Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Modification Madness

Comments

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Leoghan

This all boils down to one very simple thing. DE clearly believes he knows what is best for us when it comes to our own characters. We've seen this in his approach to playable (and even companion) species and we see it also in his refusal to admit that players want control over how their characters look. Father DE knows, best. 

I guess you missed the part where Daniel Erickson has said that "After launch, it becomes all about the players and what they want."  He specifically stated that the will develop this game based on the preferences of the people playing it.  Just because something doesn't make it in for launch doesn't mean it's never going to be in the game.  

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Some people claim that modability should be restricted so people be unable to show off bad taste.

I disagree!

It must be possible to pople to show their poersonal good/bad taste without restrictions.
    Any thing else is taste tyranny!

There can only be a few rules if for example an organization has official dresses and its resonable that such dresses/outfits cant be changed.
    But anything that is not an official dress must be as free as possble to mod for any taste!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Elikal

Hurm, I know it will put me in the hater corner in the eyes of some... BUT: I must say the SWTOR "fashion" does not have much coolness. I mean, it is functionally ok. But I have yet to see anything that looks REALLY cool. Too much shirts and pants have no thickness and folds and just look like painted on the skin. It looks... weird and unnatural to me. More like skintight hero spandex or men in tights. :/

Are you kidding?  Have you seen the high level armor on Bounty Hunters, Jedi Knights, Troopers, etc.?  The armor looks amazing.  

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

SWTOR is so overhyped at this point. So much so I think no matter how good it is as a title a lot of people will feel dissapointed as they have built the title up to be such a paragon in the MMO genre that it can never meet their lofty expectations.

This comment makes me LOL everytime I read it, even moreso when it has absolutely nothing to do with the thread it's being posted in. It's become just a blanket argument against all things TOR. Just a note... A game/movie/book/etc. can only be as hyped as the people that are paying attention will let it. I haven't seen anything on this game that I haven't gone looking for intentionally. There's no one forcing it down my throat unless I'm specifically pursuing that. That's what she said.

On topic: I agree with the OP 100%, and they have some great ideas for equipment customization. I think however it's cooked up and served, having the players in control of what items they choose to display to others is the only way to go nowadays. A major part of any roleplaying game, whether it's pen and paper, MUD, or MMO, is deciding what your character looks like. When games force you into items just because they're BIS that really takes away a sizeable portion of the fun of playing an RPG.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I just want to wear whatever my same-sex companion finds sexy. Shaping up to be a great game.
  • BoradinBoradin Member Posts: 27

Completely disagree with the OP.  There is no place for an "appearence tab" in a MMORPG. 

You want to wear armor/clothes that look different, make them. This debate should be solved with crafting. 

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I don't understand why we simply can't transfer stats to whatever item we like. It's done in Runes of Magic and works like a charm there, allthough it is only possible by purchasing the required stuff from the cash-shop. You can pimp an epic item and then apply a skin of a LvL1 item... and if RoM can do it, SWTOR and basically all others should be able to do it aswell.

Individualization of items and appearance is one of those features heavily missed in 99.99% of all the MMOs outthere. Nobody want's to play clones if it isn't for the sake of looking all alike in a guild.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by BadSpock
    I agree 100%. 10000000% actually.
    "I’ve long held the belief that items should simply be a vessel for their statistics. This means players should be able to remove the stats from the item itself and place them in another. If I find an item that is way better than what I’ve got but I think it looks like crap? No problem. Extract the stats into an item of some sort (say, a modification!) and place them into an item I like. "
    YES. This. It's almost 2012, the fact that items stats and visual style are still linked in any way in any MMO is appalling.
    The people who care about "looking l337" are going to equip their best looking raid/pvp gear anyways. I know people who would have their "Ogrimmar set" of gear they'd wear just to show off their BiS etc.
    Give me liberty!
    In all truth though I am all for an apperance tab regardless.
    Why?
    Leveling up - gear is so transient you are always swapping gear, getting upgrades etc. Any kind of modification system means a LOT of time and probably $ spent swapping out the look of that new drop/quest reward for your "prefered" style piece.
    Apperance tab = no need to always re-modify every time you get an upgrade stats wise.

This is what I loved about LOTRO's Legendary weapons system.

You leveled up a weapon you found, took stats off, added stats by changing runes. And if you found one you liked better you could level that one up as well.

Simply the best system I've seen yet and I miss that in-games.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Unfortunately stats are at times what mess games up, they make the focus on min/max instead of on character development, roleplay or other things.

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520

I like how Asheron's Call did their armor and loot system, and think that it should have been picked up by another developer in the last 10 years. You kill a mob, and it drops loot, some higher level mobs tend to drop better quality items but every piece of armor and weapon has a quality. You may get a Flawless quality item from a level 20 or from a level 120. The armor has basic statistics, such as the amount of protection it offers and the resistances. This system has been changed in later updates, but originally armor was not restricted, anyone could wear any type of armor. There were several types/styles of armor that came in a wide range of colors and combinations and could also be dyed. In the end people decided what type of armor they wanted to wear (usually Amuli, Celdon and occasionally Platemail) and what color combination they wanted. You came a across a wide variety of combinations amongst higher level characters but that same armor could be weilded by a level 10.

To expand upon the armor as a vessel idea, if you were to embrace the now commonplace practice of attribute modifying/enhancing equipment (which Asheron's Call did not utilize at all, buffs were the only modifications, which some armor had passively with a decaying charge), you could use AC's model as a base. Take the armor rating away and just leave protections and quality. Quality items (vessels) can be looted or crafted but it takes skill and chance to do so, each piece of armor has a basic property that varies in quality and type (i.e. cloth vs plate, fire resistance vs. cold resistance) and has sockets for modifiers to be placed inside. You can retrieve the modifiers and later find better ones but this allows you to choose your personal look regardless of level and have gear that matters and differs by quality.

I think one of the most charming things about some MMO's, namely Asheron's Call, is the loot system. In WoW and similar looting systems you are often heavily restricted on what the mob can drop when it dies, while this might give a nice layer of realism to a game it takes away that feeling of excitement when you go to loot a corpse. WoW offered that excitement in the way of Rare and Epic world drop items. AC offered it in the randomness of its item generation/loot tables. If items are to be at the core of your looting system, then you need a degree of randomness, otherwise I like the armor as a vessel idea, but it must differ in some way (quality-wise) that way you have the Shiny Black Suit of Awesomeness Perfect Quality to seek out, because right now you only have Good quality with so-so resistances and 2 sockets.

My priority for an appearance tab is that armor appearance is modifiable. Dyes, attachments, armor kits, whatever it may be, if you modify the armor the appearance changes. If there are sockets in the armor, make them visible and if you add a gem I want to see the gem in the place where there was an empty socket. The devil is in the details as they say and detail is a key factor in immersion. If I change something on my character, such as put on a new item (jewelry) and nothing changes physically to their appearance, I am always disappointed. Especially when I find a Shiny Chainmail Hauberk to replace my Rusty Chainmail Hauberk and the same texture was used for both items. Diversity is key in an MMORPG, because the more latteral diversity...the more depth.

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

If a MMO doesn't allow me to be me, well I have no use for it.  I enjoying being different and looking different from the other real peple I play alongside.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by BadSpock

Using WoW and Gem slots as an example (common knowledge example)

I imagine a system where 100% of stats from gear are from the Gems and these Gems are completely swappable.

New piece of gear you like the look of better? Swap your current gears Gems into it, equip it, done.

New piece of gear with better stats then what you are wearing? Swap the Gems from it into your current piece of gear. Done.

I like you.

Somewhat similar to CoH.  You basically pick how you want to look and your spells/abilities get more powerful as you level and are modified by inserting enhancements.   God I miss CoH.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Lotro and EQ2 had excellent appearance modification systems. To not do something in that vein would be vain.

Make it so...

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

as ice been saying since 2008!! every one will look the same. there will be specific types of armour every body will have for their class at each stage of leveling, there will be no uniqueness no individuality no noticeable customization.. we are all going to look the same. and that doesnt bode well for an MMO RPG!!!

players want to make them selves look unique to other players of their class. with this system they cannot. the only unique thing is the stats from the mod, but then that wont even be unique as soon some one will find the best combinations post a class build guide and every one will duplicate it like they do in every single other game!

EVERY ONE WILL LOOK THE SAME BE THE SAME LOL!

only a deep envolving crafting system can fix this problem with many visual options. with out it the game is just an mmofps with an rpg emphasis. its gonna be lame.

but it will look good while its being all crap.

when i think of words to describe this game and then go back over them, im heart brocken to discover that the words i chosen are all negative :( im having huge problems finding anything good about this game.

the one thing i can think of that might be of some entertainment is the radial optional replies to conversations which have an effect on game play.  i enjoyed that in the kotor games. not sure how it will pan out in an mmo though. it all sounds a little forced solo play to me.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by rygard49

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

SWTOR is so overhyped at this point. So much so I think no matter how good it is as a title a lot of people will feel dissapointed as they have built the title up to be such a paragon in the MMO genre that it can never meet their lofty expectations.

This comment makes me LOL everytime I read it, even moreso when it has absolutely nothing to do with the thread it's being posted in. It's become just a blanket argument against all things TOR. Just a note... A game/movie/book/etc. can only be as hyped as the people that are paying attention will let it. I haven't seen anything on this game that I haven't gone looking for intentionally. There's no one forcing it down my throat unless I'm specifically pursuing that. That's what she said.

On topic: I agree with the OP 100%, and they have some great ideas for equipment customization. I think however it's cooked up and served, having the players in control of what items they choose to display to others is the only way to go nowadays. A major part of any roleplaying game, whether it's pen and paper, MUD, or MMO, is deciding what your character looks like. When games force you into items just because they're BIS that really takes away a sizeable portion of the fun of playing an RPG.

Firstly you assume too much, particularly that I am anti SWTOR when I have had my pre-order for a long time now.

Secondly It is a relevant comment since the article talks about players whinging about the lack of customization on the forums. So my point stands, no matter how good they make SWTOR there will be people who are dissapointed. Hell there are people whining on the forums on a daily basis and venting their dissapointment over a multitude of points and the game is not even out yet !

People are building their expectations up to the point they will never be met and the marketting team is certainly not helping.

• lostkosslostkoss Member Posts: 149

Can I just get in and start playing already?

Then I wont have to read about this crap anymore, I'll be too busy uh  uh  uh.....

Playing StarWars ! Duh!

Instead of when I was 8,now when I point my finger I won't have to make the blaster sound effect myself.

Have a sense of humor, no need to get ALL MODDY ! :) A Simpson's quote shouldn't be worth a warning. You are lucky anyone is bothering to read this rag.

• thisisfunnythisisfunny Member Posts: 2

Alright. I just read through a majority of these comments, and just HAD to make an account on here to say a few things.

1. There are a few people that have posted in this comment section that are obviously in the beta and have linked certain parts of the article to you guys. Not saying that what they linked is or isn't what's going on. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't...

2. Just wait for the game to be released, it still isn't released so why is all this hating going on? Hey who knows, maybe most/all of you guys are WAY OFF on how the appearance system works in TOR, and it will be a pleasant surprise come launch day? Maybe, maybe not. 

3. The over hyped game comment. Hey, maybe the game is over hyped and everyone will be playing WoW again by February. Or maybe, Bioware has REALLY, TRULY outdone themselves with this game and has delivered on EVERYTHING they have been saying they would do, and it is truly a magnificent MMO that completely blows WoW out of the water. (The comparison will always be there, at least until TOR maybe or maybe not shows how superior it is). ((This last comment may or may not be the case as far as the absolute quality of The Old Republic.))

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a random internet message poster...

as per Bioware's rules.

1. There is a beta

2. I'm in the beta

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by thisisfunny

Alright. I just read through a majority of these comments, and just HAD to make an account on here to say a few things.

1. There are a few people that have posted in this comment section that are obviously in the beta and have linked certain parts of the article to you guys. Not saying that what they linked is or isn't what's going on. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't...

2. Just wait for the game to be released, it still isn't released so why is all this hating going on? Hey who knows, maybe most/all of you guys are WAY OFF on how the appearance system works in TOR, and it will be a pleasant surprise come launch day? Maybe, maybe not. 

3. The over hyped game comment. Hey, maybe the game is over hyped and everyone will be playing WoW again by February. Or maybe, Bioware has REALLY, TRULY outdone themselves with this game and has delivered on EVERYTHING they have been saying they would do, and it is truly a magnificent MMO that completely blows WoW out of the water. (The comparison will always be there, at least until TOR maybe or maybe not shows how superior it is). ((This last comment may or may not be the case as far as the absolute quality of The Old Republic.))

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a random internet message poster...

as per Bioware's rules.

1. There is a beta

2. I'm in the beta

I may or I may not appreciate your post to a very high degree.

At least it may or may not make me very curious indeed!

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

Fantastic article

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

This thread is a mess and is demonstrating how hard a single and simple information have to struggle to fend into the mass of misinformation when everything is kept into the dark, and is enable to go past so many layers of people interest from the people that know the true.

I think Lucas should read this thread and get his inspiration for his next SW movie trilogy, it sure would be more interesting than what he have done in his last trilogy. The light going through the dark is really a nice parable, it would fit perfectly his IP.

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

Hawt pants mod ftw!

• Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

i totally dont get where all those trouble with this system come from...

ME1 or even KOTOR2 modification system have all that people wanted, simply few of those "iconic look" items, acquired from lets say world arcs, so You will get only few during whole game should have only base stats as lets say armour, rest just mod slots, and grow with U, acquired at lev 10? ok, basic armour of similiar blue item, and 2 mod slots, at 20 a bit more armour and 1 more mod slot, it should never be in pair with best for lev item from flashpoint/worldboss/pvp/craftingcrit, but always enough to go on... with best possible mods item should be aprox 10% lower statwise than best in slot at given lev with same mods.

mods with requairements that we've seen lets say on WOW enchants: "only usable on items above xx level", and diversed into 10lev divisions: no lev req, 10+,20+,30+,40+,50 only, so noone would "twink" low levs with highend mods from operations...

simple and easy to do, in lines with heirooms from WoW i think (just no xp bonus) and no adventage over other players that didnt finish that specific world arc.

every1 would be happy... but no... they simply HAVE TO listen to beta testers that didnt even earlier played BW game or any succesful MMO...

blah, sometimes im really pissed at them for listening to community too much :(

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

I dont get it.

Implementation pre-relaese of an appearance tab cant be that much of work. Production was expensive enough already, who cares for another few manhours dev time. Empashis is on pre-release. As later patch this might be more of a problem.

No matter what is ingame to compensate for the lack of app. tabs, just implement them and be on the safe side for the time being.

Might as well put them in as quest(s) to earn holo-camouflage thingies for each slot (eg. unlocking each appearance slot by a quest)

The only thing i could imagine why they dont want it is, that they dont want troupers in undies or Jedi robes. This is something i would support then.

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338

I say appearance has it's place... as SOCIAL clothing. Seriously, do you think your local swat team member is out there trying to turn his bulletproof vest into a pink polka-dot spandex girdle? How many blaster hits does it take to get to the center of a whipped cream covered jawa? There's a reason in any world, real or imagined, that function takes precedence over form.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by ShredderSE

Hawt pants mod ftw!

Only if they come in rubber with a matching pair of thigh length boots!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis