

Why do they go this way? Cause they can whip more money out of you! The more you support them them more you going to pay!

It addicting like smoking to some and they will spend thier rent money on it.

Most make you so disable as you move up in lvl that you need to buy stuff that you will pay more that the 15 that you normally pay. Most people wont tell you that they are paying  large amout of cash to play.I wont tell you i have .It like going shopping in a free to buy market and when you leave you find out you spent 2 time as much when you left.We some how loose our marbles online.

Comments

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Agreed. I very well may steer clear of PS2; which is a shame since I was quite stoked about it. F2P means every idiot on the planet will be trying to hack the game; meanwhile players like us will be tempted to spend a lot more money than a $15 sub. Indeed, perhaps required to spend that money since it "raises the bar" in a game which, by its very nature, is competitive.

Cash shop for a purely PVP game is *quite* different than cash shops for PVE. The cash shop in EQ (when I revisited it in 2009) was not bad; but it's a PVE game.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

I believe you guys are blowing this way out of proportion. It's not going to be your standard F2P. They are going to be making money from expansions (ala Guild Wars) and it seems like it will have an Auction House that uses real money for it's currency. The big difference between PS2's AH and standard F2P microtransactions is that the AH will be player managed. The same is happening in Blizzard's Diablo 3 which has been extensively discussed so if you are confused about anything concerning the AH then I'd go see how D3's is going to be.

Subscriptions are a huge part in how PS lost it's luster the first time around... The less people you have playing the game, the more unfun is becomes. By having it F2P people can play at their leisure and not be held down by some sort of subscription to be able to do so.

• nathanebhtnathanebht Member Posts: 34

Don't know where you are getting your info but SOE has not described how they are going to do their F2P. They have ruled out anything like pay 2 win.

The auction house topic from that one foreign language interview was a miscomunication. PS2 doesn't have a player inventory so an AH doesn't make much sense.

My guess is that you will pay to do something around certs. Pay to speed up training certs probably.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

im not relling on this information untill i see SOE confirming it, end.

• nathanebhtnathanebht Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Varthander

im not relling on this information untill i see SOE confirming it, end.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/ has all of the SOE interviews. A little reading would confirm what I'm saying.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by tkoreaper

I believe you guys are blowing this way out of proportion. It's not going to be your standard F2P. They are going to be making money from expansions (ala Guild Wars) and it seems like it will have an Auction House that uses real money for it's currency. The big difference between PS2's AH and standard F2P microtransactions is that the AH will be player managed. The same is happening in Blizzard's Diablo 3 which has been extensively discussed so if you are confused about anything concerning the AH then I'd go see how D3's is going to be.

Subscriptions are a huge part in how PS lost it's luster the first time around... The less people you have playing the game, the more unfun is becomes. By having it F2P people can play at their leisure and not be held down by some sort of subscription to be able to do so.

Subscriptions are a huge part of the luster, yeah, so when players leave in droves like what happened to SWG creating a chain reaction of unsubscribers there is "less luster".

• CopenhagenCopenhagen Member UncommonPosts: 57

Games go F2P because they can muster more cash for a smaller player base.   Since they are probably expecting the player base to be lower then other games they (So I hear) are going F2P.

I personally play F2P games.  But, just to kill time and I don't really take them to seriously, or spend a lot of time playing them.  I'm not spending $100.00 a month in a game (Or, I can only imagine what some people might spend.)

In closing this really makes me sad about Planetside 2.   Because most gamers will frown at it and turn their nose up at it simply because of this.    In a purely competively game, with any type of cash shop for anything period, players will "Pay to Win".

This will run otherwise would be players off.   Making is FAIL right from the start.  Because the machine that drives Planetside and makes it so great, is the machine of "WAR"  

You can't have a "War" with a smaller player base, at least not the types of war that made Planetside great in it's "Hay-Day".

• Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

I seem to remember reading that the Planetside 2 devs had eyeballed League of Legends and how they handled their freeplay game, as well as how they handled purchasing things from their shop. And that it was something they found appealing.

Speaking as a fan of League of Legends, if it's close to that, you have nothing to worry about. If you enjoy playing the game, you earn everything that's usable / accessable from time spent. If you want to burn cash to shortcut to certain characters or full rune pages to augment a character, you can do that too. Absolutely nothing of practical worth in playing that game is out of reach of someone playing free.

I hope they go this route, as was hinted.

This discussion has been closed.