Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tap Repeatedly impressions on SWTOR

Comments

• Archangel326Archangel326 Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Nazgol

Originally posted by grawss

Originally posted by Guileplayer

Originally posted by Eir_S

What you're doing is attemping to simplify features to their most basic explanation for GW2, but not for TOR. This makes complete sense, because none of the features you listed for TOR have anything to do with gameplay (except for "cover" which is extremely limited).

So I'm not blaming you, but you need to look at the big picture if you're to get into an argument about these things. GW2 features effect just about everything, while TOR's effects the storyline. As has been said many a time, the storyline can only play so much of a part in a game before people need some actual innovative gameplay mechanics.

An example of the short-sightedness of your posts:

You say "dual specs" solves the holy trinity problem, but that isn't looking at the big picture. In a game with a holy trinity, every PvE encounter involves a tank, healer and some dps. This allows developers to create extremely simple "tank and spank" encounters which require memorization of scripted AI rather than actual strategy. When you take away the holy trinity, however, you're forcing the developers to create encounters that require actual strategy. One person can't "tank" a boss the entire time, so they must switch off, dodge correctly, etc. In PvP, a "healer" provides a target to kill, so if you take that out, more coordination is required.

100% of the "first time features" you listed for TOR have been done already, but on a smaller scale. But according to you, all those features you listed for GW2 are not first-time features because they've been done before. Your posts are just dripping with bias.

Thanks, took the words right out of my mouth.

Guilleplayer, if you want to involve yourself in this silly fanboy war to the point where you blind yourself to a game that will probably be very good, then I can't change that. If you really can't see how the mere fact that GW2 has no trinity will drastically affect almost every aspect of it's gameplay, then nothing I say will sway you.

As for me, I am looking forward to both SWTOR and GW2 for different reasons.

Actually your wrong, GW2 does have a trinity. They just changed tanking to control, but it still has a trinity. They even state it themselves on the GW2 website.

Link?  I think I know what you're talking about, but I would like to see how ANet phrased it.

Anyway...here's the difference between "trinity" or whatever you want to call it in GW2 and other games like WoW. 

In WoW or Rift or Aion you will always be relegated to a specific role in combat, typically healing, tanking, or DPS.  Even though you can often respec to another role out of combat, you will never be flexible inside of combat.  Sure, you can try to be a "hybrid," but those game all make sure that hybrids basically have to choose one of the roles, and if they don't they are horribly ineffective.

In addition, the trinity also builds "dependencies" between classes so that you can't do any group content without having people to fill the different trinity roles.  It restricts what you can do.

In GW2, you will be free to change your "role" at any time, even while in combat very quickly.  For example, if you are an elementalist, you can be attuned to "fire" while you are blasting someone from afar and then switch to earth attunement when they get close to be more "tanky."  From what I know, swapping roles will be a big part of combat.  This, to me, is a big distinction from traditional trinity games.

Also, even if there is some kind of "trinity" in GW2 among the classes, it's not like the traditional one in that it does not build dependencies.  I know in one of the videos the devs stated that five thieves were able to do a difficult dungeon together.  This would never be possible with five rogues in WoW.

Man GW2 souns like its going to be a blast I hope I can find the time to play both GW2 and TOR. But I might have to just wait on GW2 untill I play through at least 1 class on TOR

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by azmundai

Ouch. Im finding it less and less likely ill even buy this game anymore. I was pretty convinced it would be worth the box price and give me a good month of entertainment .. but im actually starting to doubt that now.

The more i read from reviews and from the leak sites the more i'm starting to feel the same way, not about buying it but whether i'll like it or not. I'll still buy the game to see if the PvP aspect feels anywhere the same as WAR did as the feel of combat in PvP is meant to be similar. The rest of the game really isn't sounding too promising at this point, at least for me.

Agree, it probably will be interesting for its story, but nothing more. Not a game to spend more then 3 months. Thats way I never preorder anymore ;)

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

Reading this thread has honestly made my head hurt.

It's pretty much bitching and moaning about some guy who played 10 minutes of Swtor, followed by an all out GW2 vs SWTOR brawl.

At the end of the day, no one cares. The way I see it, neither game will receive the fame and fortune of WoW, and I'm pretty sure both games will have a comfortable sub base that supports them.

All of you are retarded.

Just sayin'.

Groovy.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

what does "tap repeatedly" implying exactly? Im assuming its somethign negative, because, everyone hates SWTOR - that's why everyone is getting it

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

All I can do is "lawl" at that impression.  I find it hard to take anyone seriously when they repeatedly compare anything to World of Warcraft.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Let me wrap this article up in a trailer quote style:

Star Wars The Old Republic

"devoid of any feeling"

"uninspiring and clumsy"

"incredibly frustrating"

"entirely boring"

"agonisingly dumb"

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• Archangel326Archangel326 Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Locklain

All I can do is "lawl" at that impression.  I find it hard to take anyone seriously when they repeatedly compare anything to World of Warcraft.

I agree, To me its like compairing Apples to Pears. Both are round both are green both come from trees and you have to bite into both. So clearly the pear is an apple clone.

I say both are good just eat them and shut up about it.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by theratmonkey

Reading this thread has honestly made my head hurt.

It's pretty much bitching and moaning about some guy who played 10 minutes of Swtor, followed by an all out GW2 vs SWTOR brawl.

At the end of the day, no one cares. The way I see it, neither game will receive the fame and fortune of WoW, and I'm pretty sure both games will have a comfortable sub base that supports them.

All of you are retarded.

Just sayin'.

I just can’t believe how long this thread has gone…

Or maybe I can. People like to endlessly debate topics they are passionate about over and over. Hell, it’s the main reason sites like MMORPG.com exist. What I find funny is how some posters like to overly pontificate about the merits/demerits of a particular game like their opinion the only one that mattered. Worse yet, those posters who are so blinded by their viewpoint they confuse opinion with fact.

I get it that some of us have been playing MMOs since way back in the day. It is only natural some of us may feel burned out or bored with the sameness in today’s MMO offerings. But the sad fact is, millions of new players have no such reference as they are relatively new to the hobby. As long as they make money, developers will continue to cater to the mass market (MMO vets need not apply), games using basically the same formula will continue to be made and disgruntled vets will come to MMORPG.com to complain about the current state of the industry… 

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

This thread is so full of dumbass. So few poster's in this thread actually post anything intelligent, accurate or worthwhile "positive or negative"

Glad I can visit the beta forums now, to participate in real informed debates and comments about this game.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by laserit

This thread is so full of dumbass. So few poster's in this thread actually post anything intelligent, accurate or worthwhile "positive or negative"

Glad I can visit the beta forums now, to participate in real informed debates and comments about this game.

You haven't been here long have you?

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I'm already enjoying the game and will continue to do so after its release.  I enjoyed WoW, despite all of the hate it garnered on this website and I will do the same with TOR.  I don't need the approval or justification from the haters on this site.  The game will be a success, because I know my tastes better reflect the mood of the MMO player base at large than most of these haters like to think theirs does.  They're just irritated that they no longer matter and that their voices have been drowned out by the masses of casual gamers.  They no longer dictate the direction of the genre and have been relegated to the dark corner of the superflous and whiny outsider.

• nuififunnuififun Member Posts: 123

Lewis B of Tap Repeatedly doesnt like it and he didnt like the look of it before he went to the Expo.

This is what the author of the article had to say on the 1st of Sep after a Hutball video was posted by Bioware

''As for the video they speak of, it was actually looking pretty good until the Huttball game actually began, at which point I was once again reminded of how terrible SW:TORs animations are, how terrible the framerates are and how terrible the combat looks.   In principal I think the idea behind the Warzone is good and it very much reminds me of Warhammer Online’s ‘Murder Ball’ but with passing elements, which could all undoubtedly be a lot of fun.  Sadly though, the game that accompanies the idea still looks no where close to RIFTs quality standard, never mind Guild Wars 2. ''

June 27

I’ve not posted anything about Star Wars The Old Republic in a while.  There is a reason for that and it’s mostly because it still doesn’t look any better. 

June 10th

''Star Wars: the Old Republic is just not working for me and besides Baldur’s Gate, I’ve never really found any Bioware games of interest''

Looking through the list of articles he's done on GW2 however.. completely the opposite he really likes the look of this game...

May 19 2010

''If you aren’t already aware, news is finally trickling out of ArenaNet about Guild Wars 2. As a sequel to their fabulous episodic Guild Wars series (originally announced alongside the final Guild Wars expansion Eye of the North in 2007), and having been waiting for what seems a life time, my excitement level has now reached dizzying heights..''

you can picture the dribble running down his chin..

Conculsion Author is a Self Confessed GW2 Fanboy.. and hes doesnt like the look of SWTOR... 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Joshua69

what does "tap repeatedly" implying exactly? Im assuming its somethign negative, because, everyone hates SWTOR - that's why everyone is getting it

"Nobody goes to that restaurant.  It's too crowded."  -Yogi Berra

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Archangel326

Originally posted by Nazgol

Originally posted by grawss

Originally posted by Eir_S

Link?  I think I know what you're talking about, but I would like to see how ANet phrased it.

Anyway...here's the difference between "trinity" or whatever you want to call it in GW2 and other games like WoW. 

In WoW or Rift or Aion you will always be relegated to a specific role in combat, typically healing, tanking, or DPS.  Even though you can often respec to another role out of combat, you will never be flexible inside of combat.  Sure, you can try to be a "hybrid," but those game all make sure that hybrids basically have to choose one of the roles, and if they don't they are horribly ineffective.

In addition, the trinity also builds "dependencies" between classes so that you can't do any group content without having people to fill the different trinity roles.  It restricts what you can do.

In GW2, you will be free to change your "role" at any time, even while in combat very quickly.  For example, if you are an elementalist, you can be attuned to "fire" while you are blasting someone from afar and then switch to earth attunement when they get close to be more "tanky."  From what I know, swapping roles will be a big part of combat.  This, to me, is a big distinction from traditional trinity games.

Also, even if there is some kind of "trinity" in GW2 among the classes, it's not like the traditional one in that it does not build dependencies.  I know in one of the videos the devs stated that five thieves were able to do a difficult dungeon together.  This would never be possible with five rogues in WoW.

Man GW2 souns like its going to be a blast I hope I can find the time to play both GW2 and TOR. But I might have to just wait on GW2 untill I play through at least 1 class on TOR

Good attitude, I feel the same :).  I don't know why so many folks feel like you have to trash GW2 if you like SWTOR and vice versa.  They are both probably going to be very good games.

As a consumer, you should be happy that we're getting TWO MMORPGs that will likely be very awesome coming out likely a few months apart.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Only thing that looks interesting in that video and new is the random event occuring throughout the world. And music as one of the reason to play GW2? come on man SWTOR has music composed by John Williams. And i already mentioned the dynamic battle system (dodging) is great. But the saving the town thing looked good but it is an instanced event right? Actually, no And let me get this straight your are running around in the world randomly for quests to pop up right? Still no  I am not hating on GW 2 but i am not buying the GW2 IZ INNOVATION either. Almost everything in GW2 is  a traidtional MMO feature. If you're uninformed, yes. I already mentioned new things TOR implementing. My question what new things GW2 is implimenting? I mean its these GW2 fanboys that come here and create negative topics calling TOR a clone but to me it seems like TOR has more first time features than GW2. And as for the video i guess i will go point by point,

10) Production quality (TOR has a much highter Production quality than GW2) ... not going to touch this, but this is partly a matter of taste.  Obviously this partly depends upon what you're looking at.

9) Music (TOR's music is composed by John Williams) John Williams composed no music for this game.  The music from the movies are in the game, but there's more music by Jeremy Soule (KOTOR), and even more of the music is original music for the game, not by either of them.

8) Content Scaling (This feature is already present on CoH, and Champions Online etc.)  Uhm... not really in the same way, but you've already shown you don't really have a very firm understanding of GW2.

7) Dynamic Events (Same as public quest but done 10 times better here)  ... being 10 times better isn't a major difference to you?  I know I'd rather eat food that tastes 10 times better, and I'd consider it a huge difference from the competition. :T

6) Dynamic Combat (while not as fast as Action RPGs it is a step forward in traditional MMO IMO)

5) No monthly fee (lol is this really an issue for someone? i am paying 15 dollars for WoW for 7 years now) I could afford to pay 15 dollars a month for all sorts of things, like breathing, but why should I if I don't have to, and I can get the same level of experience?

4) Arts and scaling (other games don't have that? I think games like WoW or TOR have amazing art designs so what makes this ones any special. This entire point comes down to opinion) Yeah, not going to argue opinion here.

3) PvP (besides an improved RvR from DAoC i see nothing new here) The structured PvP is considerably different from what any MMO has ever done.  It's far more like a cross between GW PvP and an FPS for PvP.

2) Ablities and weapons (this looks good but how effective is to be seen)

1) Trinity (games like WoW and ToR have dual spec system, problem solved?) Some people actually like the trinity.  Having a system not based off of the holy trinity, and the particular system they're using in particular is different.  I consider it an improvement, some people won't.  It's definitely not the same, though.

You keep calling me a GW2 hater but you can't show me anything ground breaking from GW2, I atleast tell you the things TOR is doing different and the new things it is adding. ... everybody else has already pointed out the way you work this, so I won't bother to correct it.  Other than to say the fact you conflate GW2 underwater content with WoW underwater content makes me think you don't know anything about GW2's underwater other than 'it's under water'. :T

I'm not going to go comparing GW2 to SW:tOR or go 'OMG, guys SW:tOR not full of innovation, BLAR'.  I'm just trying to help you clear up your misconceptions about GW2. :P

Only thing I said about SW:tOR was correcting what you said about the composer.  (Actually, for a brief bit you had me really excited because I was like 'John Williams composed new music for this?', and then I was 'oh.  Never mind.')

Good attitude, I feel the same :).  I don't know why so many folks feel like you have to trash GW2 if you like SWTOR and vice versa.  They are both probably going to be very good games.

As a consumer, you should be happy that we're getting TWO MMORPGs that will likely be very awesome coming out likely a few months apart.

What could be better news than having 2 great games on the horizon?

3?

I'm interested in seeing how GW2 dynamic questing works.  Anything that can get us past the "mobs standing around picking their nose" aspect of MMO's is good news for all, IMO!

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Skipping all the petty arguments and getting to the original topic...

My impressions are that it is one of the best stories and voice acting ever put into ANY game, not just a MMO. For that alone it's worth the price of admission. The graphics have some low res textures and it would be nice if they had higher settings for people with nice computers, but they are still really good and the optimization and performance is great.

The rest of the game is substandard and mediocre at best. The combat is clunky and generic and a big step backwards compared to where MMOs with that type of combat are (Wow, Rift).

The game is completely on rails, there is no exploration and you are forced down a path with no alternative. It's alot like Dragon Age in that regard.

There are of course group dungeons or flashpoints as they call them, but they feel tacked on more than part of the story. The main bulk of the game is a single player RPG story game. That brings me to my main problem with the game, the monthly fee. If the game is essentially a single player RPG story game then why can't I just play that part of the game without a subscription. I am already paying 60 bucks for the cheapest version of the game. They can take away all the multiplayer aspects, hell even make it offline for non subscribers. but I should still be able to play the game without having to pay 15 bucks a month on top of the 60 bucks to play a single player RPG.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by ghettobooste

Skipping all the petty arguments and getting to the original topic...

My impressions are that it is one of the best stories and voice acting ever put into ANY game, not just a MMO. For that alone it's worth the price of admission. The graphics have some low res textures and it would be nice if they had higher settings for people with nice computers, but they are still really good and the optimization and performance is great.

The rest of the game is substandard and mediocre at best. The combat is clunky and generic and a big step backwards compared to where MMOs with that type of combat are (Wow, Rift).

The game is completely on rails, there is no exploration and you are forced down a path with no alternative. It's alot like Dragon Age in that regard.

There are of course group dungeons or flashpoints as they call them, but they feel tacked on more than part of the story. The main bulk of the game is a single player RPG story game. That brings me to my main problem with the game, the monthly fee. If the game is essentially a single player RPG story game then why can't I just play that part of the game without a subscription. I am already paying 60 bucks for the cheapest version of the game. They can take away all the multiplayer aspects, hell even make it offline for non subscribers. but I should still be able to play the game without having to pay 15 bucks a month on top of the 60 bucks to play a single player RPG.

There's a lot of ways to look at the game.

I myself am seeing it like this:

Bioware finally putting the RPG back into MMORPG.

That said, if you are going to solo through the game, that's your choice. I just hate it when people use it as an excuse, though.

Originally posted by BizkitNL

That said, if you are going to solo through the game, that's your choice. I just hate it when people use it as an excuse, though.

I see it like this:  There are 8 individual KotOR stories here that comprise some 25-30% of the overall content.

I would have gladly bought ONE new KotOR game for 60 bucks, and here I'm getting 8 for the same price and monthly fees.  Plus multiplayer options.  Plus crafting.  Plus huge, open zones.  Plus a space mini-game.

If end game turns out to be just a bunch of crappy raids, I'll probably cancel my sub in a few months and be disappointed in that, but I'll have DEFINITELY gotten my money's worth.

Agreed, there are multiplayer aspects to the game. I wasn't saying there aren't. What I was saying is the bulk of the game is a single player story game. They added some harder mobs that people who are also doing (or forced to do) the same solo story as you can group up together to beat, but unless they are at the same part of your story they aren't going to do that with you. The other multiplayer aspects are the flashpoints and pvp, but the solo content in the game is the majority, probably like 80-90% of the game.

You have no option but to solo through the game, that or you are going to miss out on the bulk of the content. The content that makes the game worth playing.

• mxishmxish Member Posts: 31

This game isnt really that good at all lol.

Voice acting is ok, although it seems very cut and paste at times.

combat and animations are not as polished as other mmos.

I think people will play it, but it will be about as popular as rift,  no more.... its just not good enough.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Agreed, there are multiplayer aspects to the game. I wasn't saying there aren't. What I was saying is the bulk of the game is a single player story game. They added some harder mobs that people who are also doing (or forced to do) the same solo story as you can group up together to beat, but unless they are at the same part of your story they aren't going to do that with you. The other multiplayer aspects are the flashpoints and pvp, but the solo content in the game is the majority, probably like 80-90% of the game.

You have no option but to solo through the game, that or you are going to miss out on the bulk of the content. The content that makes the game worth playing.

Hm. I see what you're saying, but as I haven't quite delved into it yet (3 days is hardly a reference), all I can respond with is:

I don't want to believe you.

I'm serious. That's all I got right now :).

Originally posted by Robsolf

I see it like this:  There are 8 individual KotOR stories here that comprise some 25-30% of the overall content.

I would have gladly bought ONE new KotOR game for 60 bucks, and here I'm getting 8 for the same price and monthly fees.  Plus multiplayer options.  Plus crafting.  Plus huge, open zones.  Plus a space mini-game.

If end game turns out to be just a bunch of crappy raids, I'll probably cancel my sub in a few months and be disappointed in that, but I'll have DEFINITELY gotten my money's worth.

Me too, that is how I am looking at it as well. The thing that is buggin me is the monthly fee though. I shouldn't have to shell out over a hundred dollars to play a single player RPG for more than 3 months. Take away the multiplayer options. No Prob...

I bought the original KOTOR game when it came out too, and I have gotten great value out of it.  But imagine if it had a monthly fee and you were never able to go back and play it unless you paid them MORE money.

Also,

The huge open zones aren't that open.. it's all on rails man.

The space mini-game is a joke. It's like Galactica. You have no options in steering your ship you control your guns and shoot things along the predefined path you are forced on. It's kind of ironic actually.

Crafting is pretty cool, but slow. It's all done with your companions.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Hm. I see what you're saying, but as I haven't quite delved into it yet (3 days is hardly a reference), all I can respond with is:

I don't want to believe you.

I'm serious. That's all I got right now :).

What ghettobooste says is my fear and potential criticism of the game as well.  Like you, I hope he is wrong, but given that I had a 90% solo experience in WoW and Rift...I fear SWTOR may be the same.

I will enjoy SWTOR even if it is another 90% solo game, but I will be disappointed.  I completely believe that SWTOR is putting the "RPG" back in MMORPG...I'm just scared it left the "MMO" out.  Let's just hope ghettobooste's assessment isn't completely accurate.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

What ghettobooste says is my fear and potential criticism of the game as well.  Like you, I hope he is wrong, but given that I had a 90% solo experience in WoW and Rift...I fear SWTOR may be the same.

I will enjoy SWTOR even if it is another 90% solo game, but I will be disappointed.  I completely believe that SWTOR is putting the "RPG" back in MMORPG...I'm just scared it left the "MMO" out.  Let's just hope ghettobooste's assessment isn't completely accurate.

The assessment might not be accurate. I obviously haven't experienced the full game. Those are just my impressions so far.

As negative as it sounded, I am still planning on keeping my preorder.