Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give it a try?

ArbedeArbede Member UncommonPosts: 19

Hey guys,

Im downloading it at the moment and if I like it I will subscribe ofc.

I wonder how is the end game, what does ppl doing ? how is pvp?

Gameplay take you into?

Hows the community?

And which server to choose for EU population?

Is it deserve to give it a try?

Thanks

Comments

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

I've only had a char to 4X a while back when I trialed ait and played a little bit recently on a different character.

It's a good game nowadays.

PvP combat is a lot harder in this than most other tab-like targeting games as a melee player. Ranged players have it easy as usual ;). Also if you join a PvP server, a level 20-30 character can actually win against a 50+ character if they have the skills in a 1 on 1 fight. PvP balance wit this regard is very well done.  I'd suggest joining a PvE server first to build up skill in PvP battlegrounds if that's what you want.

I didn't play too much. Basically soloed straight to 47+ in my month of playing it before I had to go back to school. So further info  I cannot give like about the community.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

if you are new to AoC, I say go Crom for a more relaxing playstyle and learning. If you like PvP, try Fury. Hardcore server might be good also, but never played on it, and last time I heared it had few players, unlike when it launced.

It deserves a good try. Most of the newer stuff post launch is lvl 50+ so hang on for a while. Tortage is a nice intro, but its old. Better stuff later imo.

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

It's a great game, especially the melee combat it's still "next gen" compared to all other MMO's I've tried even games released this year. It's really great to see a adult game where heads and arms are chopped off and blood flowing.

AOC is more complicated than other games, some love that but not everyone,  but 1-80 isnt really rocket science though. 

Combat is quite fast while you level up, but at 80 it starts to slow down, it's because the mobs are higher level while the players stay at 80. The Alternatve Advancment dosent manage to close the gap fully.

At 80+ you have to figure out how to maximise your class, because everyone will expect you to play well even in PVE.  In T1/T2 PUGs there is some room for slacking, but in dungeon Hardmodes you need to play your class well. 

The game has various problems still,there havent been a crafting update for about 3 years or so which is just horrible really. The economy in the game is crap, I rarely have anything for sale in AOC. The casual/Pug raids are the same as back in 2008 (t1/t2). All the group dungoens they've made in 2011 dosent work atm. (Might work next patch).

Some improvments in 2011 though, you can solo pretty decent PVE gear, which is very close to the best in the game T2-T3 ish. Some of the Khitai dungeons have been nerfed to make them easier for the average player.

There is no dungeon finder yet in AOC so you have to get groups the old fashion way by talking to someone.

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232

If you dont spend any money and play for free you will only have access to tank classes.  Just a heads up there.  All in all the game is fun but is nothing new.  Besides the blood and gore nothing in this game feels "next gen" or even innovative to me.  I'm sure the fans will disagree but even though I played for about 3 months, I never felt compelled to log in or captivated by the storyline or events unfolding.  Just bored enough to play for free for a while.  You may like it though, don't take my word for it.  

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• EudaimonEudaimon Member UncommonPosts: 116

Originally posted by Deadlyne

If you dont spend any money and play for free you will only have access to tank classes.  

Really?

I was under the impression that FTP players could one play one class from each archetype, as follows -

Soldier archetype - Guardian (yep, this one tends to be tanky)

Priest archetype - Priest of Mitra  - Healer

Rogue archetype - Barbarian  - Melee dps

Mage archetype - Demonologist - Ranged magic damage, focussing on AoE

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

Originally posted by Eudaimon

If you dont spend any money and play for free you will only have access to tank classes.  

Really?

I was under the impression that FTP players could one play one class from each archetype, as follows -

Soldier archetype - Guardian (yep, this one tends to be tanky)

Priest archetype - Priest of Mitra  - Healer

Rogue archetype - Barbarian  - Melee dps

Mage archetype - Demonologist - Ranged magic damage, focussing on AoE

That is correct, one class from all four Archtypes. Not sure about Deadlyne`s statement, perhaps a misunderstanding.

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232

Hmm thats odd I dont know what happened to me then.  I had the option of only playing  Guardian and barbarian.  Every other class was greyed out.  That was the biggest problem with the game for me.  I actually prefer to play a caster.  Maybe I had a bad install or something.  I never had any trouble running the game though.  

That actually makes me want to try it again, so I can play a class I enjoy a bit more.  I probably won't at this point though.  

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Hmm thats odd I dont know what happened to me then.  I had the option of only playing  Guardian and barbarian.  Every other class was greyed out.  That was the biggest problem with the game for me.  I actually prefer to play a caster.  Maybe I had a bad install or something.  I never had any trouble running the game though.  

That actually makes me want to try it again, so I can play a class I enjoy a bit more.  I probably won't at this point though.  

Might be a stupid comment from me but did you try and change race? Certain classes is only available for certain races

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Mavacar

Might be a stupid comment from me but did you try and change race? Certain classes is only available for certain races

By default, you get Cimmerian at the creation screen most of the time. Changing your race at that screen allows different classes for the f2p group. I would not rank a demo or priest (ala PoM) as a tankie type. 

Of course, if you have ever paid for a sub for even one month, you can continue playing any two characters you like. A friend of mine is playing his ranger and bear shaman as f2p.