Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Ashes of History Impressions

2»

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by jdnewell

I did the same thing.

I subbed for a month to check it out, logged in for a few days and have not logged back in since.

Sadly I did the same thing. I thought maybe they would have done something similar to what AoC has done with their solo dungeons but the chronicle single man dungeon lasted about 10 minutes. I'm not sure how other people feel but I think Rift should have taken a page out of LotRO's playbook and put in a skirmish style system.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Rogosh

The difference is Aion was a horrible game, and Rift is in fact fun with, gasp, itemized dungeons raids events invasions etc.

I left Rift to play Aion and I'm having a blast. Go figure. Rift is definitely a fun game, but I just find Aion more enjoyable.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

I guess therte is something wrong with me, I love Rift and have been playing since early start.  Just re-subbed for 6 months.

IMHO it;s the best mmorpg on the market hands down right now.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Originally posted by Cryptor

I guess therte is something wrong with me, I love Rift and have been playing since early start.  Just re-subbed for 6 months.

Well, maybe it is..for you

It has tons of subscribers, so there are people who find it entertaining and a worthy place to spend their spare time and cash for a sub.  Even WoW has millions of subs.  Heck, even Runescape has a very good playerbase.   Every game caters to those that find it attractive.

I kind of look at it as a turd.  Even flies like a turd, but at the end of the day it is what it is.

• ScarhavokScarhavok Member Posts: 8

Interesting comments. I actually unsubbed a week ago because I really wasn't playing Rift very much anymore. My sub was to run out 2 days after the 1.5 release and now i've resubbed. I'm very much enjoying the chronicles. Not everything is about gear to me. Of course I outgear the instances but im there for the artifacts/encounters/story and some exp/cash on the side.

Nothing is a "grind" if you're enjoying just playing the game. I've got SWTOR pre ordered and i'll be playing GW2 but SWTOR hasn't released yet and if its not that great after a few months i'll head back to Rift which will probably have even more content released.

If your enjoying Rift at the moment and reading this comments section, keep in mind that most of the people who are also enjoying it are just playing the game and not on forums. I just wanted to add my 2c that I actually resubbed after playing 1.5.

To each their own.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Between the constant Crash to Desktops and disconnects, the PA grind and people bored with the Chronicles already, people are already talking about 1.6 and 1.7.  That's bad when you release a brand new patch with "content" and a week later, people are already saying "When does patch 1.6 come out?" 

Not paying again for six more months was a really good move for me. As the saying goes "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

While I do think that some of the class adjustments that have been made over the last few months has really helped the game (at least in my humble opinion), I'm still trying to see where the longterm playability lies.

Dailies.  Do the same tasks every day.

Raiding.  Run the same raid every week until another raid comes out.

Elite dungeons. Run the same dungeons every day/a few times a week/once a week. 

Wait for 10+ minutes for a WarFront to pop.  Hop in and kill (or be killed) by the same people time and time again.

Games need to go forward, upward, onward, and avoid stagnation @ cap level.   Not sure how to get there from where we are (in our current state of games/gaming technology), but there needs to be some innovation.

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

It's not that the game is too small, it's the fact that it feels too small within minutes of play. Every game has 'Truman Show walls' but you can create a tardis-like effect  with a little creative design and imagination so that it's not obvious. In Rift, I felt like a tiger in a zoo paddock waiting to smash my face against the glass at any point on autorun. 

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I'd have to agree with the sentiments expressed by those that say it's just more of the same.  With all the hype that had been released over Master Dungeons and Chronicles, I expected to see something really stupendous, but was sorely disappointed.

I was especially disappointed with the Hammerknell addition to Chronicles, hoping that I'd see a little further into the dungeon than my guild has seen in the raid version, but most of the instance is sealed off from prying eyes.  From the way this patch had been marketed, I expected that solo players with little time on thier hands and/or a small group of friends would be able to explore the Hammerknell content together, but it isn't even remotely the same.

This is beyond a third strike for TRION.  This build-up-the-hype about upcoming content only to come up short time and time again is seemingly TRION's Modus Operandi.  With the exception of the Planar Attunement system, which is a large feat for any MMO, everything else is more of the same.  The Planar Attunement system just gives some small percentage of purpose to the same boring grind that players encounter once they hit level 50.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I have said it before and I will say it again.  Rift is an awesome, well polished game and Trion is probably the most impressive developer that I have seen for pumping out new content and seeming like they actually care.

That being said, Rift clearly has a few issues that are holding it back.  Namely, it does seem like a small game without a huge amount of fluff.  Also, there isn't very much unique about it.  I have had the feeling since I started playing that I have already done all this exact same stuff before.

In my case that is alright, since I am killing time between quitting WoW and starting SWToR and Rift is a good place to hang out until I get my hands on my lightsaber.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

Originally posted by Raventree

I have said it before and I will say it again.  Rift is an awesome, well polished game and Trion is probably the most impressive developer that I have seen for pumping out new content and seeming like they actually care.

That being said, Rift clearly has a few issues that are holding it back.  Namely, it does seem like a small game without a huge amount of fluff.  Also, there isn't very much unique about it.  I have had the feeling since I started playing that I have already done all this exact same stuff before.

In my case that is alright, since I am killing time between quitting WoW and starting SWToR and Rift is a good place to hang out until I get my hands on my lightsaber.

I think you are confusing "new content and caring" with "losing personal identity of game vision by copy/pasting other's game features that the squabbling masses cry about" to maintain a decent sub base.  This terrible trend happened a month after release and still continues. 

There's listening to your playerbase while still maintaining vision, and there's reacting to your playerbase to appease the masses.  RIFT lost its vision a long time ago.

Originally posted by Telondariel

I think you are confusing "new content and caring" with "losing personal identity of game vision by copy/pasting other's game features that the squabbling masses cry about" to maintain a decent sub base.  This terrible trend happened a month after release and still continues. 

There's listening to your playerbase while still maintaining vision, and there's reacting to your playerbase to appease the masses.  RIFT lost its vision a long time ago.

That is an extremely negative way to view the work that Trion is doing.  I don't think that we, as players, really can state definitively that we know what Trion's vision was and is for the game.

If there is one thing that you can be sure of, it is that if you don't give the players what they want, they will find something else to play.  That being said, I don't think that means you give them EVERYTHING they ask for, obviously.  I think they are doing a very good job of it so far, but obviously we differ in opinion.

Also, let me just state that MMO developers are in business to make money.  If they don't do things to satisfy the masses then they lose subscriptions.  There are always those players that scream that the game isn't hardcore enough or it is too accessible to casuals.  If you want to make money, however, you need to appeal to the largest part of your subscriber base.

I agree that it would be nice if Trion could make Rift more unique instead of just adding a feature that other MMOs all seem to have and thus, homogenize the game even more.  A little unique innovation could go a long way.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC

That is an extremely negative way to view the work that Trion is doing.  I don't think that we, as players, really can state definitively that we know what Trion's vision was and is for the game.

Truth doesn't have to be pretty and smell of roses.

If there is one thing that you can be sure of, it is that if you don't give the players what they want, they will find something else to play.  That being said, I don't think that means you give them EVERYTHING they ask for, obviously.  I think they are doing a very good job of it so far, but obviously we differ in opinion.

Opinion suggests that it is simply a point of view.  I prefer to look at RIFT's history of updates in comparison to what the transplanted WoW kiddies kicked their heels in tantrums about to see a direct correlation.  RIFT shifted its focus to directly please this squabbling playerbase to keep their subs up, and their wallets full.

Also, let me just state that MMO developers are in business to make money.  If they don't do things to satisfy the masses then they lose subscriptions.  There are always those players that scream that the game isn't hardcore enough or it is too accessible to casuals.  If you want to make money, however, you need to appeal to the largest part of your subscriber base.

Yes, of course it is a business.  Of course its there to make money.  You can still do that and stick to your guns rather than being a whorish chameleon.

I agree that it would be nice if Trion could make Rift more unique instead of just adding a feature that other MMOs all seem to have and thus, homogenize the game even more.  A little unique innovation could go a long way.

And this is what I have been saying.  They are grafting on this, and that, and whatever else and they've completely lost sense of originality.  They are a patchwork clone with features that any number of games have done a whole lot better.

Truth doesn't have to be pretty and smell of roses.

Opinion suggests that it is simply a point of view.  I prefer to look at RIFT's history of updates in comparison to what the transplanted WoW kiddies kicked their heels in tantrums about to see a direct correlation.  RIFT shifted its focus to directly please this squabbling playerbase to keep their subs up, and their wallets full.

Yes, of course it is a business.  Of course its there to make money.  You can still do that and stick to your guns rather than being a whorish chameleon.

And this is what I have been saying.  They are grafting on this, and that, and whatever else and they've completely lost sense of originality.  They are a patchwork clone with features that any number of games have done a whole lot better.

Valid points.  I think maybe we differ more in attitude than opinion.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

Originally posted by Cryptor

Well, maybe it is..for you

It has tons of subscribers, so there are people who find it entertaining and a worthy place to spend their spare time and cash for a sub.  Even WoW has millions of subs.  Heck, even Runescape has a very good playerbase.   Every game caters to those that find it attractive.

I kind of look at it as a turd.  Even flies like a turd, but at the end of the day it is what it is.

the problem is people are always looking for the next best turd, or comparing it to the last best turd, for the fuk of it all...find a turd right for you and call it your own...because at the end of the day we are ALL flies looking for a turd and where you land that is YOUR turd.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

my favorite part was where the author got away with "i didnt check this content out myself, but i read on the forums....."

really?!?!?!?? are you cereal?  im so jelly mr. professional mmorpg writer.  for reals

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• daicraitdaicrait Member Posts: 2

I haven't played it myself, but two friends and my brother in law have. They've all said it's more indepth than WoW, and the graphics are better, but it's just not as good. My brother in law went back to WoW after a month, and my two friends started playing LoL instead.

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

Huge laggy raids, instanced bgs, tier armor sets, etc.

All this has been done a zillion times before.

Rift is the same game you've played years ago.