Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Testing makes me miss Pre NGE SWG

124»

Comments

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Nothing will ever replace SWG. Was one of the best mmo's ever. Would have done much better if some gave the nge some time. TO many quit and caused a dominos effect. After 7 years i had to go, no one i knew played anymore. But the game wasnt dead, many still played. But the player based econ just went down hill once loot items became better than crafted items. Crafting was my main role in SWG, i helped create multiple cities and home with my arc. I miss those days. Cant seem to find a mmo that even comes close now :/

• JeyhuJeyhu Member UncommonPosts: 90

Originally posted by Abdar

Just as the title states, did some testing for TOR last night and this morning and if anything, it's made me miss what was pre NGE SWG.

Obviously I can't say what I didn't like in TOR, and we all know pre NGE was great. I just find it sad that after all this time, we're still not going to get what was amazing about the game at the time (specially in a Star Wars universe), and looks like we won't for a long while :(

I LOL at the part when you said we all know pre NGE was great.  No it wasn't and neither was the NGE for that matter.  SWG released as a buggy unstable mess of a game.  The only thing it had going for it was that it had a player driven economy but the game never felt as epic as it should.  Steps taken to fix this ultimately ended up destroying the game.

Seriously SWG is still there and the SWG emu is around although still crap IMO.  As someone who had tested in the past, this game IS the Star Wars MMO.  Too bad you'd rather just be a moisture farmer on Tatoonie.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I recall Beta testing SWG.  The beta itself turned me off of the game. I ended up picking it up years later but still don't think it's quite the game many have made it out to be.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by uohaloran

The OP simply said it made him miss SWG and a lot of you jumped to conclusions and perhaps read a bit too much between the lines.  What is it with you guys defending TOR at any sign of a comment that isn't 100% positive?  Geesh.

Maybe it has to do with the fact this isn' the TOR forums? If you have a beef with TOR, then do it in the TOR forums. These forums are SUPPOSED to be for SWG AS IT IS RIGHT NOW.  There is a whole seperate forum made for you people who miss the old boring and broken game that was SWG pre-nge.

This has nothing to do with being 100 percent positive about TOR. I have issues of my own with the game. But lately is seems like fans of SWG have nothing better to do than to whine about TOR, a game that has absolutely NOTHING to do with SWG.

But he talks mostly about how he misses SWG and cannot even say why he dislikes TOR, so he's hardly whining.

Touchy feely up in here.

• neve1272neve1272 Member UncommonPosts: 44

i beta tested labor day weekend

its everything i thought it would from what bioware has told us or we could find from gamebreaker.tv /darth hater ect.

they are not trying to make a swg remake /update/ prequel what have u

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by sookster54

Um, it started out at ~250K subs and by early 2004 it reached 350K subs, then after publish 9 aka Jedi nerf it started to drop.

IIRC it peaked at 300k, and started to drop off rapidly when EQ2 and WoW were released Nov 2004, just like EQ started to lose subs around that same time. At the EQ2 server I was on, we had whole guilds from SWG coming, the guild I was in consisted of a lot of ex-SWG players.

Originally posted by firefly2003

Originally posted by Supersoups

Been hearing this same song and dance since 2007 and now we are entering 2012 and the only titles that we hear about is Archage which is not even a pure sandbox and is an Asian title. Words are good but reality says something else. Majority doesn't care for sandboxes, themepark is where the real money is. 

No a good game is where its at not the money or the numbers as many fools delude their selves in, make a good game people will play it .

And to the majority of people WoW, a themepark MMO, was a better game than SWG, a sandbox game. Like you say, make a good game and people will play it.

Of course, gaming taste and preferences is a subjective thing, where one person can have the time of his life in one game another might be bored out of his skull in that same game. The first person will say about that game that it was a great game and immense fun while the other one to whom the game wasn't fit for his taste or gaming preferences will say that the game sucked.

Its not the themepark game thats better, its the loot factor.  People judge their gaming by their new loot.  This is how most these games are played, look at hell FPS games with ranks unlocking weapons and stuff, same type of mentality.  I play and do this over and over I get more loot.  Also social factors are near the bottom of the "desire" feature for many players as it takes time away from getting loot.

In a game like SWG, Shadowbane, etc your stuff might break and your new item might not be as good.  The good doctor buffs ran out and your health dropped 200 points, stuff like that.  People view that as a negative, not to mention there is not set areas to do stuff in.  People don't like to have to do more than combat unfortunately.  Very few players craft and very few care to do anything more than bash heads the entire time and if they have to do something else, they complain or leave to another game that offers basically that.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by snapfusion

Originally posted by Kabaal

Well I try not to draw conclusions about games until I've actually played them. Unlike you.

Now you're making assumptions.

Bioware have never described their game as anything like SWG, they have in fact done the complete opposite. Other than being set in the same universe that is where the comparisons do and should end.

??   "and should end"   ??

When I read the OP it seems to me his point was clear, he did not want TOR to be SWG he wanted TOR to be as orginal and creative and as deep as SWG, something different then the temepark style MMO's of today.

Perhaps you can explain why we need less originality and innovation and more themepark MMO's with a splash of dialogue?  We have all read enough about this game to know Bioware did their best to take their single player model and combine it into a themepartk MMO.  Neither of those experiences are new or grounbreaking. Its just like taking ice cream which is good and a banana which is good and making banana icecream which is not much different than strawberry icecream.  Bioware hasnt presented one concept yet that hasnt already been done somewhere else.  Im not knocking the game, it will sell well be fun to play but its nothing new, its an existing single player RPG experience that you can play with your friends,  And when the story and dialogue are over your gonna be grinding faction doing dailies and running  the same dungeons over and over for gear just like todays games

Im just amazed at the last part of your comment that seems to miss the orginal posters point,  Its that SWG brought something new to the table TOR does not and if it does they are holding out on us.   So by stating the only thing that should be the same is the universe and nothing else your telling the  OP that TOR doesnt have to be orginal or innovative which were all attibutes associated with the original SWG.

If thats not what you were implying than what did you mean by "and should end"?

MMO's are a business and the one MMO that has succeeded BIG TIME is Wow. SWTOR will be based on this design along with adding Biowares own bits - just as Wow took what made Everquest great and added their own parts to it.

SWG will always be one of the most innovative and best MMO's EVER but the target audience that gaming companies are shooting for are more like the general population from the movie Idiocracy:

Frito: I'll base your ass on my fist... face... ass. Shutup!

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by echolynfan

Well I try not to draw conclusions about games until I've actually played them. Unlike you.

Bioware have never described their game as anything like SWG, they have in fact done the complete opposite. Other than being set in the same universe that is where the comparisons do and should end.

When I read the OP it seems to me his point was clear, he did not want TOR to be SWG he wanted TOR to be as orginal and creative and as deep as SWG, something different then the temepark style MMO's of today.

Perhaps you can explain why we need less originality and innovation and more themepark MMO's with a splash of dialogue?  We have all read enough about this game to know Bioware did their best to take their single player model and combine it into a themepartk MMO.  Neither of those experiences are new or grounbreaking. Its just like taking ice cream which is good and a banana which is good and making banana icecream which is not much different than strawberry icecream.  Bioware hasnt presented one concept yet that hasnt already been done somewhere else.  Im not knocking the game, it will sell well be fun to play but its nothing new, its an existing single player RPG experience that you can play with your friends,  And when the story and dialogue are over your gonna be grinding faction doing dailies and running  the same dungeons over and over for gear just like todays games

Im just amazed at the last part of your comment that seems to miss the orginal posters point,  Its that SWG brought something new to the table TOR does not and if it does they are holding out on us.   So by stating the only thing that should be the same is the universe and nothing else your telling the  OP that TOR doesnt have to be orginal or innovative which were all attibutes associated with the original SWG.

MMO's are a business and the one MMO that has succeeded BIG TIME is Wow. SWTOR will be based on this design along with adding Biowares own bits - just as Wow took what made Everquest great and added their own parts to it.

SWG will always be one of the most innovative and best MMO's EVER but the target audience that gaming companies are shooting for are more like the general population from the movie Idiocracy:

SWG wasn't challenging. It was just tedious and boring. That was why most people left the game along with the fact it was broken and didn't stay true to the IP it was based on. It had some nice features, but it was hardly the best MMO ever. People aren't going to pay a monthly sub for a game that isn't fun. In the end that's all these things are. Games. Not life simulators.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

SWG wasn't challenging. It was just tedious and boring. That was why most people left the game along with the fact it was broken and didn't stay true to the IP it was based on. It had some nice features, but it was hardly the best MMO ever. People aren't going to pay a monthly sub for a game that isn't fun. In the end that's all these things are. Games. Not life simulators.

tedious and boring = Complex and Involved. The crafting system was a fantastic game in itself. I'm not saying the game was perfect but it kept me interested longer than any other MMO out there - even after the NGE hit.

And you're wrong - I had 6 accounts at one time and my own city. SWG could have done extremely well if SOE and Lucas hadn't opted for "dumbing" down the game for people like you.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

tedious and boring = Complex and Involved.

Complex and involved is NOT tedious and boring. I play complex games and SWG was not that complex. It was just time consuming. BIG difference.

The crafting system was a fantastic game in itself. I'm not saying the game was perfect but it kept me interested longer than any other MMO out there - even after the NGE hit.

And that's great for crafters, but for the rest of us who wanted to do more in the Star Wars universe than mine and craft it sucked. 

And you're wrong - I had 6 accounts at one time and my own city.

Wrong about what? That I didn't like the game? Good for you and your six accounts. All that proves is you liked the game much more than I did. I fail to see how that proves anything.

SWG could have done extremely well if SOE and Lucas hadn't opted for "dumbing" down the game for people like you.

Typical. You people just can't take any criticism of this game can you? Never mind the fact that the game is closing down due to low sub numbers, you still can't admit that it was a failure. The game hasn't even been in a store that I have seen for at least the last three years. Obviously, I'm not the only one that had a problem with this game. 

No one was asking for SWG to be turned into World of Warcraft. I was there  during all of the big changes and remember it quite well. All most of us were asking for was a stable game and professions that worked. I'm glad that you crafters had something that worked. The rest of us had to deal with broken professions, skills that didn't work , and lack of content.  Most people aren't going to pay a monthly sub to a game that broken. Sorry that reality gives you so much butt pain, but there it is. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

SWG Pre-NGE was a sandbox MMO.

SWTOR is a themepark MMO.

Those who yearn for a sandbox type of MMO and dislike themepark MMO's won't enjoy SWTOR.

So the people saying that this was common knowledge already unless people were living under a rock, and that theres little resemblance between SWG's design model and SWTOR's design model, only that the setting is Star Wars, were right.

This si teh most important thing to say here.... from what i have seen (wink wink) if you arent a fan of themeparks or you really only want to relive your fun from SWG. you will be extremely dissapointed.... you absolutely have to go into this game with a fresh mind or you are ruined from the start.......

One thing i would liek to say is that as much as i absolutely loved SWG, SWG was never really a star wars game!! It was an awesome sanbox game set in an IP that generated great comunities that wanted to live in that IP. but it really didnt have the core essence of Star Wars....

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Why are you violating your NDA and not reporting bugs?

Get to work!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

I'm tired of all these people wishing for things that simply aren't.  Sandboxes (in their current evolution) are NOT appealing to the public at large.  They are a small part on the pie graph that is MMOs.  A LARGE (doubly, triply, quadruply so) part of the MMO experience/players out there are Themepark players.  

I'm tired of people projecting their personal preference as fact and basing their assumptions on the .02% of gamers that write in MMO forums.

Themeparks are a backslide. MMOers have been through MOGs, 2D MMORPGS, Themeparks and on into sandboxes. The mass market has only made it to Themepark so far. The largest part of the PC gaming community is made up of consolers who have recently graduated to PCs. The glut of these people haven't experienced sandboxes yet and only know MMOs as the trash that's been released and/or converted in the past couple of years. The level of sophistication of the mass market hasn't caught up to the difficulty level inherant in sandboxes.

You'll get here - as soon as you get tired of shallow crap and want to build something cool we'll welcome you with open arms.

Very well said and couldn't agree more...

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

you know when i read the OP i didn't see the "OMG SWTOR is going to suck if its not like SWG, screw this game" that apparently the SWTOR fanboys saw in the OP.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

I'm tired of all these people wishing for things that simply aren't.  Sandboxes (in their current evolution) are NOT appealing to the public at large.  They are a small part on the pie graph that is MMOs.  A LARGE (doubly, triply, quadruply so) part of the MMO experience/players out there are Themepark players.  

I'm tired of people projecting their personal preference as fact and basing their assumptions on the .02% of gamers that write in MMO forums.

Themeparks are a backslide. MMOers have been through MOGs, 2D MMORPGS, Themeparks and on into sandboxes. The mass market has only made it to Themepark so far. The largest part of the PC gaming community is made up of consolers who have recently graduated to PCs. The glut of these people haven't experienced sandboxes yet and only know MMOs as the trash that's been released and/or converted in the past couple of years. The level of sophistication of the mass market hasn't caught up to the difficulty level inherant in sandboxes.

You'll get here - as soon as you get tired of shallow crap and want to build something cool we'll welcome you with open arms.

Complete nonsense, all the arguments posted here, plus kind of hypocritical to accuse others of doing the same, namely ' projecting their personal preference as a fact', so that'd lead me to the conclusion that poster Cyberdeck7 is actually getting tired of himself image

But hey, to each their own, tastes and requirements for gaming fun differ from one person to the next, I guess. Some people are willing to accept and acknowledge this simple fact of life, others aren't.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Complete nonsense, all the arguments posted here, plus kind of hypocritical to accuse others of doing the same, namely ' projecting their personal preference as a fact', so that'd lead me to the conclusion that poster Cyberdeck7 is actually getting tired of himself image

But hey, to each their own, tastes and requirements for gaming fun differ from one person to the next, I guess. Some people are willing to accept and acknowledge this simple fact of life, others aren't.

Definately with Maverick on this one!  I can only speak for myself - but I'm sophisticated enough to realize that sandboxes aren't for me (oddly - in my guild, 1200 people have signed up for TOR - more than 10X the total number of people playing the current sandboxes - seems like you'll be waiting a long time for us :D)

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

I'll always have fond memories of SWG, it was my very first MMO and I played it threw the stupid Combat Upgrade and even gave the NGE a few months before I left in disgust with what they did to it.... But to be honest if the NGE had never come I probably would of quit sooner or later, there was huge balance issues with pvp tons of bugs that never got fixed, unbalancing buffs from Doc's and the game was being taken over by bots and macros... 

The original plan for SWG was to make a big sandbox and then add in story content, they started to do that but after I believe the 3rd episode it was cancelled and they quit adding story to the game....  The PvP battle zones that were there the first month were removed because of how buggy they were and never brought back...    Space Combat was just about who had a ship that could turn the fastest would win...  People forget how many flaws SWG did have due to SOE forcing an early release and then getting rid of all the original programmers for cheaper people who had no clue what they were doing...

BUT for the hardcore RP'ers it was a great sandbox for them.... but for the rest it was average at best

BTW, SWTOR is a fun MMO, maybe not to fans of sandbox mmo's but for the rest of us it's a pretty cool game...

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Just as the title states, did some testing for TOR last night and this morning and if anything, it's made me miss what was pre NGE SWG.

Obviously I can't say what I didn't like in TOR, and we all know pre NGE was great. I just find it sad that after all this time, we're still not going to get what was amazing about the game at the time (specially in a Star Wars universe), and looks like we won't for a long while :(

Bioware said ages ago that SWTOR is Not going to be SWG2

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Obviously I can't say what I didn't like in TOR, and we all know pre NGE was great.

Your expectations were too high. You tipped it off when you said you miss Pre-NGE SWG, which anyone knows was a challenging game to play for veterans.

SWTOR isn't made for you (older dogeared player missing old games), it's made for the player that wants story/lore to follow along, not a sandbox.

This game is going to be perfect for gamers who like story/lore first before most mmo features and new players who usually don't like MMOs.. kind of like how Blizzard raised a whole set of mmo players based on WoW's gameplay.

Personally, I didn't play Pre NGE or even Post NGE SWG. So when I play TOR, if it's as good as KOTOR and all the console Star Wars games I've played are, I know I'll like it because I'm not expecting SWG.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Originally posted by monoth

I'll always have fond memories of SWG, it was my very first MMO and I played it threw the stupid Combat Upgrade and even gave the NGE a few months before I left in disgust with what they did to it.... But to be honest if the NGE had never come I probably would of quit sooner or later, there was huge balance issues with pvp tons of bugs that never got fixed, unbalancing buffs from Doc's and the game was being taken over by bots and macros... 

The original plan for SWG was to make a big sandbox and then add in story content, they started to do that but after I believe the 3rd episode it was cancelled and they quit adding story to the game....  The PvP battle zones that were there the first month were removed because of how buggy they were and never brought back...    Space Combat was just about who had a ship that could turn the fastest would win...  People forget how many flaws SWG did have due to SOE forcing an early release and then getting rid of all the original programmers for cheaper people who had no clue what they were doing...

BUT for the hardcore RP'ers it was a great sandbox for them.... but for the rest it was average at best

BTW, SWTOR is a fun MMO, maybe not to fans of sandbox mmo's but for the rest of us it's a pretty cool game...

Always amazed at the 'Bestest Evver' laments on SWG.  It had a very different approach, that some really loved.  But it was kicked out the door early, buggy, and quite broken.   Lots of rosey colored nostalgia-glasses.   And of course, if it was your first MMO, there's that initial experiance that is rarely equalled by later games, no matter the quality level.

Now what SWTOR is trying to bring to the table is definitely the focus on storyline and voice acting, not huge open sandbox.   Whether that will be viewed well in the future, I have no idea.   But they are sure betting large on it.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• EvilChemistEvilChemist Member Posts: 105

Mav, u've been in hiding? Eer...anyhow

If a AAA sandbox was made I would try it and I must admit that while playing swtor I did miss some things from SWG pre NGE but did I miss the game as a whole, not so much. I think thats about as much as I'm allowed to say about swtor.

I think that themeparks are missing as much as sandboxes and the only real difference is that the themeparks are more accessible.

I might agree about the intelligence level of console gamers being lower. That of course is an extremely general assumption as I personally know a few console gamers who are quite smart.

Statistically if you observe passing grade levels and the educational system of North America in general you will notice (Not neccessarily their fault cuz poverty sucks) people are in fact dumber. I think Dr. Kaku was right, without the H1B we'd be pretty screwed and still are in the long term.

Also PC gamers aka heavy computer users are constantly accessing more info then console gamers and should be by default "smarter" of course this is all in general.

"LOL"