Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some Questions before buying

HankyHookHankyHook Member Posts: 10

I have been checking this game out online (screenshots, reviews etc)

I just have a few questions about the game before I will buy it.

1 - I've noticed in most multiplayer games and MMORPG's when there is a large number of people in one place the area lags all to hell...does this happen in CoH and does it affect game play at all?

2 - I've noticed there are missions and quests you can undertake...is there a risk of killstealers? Or can you lay a claim to a quest or villain that you're fighting?

3 - Roughly, how long does it take to reach the skill level of 50? I'll probably play a few hours a day.

4 - Once you reach the skill cap (50) what then? Can you continue to play and take missions and do things over?

5 - Has CoH mentioned that they will increased the skill level at any point in the future? Also, is the skill cap 50 in CoV?

6 - This is the one I'm most curious about...the servers. Because I'm from Australia will gameplay be more difficult because of the distance? How many people are on the servers at any given moment? Are some servers better than others? Any recommendations for a noob?

7 - Do many people play PVP? I like to test and better myself when I play games online and the only way to do that is by getting the snot kicked out of you by other real-life players.

8 - Not to sound anti-social but is there a way to get to skill level 50 and undertake all quests solo? I have had terrible experiences over the years with societies/clans/guilds/teams and wish to avoid that part if possible.

Thas all of my questions ?
Anyone who can help with some answers ?

Comments

• PrideboyPrideboy Member Posts: 26

Hi HankyHook those are some good questions, I'll help you out and answer these quest's the best I can.

Q: I've noticed in most multiplayer games and MMORPG's when there is a large number of people in one place the area lags all to hell...does this happen in CoH and does it affect game play at all?

A: There doesn't seem to be too much lag in the game when there are a bunch of people around, though it does highly depend on your system.

Q: I've noticed there are missions and quests you can undertake...is there a risk of killstealers? Or can you lay a claim to a quest or villain that you're fighting?

A: There are 2 types of quests/missions inside and outside. The Inside missions no one can get into unless their teamed with you. The outside ones are basicly "go kill these bad guys" which are plentiful and respawn in a decent timeframe. Items only consist of stuff that'll help your skills become more powerful...and money of course. Both of these you instantly get when the npc your fighting dies.

Q: Roughly, how long does it take to reach the skill level of 50? I'll probably play a few hours a day.

A: If you play at least 2 to 4 hours a day you should be able to reach 50 within a month or two...maybe less if you play for 4+ hours on the weekend.

Q: Once you reach the skill cap (50) what then? Can you continue to play and take missions and do things over?

A: Youy can still do missions I believe. I've never made it that far, but there are areas set up for diffrent skill sets, for instance the first town is for lvl 1-15 I believe....which you can gain fairly quickly

Q: Has CoH mentioned that they will increased the skill level at any point in the future? Also, is the skill cap 50 in CoV?

A: I do not believe that, at this time, they will be raising the top lvl anytime soon. Skills are not limited by lvl....the skill system here is diffrent then most MMO's

Q: This is the one I'm most curious about...the servers. Because I'm from Australia will gameplay be more difficult because of the distance? How many people are on the servers at any given moment? Are some servers better than others? Any recommendations for a noob?

A: I do not think there should be a problem for you to play from Australia, though...as I'm not from there I'm not sure, you might want to contact the developers of CoH about tjhat. As for the servers the servers they have as moderatly used during the day and get a little heavier at night. They are all the same som any one of them would be good for a starting character image

Q: Do many people play PVP? I like to test and better myself when I play games online and the only way to do that is by getting the snot kicked out of you by other real-life players.

A: I am unsure if CoH has PvP capabilites if there are, I may have not been at a high enough level to do such

Q: Not to sound anti-social but is there a way to get to skill level 50 and undertake all quests solo? I have had terrible experiences over the years with societies/clans/guilds/teams and wish to avoid that part if possible.

A: While is is possable to do such it is not recommended. I've also had bad experiances with teams and such in other MMO's, but the society that exists on CoH seems pretty friendly and helpful when IO was playing.

I hope that these answers can help you make a better informed opition about this game HankyHook.

• Lord_CalLord_Cal Member Posts: 22

I have been playing CoH since Beta and here is what I can tell you.

1) Lag really insn't a big issue. As the other poster mentioned the better the system you have the less lag you have to deal with.

2) Once again the previous poster was dead on. Indoor missions are for you and your team and only for you and your team. Kill Stealing can and does occur on outdoor missions, but there are plenty pof spawns around. Just turn a corner and there are plenty of mobs there.

3) My main character has been around since launch, over a year ago, and I have only acheived level 45. Though this is no fault other then my own, I am what is called and alt-aholic. In city you can create up to 8 character on eacher server and I usualy do. But if you play a few hour a day you can do it pretty easilly in a few months, but my word of advise is don't rush to 50 enjoy the game your first time through.

4) There are a few contacts in a special zone that give you unlimitted missions. Most contacts though have a set storyline for you to accomplish. ONce you have they no longer give missinons. Or you out level them and they no longer do. The big game 50 play are Hamidon Raids. Hamidon is a super NPC monster, as well as I can explain it, and it can take over a hundred heroes to defeat it.

5) The level cap was raised from 40 to 50 about 6 months ago. There were rumors of it being raised, but nothing concrete and I don't see it happening until after the release of CoV. So maybe next year.

6) There is always someone on try a few different servers until you find a good group at your play time.

7) Currently PvP is strictly played in the Arena. You can join or create matches for anyskill level. PvP is not a big deal in CoH currently, but with CoV on the horizon all that may change.

8) Getting to level 50 solo is possible, but not as enjoyable as teaming. When you team mobs in mission increase and there is also a small bonus for teaming. In the next issue, or update, they are going to make a modification to make soloing easier to do.

If you have nay further questions I am more then happy to help.

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

So many questions ... Well let us see what we can do for you.

1) Lag and the common area. If there is lag I have yet to see any in the game but I hear one of the lest major fights can get laggy. As far as lag when there are lots of people in say Atlas Park ... Nope no lag.

2) Missions. Most missions are instance so only your or your group members can enter and do the mission. if it is outdoors ...yes there can be kill stealing but the XP is then shared. So even if you do 80% of the damage you still get 80% Xp

3) To get to 50. Well as the song goes " Life is a journey not a destination". I have been on for a month and a bit and just got over 30.

4)Life at 50. Well you do get 2 classes to play with (aliens) and you may want to help  other noobs to the game ...

5) Life beyond 50.... Not that I have heard

6) Servers. Most servers are not all that busy, Least not that I have seen. I am on Virtue, Knight Alpha 9 at your service

7)PVP. Well there is and there is not a PVP system. It is an arena that you can go and test yourself against others but nothing outside the arena, but that could change with COV but no real word on that.

8) Grouping. I have managed to get up to where I am by limited grouping. It can be fun and a great way to get Xp. Task Forces are a group effort so if you want to do them you have to group. And there are a few missions that will require you to have one or two more to finish..(Disarm bombs) but mainly you can solo if you are the right archtype.

Welcome to the game and have a great day