Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Empires Online First Impressions/Review! Does It Live Up To The Name?

In this first impressions/review I take a look at Age of Empires Online. A F2P MMORTS/RPG developed by Microsoft Studios and Gas Powered Games... and Published by Games For Windows Live. Does this game live up to the hype? Check out the video to find out!

Age Of Empires Online First Impressions/Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J0N1aLVhcs

Question of the Video: Do you think Age Of Empires Online is the truest to the MMORTS genre? Or is there another game out there that has more RTS elements as solidly placed in the game as Age Of Empires Online? 

*****Share Your Thoughts On The Video, Or Down In The Forum Comments Below! I Love Reading/Replying To Em!******

Thanks For Watching!

Zach Sharpes

Comments

• RabidPengRabidPeng Member Posts: 4

Great video man!

Ill definitly have to check this game out!

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

i played it in CB... while they claim its CoOP they fail to mention you have to farmvill add people to it, aka you got to annoy your friends with an invite to it. ontop of that, alot of the missions are the same. 

the timelimit farm building mission was annoying on the final mission as there is not really enough time to build the farm or age up i find. 

it doesnt really live up to AoE but maybe AoE3 it does.. hard to say, while i enjoyed the CB run of the game... i got kinda bored of it. 

it comes across as a P2W game with how they designed the crafting elements and army upgrades. i never got in to PVP as i was never high enough level to it seems. but im sure that would have been lopsided given my lack of RMT investing. 

all in all, as a game its ok i personally dont find it to be something to write home about, when there are games like stronghold kingdoms out there and the settlers online (casle empires online).

some people may like AoEo others may not. 

• GeowashGeowash Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by Ichmen

i played it in CB... while they claim its CoOP they fail to mention you have to farmvill add people to it, aka you got to annoy your friends with an invite to it. ontop of that, alot of the missions are the same. 

the timelimit farm building mission was annoying on the final mission as there is not really enough time to build the farm or age up i find. 

it doesnt really live up to AoE but maybe AoE3 it does.. hard to say, while i enjoyed the CB run of the game... i got kinda bored of it. 

it comes across as a P2W game with how they designed the crafting elements and army upgrades. i never got in to PVP as i was never high enough level to it seems. but im sure that would have been lopsided given my lack of RMT investing. 

all in all, as a game its ok i personally dont find it to be something to write home about, when there are games like stronghold kingdoms out there and the settlers online (casle empires online).

some people may like AoEo others may not. 

As for the Buy 2 Win thing you mentioned, thats why I think the Season Pass is the best value because u get everything thats released for 6 months. And I agree, some may not like it, while others like my self are having fun in it. 

As for your recommendations, I checked out Settlers Online and Ill prolly check it out, as for Stronghold Kingdoms though, I tried it out and its very similar to facebook games. 

-Zach Sharpes

• harry_watharry_wat Member Posts: 33

Persistent world. Classic franchise, now free to play. Cooperative quests and trading feature. Historic setting. Kudos to Robot Entertainment. I used to play this game since gradeschool before Red Alert has been introduced to me. And now it's back, I'm so excited to play this again, ONLINE! and one of the unique feature of this game that I remember is the different schemes of castles and walls on each races. image

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

I was really suprised buy their cash shop!

They're really milking it.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • jejoiunjejoiun Member Posts: 2

Is a serious departure from past Age of Empire games: it's cartoony, and features many MMORPG aspects to round out the game's strategic gameplay. The game is still complex and meaty, especially for a free-to-play title. Many games of this type reach into your pocket as soon as they can. In contrast, AoE Online could be giving away too much to properly sustain itself. There's much to enjoy before spending a single Microsoft point.

You build a city with workshops, stores, storage buildings, and even shrubberies if that's your thing. The art style looks like it was lifted from Disney's Hercules and The Emperor's New Groove. From this city and neighboring ones, you can accept campaign-style quests from citizens to accomplish certain objectives on a given map eradicate all the buildings of an enemy who has already built a maddening, massive network of defensive towers that relentlessly shoot arrows, for instance, or meeker ones, such as "build four farms in under eight minutes.