Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RAM

Hey Iamnot sure of the mother board i currentlyhave and I am out of town and I can'tlook wright now, but I need to know what are good cheap 1G DDR ram (2x512mb or 1x 1G)m becasue I need more ram to get less lag on the gamesI currently play.

Games I play:

WoW
EQ2
BF2

Additional CPU info

eVGA Gefore 6600 256mb DDR AGP 4x/8x Vid card
2.6 ghz Intelpentium 4 Processor
80g HD

Any info would help. Please give me feed back, thank you

---------------------------------------------
WoW
-Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
-Rhalon 81 UD Mage
-Doneski 85 Orc death knight

"Everyones life has a beginning and an end, No one can change that."-Hiko
"If you wish to taste the ground, then feel free to attack."-Kenshin Himura

Comments

• pyros98pyros98 Member Posts: 267

http://www.newegg.com

2x512 MB sticks are around $80 I think...

• SupernerdSupernerd Member Posts: 342

just imagine how many sticks of RAM
    u will need to jam into your tower to run EQ 2 smoothly on full settings::::06::

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    Remember this too: 1 single gig stick of ram is faster than 2x512. I recently made this adjustment and you really can notice a difference. I'm no wizard, but I think it's because all the ram is in one place instead of being in 2.image

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Yes, and 1 stick of 1 GB of Ram is also about double or triple the cost of two 512 sticks together.

Is it really worth that extra cost? Doubtful. Get yourself 1 GB of ram even on two sticks and you should have plenty of room to shake your stick.

Also keep in mind that the brand name of the ram that you buy matters.

Great name brands are 1) Crucial (from Micron) and 2) Mushkin
    Popular but not quite as good (but still good) quality brand names are 1) Kingston, 2) PNY, and 3) Samsung

Personally I'd go for Crucial. Well worth a few bucks more. Unless you just find another brand at like half of its price. Check Ebay, www.pricewatch.com, or even www.crucial.com for prices.

- Zaxx

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794
    Coolt hx guys I am gonna be looking into a 2 x 512mb set once i get home, thx for the info guys.

WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage

• HibameHibame Member Posts: 76

It also depends if the ram/mobo suport dual chanel ram which can be better then just one single stick

WARNING: My spelling is atrocious

• ChopesChopes Member Posts: 297

Originally posted by zaxtor99
    Yes, and 1 stick of 1 GB of Ram is also about double or triple the cost of two 512 sticks together.Is it really worth that extra cost? Doubtful. Get yourself 1 GB of ram even on two sticks and you should have plenty of room to shake your stick.Also keep in mind that the brand name of the ram that you buy matters.Great name brands are 1) Crucial (from Micron) and 2) Mushkin
    Popular but not quite as good (but still good) quality brand names are 1) Kingston, 2) PNY, and 3) SamsungPersonally I'd go for Crucial. Well worth a few bucks more. Unless you just find another brand at like half of its price. Check Ebay, www.pricewatch.com, or even www.crucial.com for prices.
    - Zaxx

I would go for the 1GB and maybe spring for 2 of them. With all of the new games coming out, some of which are relying on heavy graphics to make the game enjoyable, I would try and spring for it now, instead of slowly upgrading after, every season of cards because you will eventually have to get the 2gigs for it to work nice on lets say a game coming out in 2-3 years. So why not get it now, and then save up for adding on even more as time goes on. Look into the future with your computer and see how prices might reflect depending on gaming.

http://www.OriginNow.com
    Free File Hosting at Origin Now - 100 Megabyte Max Upload Per File

• paradymeparadyme Member Posts: 238

After upgrading to 2 gigs of RAM I can say that RAM is a very crucial part of MMORPG perfomance. I can say for me neither WOW or Lineage 2 lag at all when there are 100+ players on the screen(actually i havn't found the limit of players in one area to have any noticble lag.) . I upgraded from 2x512 OCZ platinum rev. 2 to 2x1024 OCZ Titanium and the performance boost was atleast 10 fold when in highly populated areas. Oh and thats on maximum settings for both games by the way. If you like doing raid content or sieges definatly throw a few bucks at as much RAM as u can.

• narrowpathnarrowpath Member Posts: 110

I just bought 2 sticks of 512mb DDR 500 (upgraded from 512mb of DDR 333) and bought the cheap stuff and i can see the difference on everything i play. This ranges from the mmo's to half-life 2 to Rome Total War. So you can spring for the more expensive stuff but i dont get why in the end its all RAM and if it runs at a lower Latency the you can always get an Overclocking tool.                         I had bought a new video card first (Nvidia 6600 gt) and i couldn't really see a difference in graphics till i bought the memory. I would suggest instead of buying the 1 gig of the the DDR 400, try and see how high your motherboard can handle, (in DDR like DDR 533 or DDR 400 etc.) and buy that because the faster the RAM you buy now, the longer it will last you into the future.

• ChopesChopes Member Posts: 297

Originally posted by narrowpath
    I just bought 2 sticks of 512mb DDR 500 (upgraded from 512mb of DDR 333) and bought the cheap stuff and i can see the difference on everything i play. This ranges from the mmo's to half-life 2 to Rome Total War. So you can spring for the more expensive stuff but i dont get why in the end its all RAM and if it runs at a lower Latency the you can always get an Overclocking tool. I had bought a new video card first (Nvidia 6600 gt) and i couldn't really see a difference in graphics till i bought the memory. I would suggest instead of buying the 1 gig of the the DDR 400, try and see how high your motherboard can handle, (in DDR like DDR 533 or DDR 400 etc.) and buy that because the faster the RAM you buy now, the longer it will last you into the future.

Maybe for now what you got will be good. But in dew time you would have wished you would have gotten the dual 1 GIG. with all the new releases coming you might need it. Just my opinion though.

http://www.OriginNow.com
    Free File Hosting at Origin Now - 100 Megabyte Max Upload Per File

• joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

You don't need 2 GB of RAM. LOL. Get this and it's what I have and it's the BEST Value RAM you can buy and you can Overclock it as well.

Here is link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227213

OCZ memory is VERY good, some of the best for overclocking as well.

The specs of my system:

Athlon 64 3200+ Venice - OC'd to 2.75ghz (275*10) at 1.55vcore
    Asus A8N nForce4 SLI motherboard
    OCZ Value RAM 1gb (2x512mb) dual channel DDR400 running at 208mhz at 1T with 2-2-2-7 timings / 2.9vdimm
    Gigabyte Geforce 6600GT OC'd to 580 core clock / 1200 mem clock
    Western Dig 80gb sata150
    NEC black dvd burner

COOLING:
    Thermalright XP-90C Copper Heatpipe w/ Panaflo 92mm fan
    Thermaltake Soprano Case
    2 Panaflo 120mm case fans
    1 Panaflo 92mm side case fan

My PC never gets above 45C at full 100% load running Battlfield 2 or WoW or any game.

I have about a 750mhz overclock in my CPU with RUNNING MY VALUE RAM at a slightly HIGHER speed than DDR400 with TIGHT TIMINGS AS WELL.

Trust me..get that ram it's worth every penny.

Joe

Originally posted by joejccva

You don't need 2 GB of RAM. LOL. Get this and it's what I have and it's the BEST Value RAM you can buy and you can Overclock it as well.
    Here is link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227213
    OCZ memory is VERY good, some of the best for overclocking as well.
    The specs of my system:
    Athlon 64 3200+ Venice - OC'd to 2.75ghz (275*10) at 1.55vcore
    Asus A8N nForce4 SLI motherboard
    OCZ Value RAM 1gb (2x512mb) dual channel DDR400 running at 208mhz at 1T with 2-2-2-7 timings / 2.9vdimm
    Gigabyte Geforce 6600GT OC'd to 580 core clock / 1200 mem clock
    Western Dig 80gb sata150
    NEC black dvd burner
    COOLING:
    Thermalright XP-90C Copper Heatpipe w/ Panaflo 92mm fan
    Thermaltake Soprano Case
    2 Panaflo 120mm case fans
    1 Panaflo 92mm side case fan

My PC never gets above 45C at full 100% load running Battlfield 2 or WoW or any game.
    I have about a 750mhz overclock in my CPU with RUNNING MY VALUE RAM at a slightly HIGHER speed than DDR400 with TIGHT TIMINGS AS WELL.
    Trust me..get that ram it's worth every penny.
    Joe

Agreed you dont need 2gb yet (as soon as longhorn comes out and dual core cpu's though you may) but for $25 more you can upgrade your memory by 800 mghz from ddr 3200 to ddr 400 and it will last you a lot longer. Its the difference between 55 and 75 mph check it out http://http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144517

The memory works great and ive had no trouble with it yet

I have a quick poll question i just thought of:

I have a quick poll question i just thought of:

Name brand DOES say alot about the ram you buy. You also need to try to get 2.5 or 2 CAS latency ram.

My stock ram timings are 2.5-3-3-6 / 2T running at stock vdimm volts also running at DDR400 which is 200mhz speed.

When I overclocked my Athlon 64 from 2.0ghz to 2.75, my FSB (HTT) is running at 275 with a x10 multiplier. Of course my ram can't run at 275mhz so I have to run a divider. What this means is I can set my DRAM settings in my bios to run at a lower speed than my FSB.

So, intuitively, I set my ram to DDR333 (275 x 0.83) = 228mhz and because I'm running the frequency lower, I can set my timings tighter to 2-2-2-7 at 1T. This allows me to have a nice stable overclock and still run my ram at a decent speed to coincide. My apologies in my earlier post, I said 208mhz...It was a typo. My ram runs at 228mhz.

Not ALL systems can do this of course...I have a VERY good venice cpu. (week 17 build) which is one of the best AMD has made. Keep in mind of my cooling as well. I spent the extra money and got GREAT air cooling.

Hope this helps.

Also one more thing, Athlon 64 processor performance suffers when running your RAM at 2T so it's best to adjust timings to get it STABLE at 1T.

Joe

cool dude you know you stuff, whered did you get you overclocking program for the Ram and is there a good site to help me overclock my ram so i dont fry it. Also what are you cooling your system with?

cool dude you know you stuff, whered did you get you overclocking program for the Ram and is there a good site to help me overclock my ram so i dont fry it. Also what are you cooling your system with?

Go read posts on Overclocking at http://www.anandtech.com

That's where I learned how to overclock effectively...great people there that know their stuff. I didn't use any programs to overclock, just a simple calculator and knowledge on how and where to do the settings...in BIOS of course. :)

I also recommend this site too http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/ . They have guides for overclocking almost ever CPU/MB combo in their forums. Just make sure you go thru every bit of information you can find on these sites, this is definatly not a practice you jump into with the first little bit of knowledge you learn.

Originally posted by paradyme
    I also recommend this site too http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/ . They have guides for overclocking almost ever CPU/MB combo in their forums. Just make sure you go thru every bit of information you can find on these sites, this is definatly not a practice you jump into with the first little bit of knowledge you learn.

Exactly...well said. Before I even bought my parts from newegg I did alot of research first. It took me forever to decide on a good case and good cooling. When I finally built my new machine I ran it at stock speeds for about a week running Prime95 - CPU torture testing, Memtest86 - Great memory tester, and Aquamark3 and 3dmark05 for video torture testing to make sure I had good parts first.

While doing this I read up on alot of forums and how-to overclock guides and it took a little getting used to learning it because overclocking is a little bit different when it comes to Athlon 64 cpu's because of the Hyperthread Technology.

When I was ready to start overclocking I went slow and used the ISOLATE and CONSOLIDATE overclock method that alot of people use. I tested my max FSB (HTT) first while taking ram and cpu out of the equation. (basically lowering ram and cpu to slow speeds to test max FSB) Then when I found my max FSB, I went to test my max CPU again taking ram out of equation. Then I tested my ram seeing how high I could go at 1T. Keep in mind when I did all 3 of these "max" tests I upped the settings slowly until I either could not boot, got BSOD's, freezeups in windows OR the biggie --> RAN PRIME95 torture test to see if it gave back any errors.

Once I was able to find out my "max" on each of the 3 tests, I went to consolidate them all and came up with a solid number for max safe overclocking. ::::28::

One thing to remember is: Just because you can boot into windows and get no BSOD's or freezups with your overclocked CPU does NOT mean it's stable. If you run Prime95 for a good solid 12-24 hours straight and it comes back with NO errors, THAT'S when you know it's stable. One time in one of my tests, I overclocked to 2.8ghz, booted into windows fine...ran Prime95 and it ran for about 3 hours fine but after 4 hours it came back with errors. So I lowered it to 2.75 and ran prime95 for 24 hours straight and was ROCK SOLID! Also played WoW, Battlefield 2, Counterstrike, and about 4 other games for HOURS and had no problems.

That's when I knew I had found my overclock speed and it was 150% rock solid. It's not something that you can figure out and do overnight. Takes time, patience, and practice.

Good luck! ::::28::

Joe

• tu_uilwentu_uilwen Member Posts: 794

ok myonly problem with buying 1 1x1g ram or 2 x 1g ram or even 2 x 512mb, is money, I only $40 to my name as with sit right now, cause I am on vacation, maybe once i get a job or see if i can get soem money weekly from my parents. I wouldn't mind have 2g but as some say is 1g seems to be fine.

Once i get home how do I see how fast my MB is so i know which type of ram to get and stuff?

and if anyonecan give me links to were i can find the ram they use that would be great.

WoW
    -Rhalon 85 B.E. rogue
    -Rhalon 81 UD Mage

• RamboldRambold Member Posts: 1
    not bad
  • Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Heres a link to an ebay ad for a Kingston 1 GB stick, only about $40 so far, might wanna watch it. Anything less then $90-$100 would be a great buy on this, and it's a reputable ebay seller too.

ebay link HERE

- Zaxx

• pyros98pyros98 Member Posts: 267

Originally posted by tu_uilwen

ok myonly problem with buying 1 1x1g ram or 2 x 1g ram or even 2 x 512mb, is money, I only $40 to my name as with sit right now, cause I am on vacation, maybe once i get a job or see if i can get soem money weekly from my parents. I wouldn't mind have 2g but as some say is 1g seems to be fine.
    Once i get home how do I see how fast my MB is so i know which type of ram to get and stuff?
    and if anyonecan give me links to were i can find the ram they use that would be great.

If you know your mobo type or have a pre-built PC, you can go on to any of the big RAM makers sites to find out how much RAM your mobo can handle and what speeds you need...

http://www.crucial.com

http://www.kingston.com

Originally posted by tu_uilwen

To see how fast you mobo is you need to take one of the sides off of the case and look at the mb for the version. Usually its by the name of the mobo in a place that can be seen. then you can usually either go to that brands site and spend some time looking for the motherboard and specs on it or you can like the someone said go to one of the ram sites and find your motherboard and version and it will tell you usually what ram will work with it. I did both. Also MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE POWER FROM YOUR MOTHERBOARDimage before opening the case or at least touchin stuff inside, if not you take the chance of fryin things which is not coolimage.

Actually you can download this very very useful tool CPUZ and it will tell u everything you ever wanted to know about you CPU/Motherboard/RAM. Of course, as a formality scan it for Viruses/Spyware as with everything you download.

When you run it just click on the Motherboard tab and post it back on here and we will be able to tell you what Ram you can get.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by zaxtor99
    Yes, and 1 stick of 1 GB of Ram is also about double or triple the cost of two 512 sticks together.Is it really worth that extra cost? Doubtful. Get yourself 1 GB of ram even on two sticks and you should have plenty of room to shake your stick.Also keep in mind that the brand name of the ram that you buy matters.Great name brands are 1) Crucial (from Micron) and 2) Mushkin
    Popular but not quite as good (but still good) quality brand names are 1) Kingston, 2) PNY, and 3) SamsungPersonally I'd go for Crucial. Well worth a few bucks more. Unless you just find another brand at like half of its price. Check Ebay, www.pricewatch.com, or even www.crucial.com for prices.
    - Zaxx

Yes, it is. Because if you buy 1 stick of 1gb you can later add another stick of 1gb for 2gb total whereas if you buy 2 sticks of 512 and only have 2 slots you're then stuck buying 2 sticks of 1gb to upgrade to 2gb of RAM.

More money in the short term = less in the long term.

Because once you have 1gb of RAM it's a LOT more fun to have 2gb and turn off your pagefile.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas