Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion gone "Pay to Win" now

1235»

Comments

• ramdyramdy Member UncommonPosts: 71

I don't take serious any "free" game.

An mmorpg going free model looks like using the last card in hand to save the project.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

I don't care what anyone says. Cash SHops are BS. It won't make their profits increase. They'll lose customers and be left with mindless dolts "paying to win" because they're too lazy to earn @#$!  A community where the only people that talk are in trade chat. I hate F2P for that reason. They try to make it more for casuals and less for dedicated players. Sure the average working man can't put as many hours as some kid sitting in his mommy's basement playing days on end. But I still play and quest. Earning items and gear in game is just much more rewarding. And NOT having my life surrounded by MMOs actually makes the game more enjoyable when I do play instead of burning myself out on it like I did with WoW.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by r3zs1ckn3ss

I don't care what anyone says. Cash SHops are BS. It won't make their profits increase. They'll lose customers and be left with mindless dolts "paying to win" because they're too lazy to earn @#$!  A community where the only people that talk are in trade chat. I hate F2P for that reason. They try to make it more for casuals and less for dedicated players. Sure the average working man can't put as many hours as some kid sitting in his mommy's basement playing days on end. But I still play and quest. Earning items and gear in game is just much more rewarding. And NOT having my life surrounded by MMOs actually makes the game more enjoyable when I do play instead of burning myself out on it like I did with WoW.

Despite the P2W Runes of Magic is do quite well since being launched in 2009.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

THIS.  This right here frustrates me to no end.  It's validating what so many have said for so long about Korean games released in the West.  I wanted to naysayers to be wrong.  I'm just not sure I can keep investing in games where it's run by people who have absolutely no control whatsoever.  I'm not writing off Aion or Korean games, but this puts a dent in the armor in my book :(

I swear to God every asian developer out there thinks every American gamer is a freakin millionare, its unbelievable that in nearly every asian game pushed to NA  we pay 1000% + markup over Asian players.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

When i first started playing Aion and was still subbed to wow i was amazed.

Lots of world pvp and many balance problems, but WoW had that also.

The music in Aion was Epic and the gear looked incredible.

It had my attention till level 41 and then i quited due to the massive eyeballing boring grind.

I still had hope NCsoft would reduce the grind and add more quest / lowered the RNG in pvp/ / added more exp for dungeons.

But it never came only years later i saw some small improment of drop rates and mopre exp comming.

Little to late and a awesome mmo plunged down the depths.

Add to that the carebears farmed dung's 24/7 for gear and pvp died more and more.

A missed oppertunity if you ask me, it had a massive potantial for pvp players to shine and do massive battles.

Reading this doesnt suprise me at all tbh.

Grab what you can , NCsoft aint alone in this, WoW does the same :P

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Sorrow

THIS.  This right here frustrates me to no end.  It's validating what so many have said for so long about Korean games released in the West.  I wanted to naysayers to be wrong.  I'm just not sure I can keep investing in games where it's run by people who have absolutely no control whatsoever.  I'm not writing off Aion or Korean games, but this puts a dent in the armor in my book :(

I swear to God every asian developer out there thinks every American gamer is a freakin millionare, its unbelievable that in nearly every asian game pushed to NA  we pay 1000% + markup over Asian players.

Not that i agree with this but you don't have to be a millionaire to spend 5 to 7 bucks on what they are offering. 

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Buy to win is unfair money sucking system.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• MmoSwanMmoSwan Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by Supersoups

Not that i agree with this but you don't have to be a millionaire to spend 5 to 7 bucks on what they are offering. 

You missed the part where you need it for 7 gear parts with up to 6 slots. It's 7*6*(5 to 7)

|| Languages for gamers: http://gamerslingo.com
    /where God
    ERROR: Target could not be found
    /target Believer
    /skill science
    You missed your target since Believer ignores science
    /skill logic
    You missed your target since Believer traded all his INT for faith.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

stuff

Sure you don't have to. Creating or /and sustaining certain game features and mechanics in a way that allow game creator to sell 'relief' to players for money imho is unethical.  I think his 'millionare' coment was rather a 'figure of speach' against segregating players based on their wallets. 

Anyway, I am not playing any mmorpg atm. Was really considering Aion, simply becasue a) they seem to get alot of updates b) there have to something nice about this game if ~2,5 mln ppl in Asia subscribe/play it.

I am against any p2w / advantage sell in mmorpg's on principle and especially in games that offer subscription. 

So while I might miss good fun playing Aion just because of my priciples, I will miss it.  Some might think it's silly, but actually I am feeling good having, some principles in my life even if some of this principles are about something so trival as computer game.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

Originally posted by MmoSwan

You missed the part where you need it for 7 gear parts with up to 6 slots. It's 7*6*(5 to 7)

actually only idiots would use them for all 6 slots..ppl use them for the 5th and 6th slot since they are the hardest ones.

so w/e since wednesday they removed them again from the cash shop and i hope we wont see anything like this anymore. maybe the complaints on the forums are enough for ncsoft to recognize that alot of ppl in the west dont like stuff like this. but actually if there were enough ppl buyin those items then i guess we will see more stuff like that in the future.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

He with all the gold makes all the rules.

You guys mad?

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by MmoSwan

http://uk.aiononline.com/news/announcements/limited-time-felicitous-socketing-supplements-ncsoft-store

A sad day for Aion. NcSoft fixing their broken game with a cash shop. Now you got the option to spend 1000s of hours of grind to beat the random number generator or to pay extra $$$.

Uhm i hate to break it to you but this isn't pay to win, it's called Pay to Enhance...

So what does this "enhancement" do? It makes you hit harder, live longer...it helps you win.  You pay money, you save the insane amount of gold/time it takes to achieve the equivalent in-game.  It's literally millions and millions of gold and potentially months of time.  What you say is true... a bad player who spends real life money might still lose.

a tiny enhancement is still not enough to allow you to win. It's only a tiny enhancement. Like it or not it's still not pay to win. It's pay to save time. (and apparently save lots of sub money and heartache since they apparently still have failure in enchanting in this way in game) but that's it. If they sold gear, then yes it would be pay to win because gear by itself with it's stats enhancements would give you a huge advantage over just one or two points in enhancements. It's a tiny enhancement compared to the stats enhancements on gear. So yes it might give you a 1-2% increase in health or damage but that's not an instant win button, sorry, the math for this doesn't work that way.

I think people are raging because it "fixes" a mechanic that was considered to be a pointless time- and moneysink from day 1 - At least in the west.

I think if they had released cash-shop manastones people would be less enraged; Why? - Because failing a high-end manastone is pretty much the most anti-climactic thing you could imagine.

If Eve is here, with rock solid in its foundations that if you lose you do so because you're a stupid or naive idiot who doesn't deserve better....... Aion is on the north pole telling you that you just have to roll this dice a few dozen more times and everything will fall in place...... And maybe it does, for asian people.

M