Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kind of getting freaked out by robots..

One of the users here (Grunty) recently pointed out the seeming lack of a human touch that some of these short run posters were exhibiting.  I started browsing through the threads in the off topic forum, and noticed a significant number of these threads not only started by what seems like a bot, but also full of replies from what seem like bots.

Take the boarding school topic: half the posts are from recognizable forum users, half the posts (including the author) are from these entities that look like some sort of AI.  They almost always have an activity period that only persists for, at most, a day from their creation date, and the posts always have content that lacks any semblance of a human experience.  Almost as if they are pulling data from a search engine on random topics and assembling the resulting search hits into proper English, and then going into another thread or two and coming up with fact-based "opinions" in kind.  Before shutting down and never returning.

Now I'm not the most up-to-date individual when it comes to developments in technology, but I certainly don't recall anything like this existing so widespread.  This is sort of scary, to think about the implications of this kind of technology research.

Comments

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Testing AI bots on forums isn't a new thing.

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

I like robots. After humanity falls victim to their own base instincts, the bots can have fun chatting in forums here on MMORPG.com just like us while designing new chasis for self propulsion in the atomic, plague ridden, resource depleted wasteland we leave behind. Of course, they will only remember us by way of electronic records. So, If a robot in the future happens to read my post, please make a little PC memorial for me and leave a metallic flower in rememberance. Thank you.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Me too, emprove you sex life online .Ugg boots.  @ W W W. goldz.com

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

I wouldn't worry about the forum bots you can tell are... off.

Worry about the ones that actually pass the test.

Like me, Muahahaha!

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• accountingsaccountings Member Posts: 5

Humans are infinitely more complex machines but the most notable difference is between the brain and a computer processor. 

Computers are only capable of following a list of instructions exactly as programmed and are incapable of doing anything else. 

They are incapable of abstract thought processes, for example calculus. 

A human with a pen, paper and a set of log tables can find an exact answer to an integral equation, while a computer can only calculate an approximation of that answer using algorithms.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by accountings

Humans are infinitely more complex machines but the most notable difference is between the brain and a computer processor. 

Computers are only capable of following a list of instructions exactly as programmed and are incapable of doing anything else. 

A human with a pen, paper and a set of log tables can find an exact answer to an integral equation, while a computer can only calculate an approximation of that answer using algorithms.

When do we get to see your algorithim?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Originally posted by grunty

Originally posted by accountings

When do we get to see your algorithim?

BURN THE MACHINE!

• FraconsFracons Member Posts: 7

I think all those mentioned AI just want express thier capability in answering and giving some Crazy topics . like me. imageimage

• Annah_HAnnah_H Member UncommonPosts: 57

SkyNet!!! ;)

Formally known as Enigma

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Originally posted by Annah_H

SkyNet!!! ;)

I see boobies!!

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-