Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOL installs a virus on your computer!

OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It installs a program PMB.EXE that is Pando media booster.  If you try to tell me it is not a virus, I will have dispute that hotly with you.  LOL installs it and it works whether LOL is up or not.   All you have to do is fire up your resource monitor and look at all the net traffic it generates.

If that is not sleazy, I do not know what is, but if you have limits on how much you upload/download, pmb will put a nice dent in that number.

Nothing worse than a sleaze bag company installing extra programs on your computer without your knowledge. 

Comments

  • paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

    So does Lotro which if I remember correctly you seem to be enjoying, you bad, bad trollimage

  • quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

     Its quite simple to remove PMB from your computer after installation. I mean, assuming you know how to add/remove programs :)

     

    image

  • jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

    it is easier to create troll topic than to use google.....

    image
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

    It installs a program PMB.EXE that is Pando media booster.  If you try to tell me it is not a virus, I will have dispute that hotly with you.  LOL installs it and it works whether LOL is up or not.   All you have to do is fire up your resource monitor and look at all the net traffic it generates.
    If that is not sleazy, I do not know what is, but if you have limits on how much you upload/download, pmb will put a nice dent in that number.
    Nothing worse than a sleaze bag company installing extra programs on your computer without your knowledge. 

     

    http://www.file.net/process/pmb.exe.html
    its not a virus its a program that helps mmos use bandwith more efficiently

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

    Originally posted by jawali

    it is easier to create troll topic than to use google.....

     Don't use google, don't you know, it installs a virus on your pc too!!!

    image

  • PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

    Originally posted by Ozmodan

    It installs a program PMB.EXE that is Pando media booster.  If you try to tell me it is not a virus, I will have dispute that hotly with you.  LOL installs it and it works whether LOL is up or not.   All you have to do is fire up your resource monitor and look at all the net traffic it generates.

    If that is not sleazy, I do not know what is, but if you have limits on how much you upload/download, pmb will put a nice dent in that number.

    Nothing worse than a sleaze bag company installing extra programs on your computer without your knowledge. 

    It's not a virus.

    Now contend as promised.

    I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

    explorer.exe is a virus too isn't it? omg I must delete it! oh nos, it says it's a system file and can't be deleted, noooooooo I got perma-virus!

     

    like 90% of games today use Pando Media Booster to download install files.  It basically works just like torrents you download the file, and upload the parts you have...delete bitorrent and all those other P2P networking programs too.

  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,437

    Actually they do tell you about Pando Media Booster right at the beginning of installation, and since the program can be easily uninstalled, it's not really a virus.

    It's just another company taking advantage of the fact that lisence agreements and such are too long that anyone could read them.

     
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

    Originally posted by Vrika

    Actually they do tell you about Pando Media Booster right at the beginning of installation, and since the program can be easily uninstalled, it's not really a virus.

    It's just another company taking advantage of the fact that lisence agreements and such are too long that anyone could read them.

    Yeah, noone reads those EULA agreements.  We all signed up for the HumanCentiPad program!

  • LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

    Actually, this practically is a virus. If by virus, you mean something that unknowingly invades the privacy of most users.

    Pando Media Booster is basically a torrenting system, allowing for reduced cost of bandwidth for the corporation by using the consumers as bandwidth. (It's a torrent, basicaly).

    http://www.pandonetworks.com/media-booster

    Seeing as how most people do not know then when installing it (and they are forced to install it), in all practical application it IS a virus. A virus to your bandwidth, a virus to your privacy, a virus to YOU.

     

    Get real people! Few people actually read the EULA's, and thus they shouldn't have any real say in anything, especially legally. If you want to support a EULA, do it correctly. Force corporations to provide a common-EULA, which is a simplified explanation, as short as possible. A summary, if you will.

    You can't blame a consumer for not reading the EULA, because it is a waste of time and so full of legal jargon, most people cannot understand it. It also can be summed up in a few sentences "It lets them monitor what you do online." or "It lets them ban you anytime they want, for any reason." would say much more.

    People would get upset once they read a common-EULA. Why? Because they'd actually read it, and they'd understand. It would harm the corporations, and provide power and justice to the consumer. This should be SUPPORTED.

     

    Before you flame me, ask yourself "Why defend a corporation which could simplify a complex legal jargon filled EULA, to where ANYONE could understand?" and "Why defend EULA's when reading them wastes so much valuable time?"

     I don't know about you, but I value my time. I do not want to have to read thousands of pages of EULA before playing a game, when I might not even like the game. Every moment I spend reading a EULA (or vainly trying to understand it) is a moment I could be PLAYING THE GAME.

    So please, stop playing people for not reading the EULA. Stop defending corporations which make millions solely because they trick consumers by making a EULA so lengthy and complex, no sane person would ever read (or understand) it. Stop attacking other human beings, period, and start defending your consumer brothers.

    If none of you know, the HumanCentiPad had a strong political message, and South Park in general criticizes the stupidity and ignorance of society as a whole. We allow certain things to rule our lives mindlessly, and many of you defend these horrid things, just like the morons (mindless sheeple characters) on SouthPark.

     

    Stand for something, and if you don't have any values, create one that says "EULA are a joke, and no one should be fooled by them, and it's NOT their fault for not reading this CRAP! Corporations should be held responsible for informing their consumers, because that's what is RIGHT! Our time is VALUABLE!"

  • PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

    Originally posted by LeegOfChldrn

    Actually, this practically is a virus. If by virus, you mean something that unknowingly invades the privacy of most users.

    Pando Media Booster is basically a torrenting system, allowing for reduced cost of bandwidth for the corporation by using the consumers as bandwidth. (It's a torrent, basicaly).

    http://www.pandonetworks.com/media-booster

    Seeing as how most people do not know then when installing it (and they are forced to install it), in all practical application it IS a virus. A virus to your bandwidth, a virus to your privacy, a virus to YOU.

     

    Get real people! Few people actually read the EULA's, and thus they shouldn't have any real say in anything, especially legally. If you want to support a EULA, do it correctly. Force corporations to provide a common-EULA, which is a simplified explanation, as short as possible. A summary, if you will.

    You can't blame a consumer for not reading the EULA, because it is a waste of time and so full of legal jargon, most people cannot understand it. It also can be summed up in a few sentences "It lets them monitor what you do online." or "It lets them ban you anytime they want, for any reason." would say much more.

    People would get upset once they read a common-EULA. Why? Because they'd actually read it, and they'd understand. It would harm the corporations, and provide power and justice to the consumer. This should be SUPPORTED.

     

    Before you flame me, ask yourself "Why defend a corporation which could simplify a complex legal jargon filled EULA, to where ANYONE could understand?" and "Why defend EULA's when reading them wastes so much valuable time?"

     I don't know about you, but I value my time. I do not want to have to read thousands of pages of EULA before playing a game, when I might not even like the game. Every moment I spend reading a EULA (or vainly trying to understand it) is a moment I could be PLAYING THE GAME.

    So please, stop playing people for not reading the EULA. Stop defending corporations which make millions solely because they trick consumers by making a EULA so lengthy and complex, no sane person would ever read (or understand) it. Stop attacking other human beings, period, and start defending your consumer brothers.

    If none of you know, the HumanCentiPad had a strong political message, and South Park in general criticizes the stupidity and ignorance of society as a whole. We allow certain things to rule our lives mindlessly, and many of you defend these horrid things, just like the morons (mindless sheeple characters) on SouthPark.

     

    Stand for something, and if you don't have any values, create one that says "EULA are a joke, and no one should be fooled by them, and it's NOT their fault for not reading this CRAP! Corporations should be held responsible for informing their consumers, because that's what is RIGHT! Our time is VALUABLE!"

    TLDR

    Mind summing that up? It's kind of rambly and full of jargon at the beginning.

    I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

  • MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

    Originally posted by PukeBucket

    Originally posted by LeegOfChldrn

    Actually, this practically is a virus. If by virus, you mean something that unknowingly invades the privacy of most users.

    Pando Media Booster is basically a torrenting system, allowing for reduced cost of bandwidth for the corporation by using the consumers as bandwidth. (It's a torrent, basicaly).

    http://www.pandonetworks.com/media-booster

    Seeing as how most people do not know then when installing it (and they are forced to install it), in all practical application it IS a virus. A virus to your bandwidth, a virus to your privacy, a virus to YOU.

     

    Get real people! Few people actually read the EULA's, and thus they shouldn't have any real say in anything, especially legally. If you want to support a EULA, do it correctly. Force corporations to provide a common-EULA, which is a simplified explanation, as short as possible. A summary, if you will.

    You can't blame a consumer for not reading the EULA, because it is a waste of time and so full of legal jargon, most people cannot understand it. It also can be summed up in a few sentences "It lets them monitor what you do online." or "It lets them ban you anytime they want, for any reason." would say much more.

    People would get upset once they read a common-EULA. Why? Because they'd actually read it, and they'd understand. It would harm the corporations, and provide power and justice to the consumer. This should be SUPPORTED.

     

    Before you flame me, ask yourself "Why defend a corporation which could simplify a complex legal jargon filled EULA, to where ANYONE could understand?" and "Why defend EULA's when reading them wastes so much valuable time?"

     I don't know about you, but I value my time. I do not want to have to read thousands of pages of EULA before playing a game, when I might not even like the game. Every moment I spend reading a EULA (or vainly trying to understand it) is a moment I could be PLAYING THE GAME.

    So please, stop playing people for not reading the EULA. Stop defending corporations which make millions solely because they trick consumers by making a EULA so lengthy and complex, no sane person would ever read (or understand) it. Stop attacking other human beings, period, and start defending your consumer brothers.

    If none of you know, the HumanCentiPad had a strong political message, and South Park in general criticizes the stupidity and ignorance of society as a whole. We allow certain things to rule our lives mindlessly, and many of you defend these horrid things, just like the morons (mindless sheeple characters) on SouthPark.

     

    Stand for something, and if you don't have any values, create one that says "EULA are a joke, and no one should be fooled by them, and it's NOT their fault for not reading this CRAP! Corporations should be held responsible for informing their consumers, because that's what is RIGHT! Our time is VALUABLE!"

    TLDR

    Mind summing that up? It's kind of rambly and full of jargon at the beginning.

    I was just looking for where I hit "I accept"

    "They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

  • ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

    I''m not familiar with this program, but if a game wants to show their appreciation to people for playing their games, they should make any non-game add-on programs optional. To just slip it in on an unsuspecting person who is paying them to play their product-seems a bit shady.

  • PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

    Originally posted by ropenice

    I''m not familiar with this program, but if a game wants to show their appreciation to people for playing their games, they should make any non-game add-on programs optional. To just slip it in on an unsuspecting person who is paying them to play their product-seems a bit shady.

    What version of Windows do you guys run?

    I've disabled a lot of the pop ups asking me if I want to install this or that, but PMB.exe always pops up. It'd be helpful if there was an explination about what it does and why it's there (and there is in a couple out of the way places).

    Seriously it's been explained by others here. It's not harmful to a machine, your network, or personal information in any more of a manner than networked games anyway.

    It's not a virus, it's a widget.

    I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768

    Originally posted by Ozmodan

    It installs a program PMB.EXE that is Pando media booster.  If you try to tell me it is not a virus, I will have dispute that hotly with you.  LOL installs it and it works whether LOL is up or not.   All you have to do is fire up your resource monitor and look at all the net traffic it generates.

    If that is not sleazy, I do not know what is, but if you have limits on how much you upload/download, pmb will put a nice dent in that number.

    Nothing worse than a sleaze bag company installing extra programs on your computer without your knowledge. 

    Can you do the world a major favor and get that officially recognized over at:

    http://www.us-cert.gov/

    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

    Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

    https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

    Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

    John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

    FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

    LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"




  • Requiem6Requiem6 Member Posts: 237

    Originally posted by PukeBucket

    TLDR

    Mind summing that up? It's kind of rambly and full of jargon at the beginning.

    TL;DR

     

    He just found, after like.. 2 years or more that  LoL is out that they use Pando Media Booster for patching. Like... alot of Free to play game do. LOTRO, all Nexon games, etc.

    It's not a virus, at all, but the OP freak out because he think it spy you and have access to your life.

    And those game use it to make everything faster, that's what the program do. Install patch faster, download faster. But you don't need to keep it.

     

    While I don't like PMB either, you just can uninstall it by your configuration panel easily after each time you used it to install a game or whatever it needed it.

    Just ignore the wall of text lol.

  • BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

    Originally posted by Requiem6

    Originally posted by PukeBucket

    TLDR

    Mind summing that up? It's kind of rambly and full of jargon at the beginning.

    TL;DR

     

    He just found, after like.. 2 years or more that  LoL is out that they use Pando Media Booster for patching. Like... alot of Free to play game do. LOTRO, all Nexon games, etc.

    It's not a virus, at all, but the OP freak out because he think it spy you and have access to your life.

    And those game use it to make everything faster, that's what the program do. Install patch faster, download faster. But you don't need to keep it.

     

    While I don't like PMB either, you just can uninstall it by your configuration panel easily after each time you used it to install a game or whatever it needed it.

    Just ignore the wall of text lol.

    ^

    He who keeps his cool best wins.

  • MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,385

    I was installing LOTRO on the wifes computer last night and it installed PMB. Does that make Turbine a sleaze bag company?

    www.agonysend.org

  • RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

    That you OP, i forgot to uninstall it. I also don't like software that run in the background for cheesy reasons, it just make me nervous.

    But i think the main reason is because it let you stop/pause downloads at the game instal, but ye still, it shouldn't keep running afterward, and especially when you don't play the games that installed it. Sound like GameGuard crap to me.

  • just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

     Pando Media Booster gets installed with quite a few MMO's, I agree that it is not something you want on your PC but it is not a virus.

     It's just something ninja'd into downloaders/installers that leeches away your bandwidth, but it can be removed from your PC simply as any other program would.

    (PS. if you see a direct download link available instead of using their offical downloader program, choose that and it usually doesn't install PMB)

Sign In or Register to comment.