Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the game as it stands Today?

1235»

Comments

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

No worries, dude. Your tone gave you away a few posts ago. I nevertheless enjoyed this 'conversation' way more than the typical bulls!tting that's happening here. A nice mental exercise, if you will.

We'll just pretend I didn't notice you were baiting me and all go our merry way. Have a nice evening ;)

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by Naqaj

No worries, dude. Your tone gave you away a few posts ago. I nevertheless enjoyed this 'conversation' way more than the typical bulls!tting that's happening here. A nice mental exercise, if you will.

We'll just pretend I didn't notice you were baiting me and all go our merry way. Have a nice evening ;)

No I wasn't baiting you at all, it was just funny because you were mirroring the way the joke goes (although you actually improved it quite a bit, so I have to thank you for that).

The punchline is Chloroform.  We were talkign about chloroform the whole time... but anyways it wasn't baiting you.  It is what I'd reply anyways.  It just reminded me of it and I had to tell like 10 different people, and then post it on my linkshell forum before I could get it out of my head.

My last response was serious, he did mention just such a system in the live letter. 

"I hope you'll look forward to it" as Yoshida would say, lol.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by Murugan

The punchline is Chloroform. 

And you think I'm the one who needs to take a class on social interaction?

edit: I don't know why, but I feel the need to mention that I am joking lest we end up in an epic color wheel nested quote battle again.

Boys, play nice!

My last response was serious, he did mention just such a system in the live letter. 

Nah, I'm glad the game finally has a direction to move forward, but that direction is pretty much the opposite of where I would have wanted it to go, so I'll wish it a fond farewell and go looking for something else :)

Nah, I'm glad the game finally has a direction to move forward, but that direction is pretty much the opposite of where I would have wanted it to go, so I'll wish it a fond farewell and go looking for something else :)

Where would you have wanted it to go?

Bar joke, take 2? :)

I'll keep this broad, and possibly a bit ranty. I also fear we will no longer be friends :(

I think it would have been a better design had they been more mindfull of the PS3 as target plattform (and audience), and more daring in letting go of many of these overcome, stale PC-MMO design dogmas.

I think it's generally a better idea to make a PC game work well with a gamepad than make a PS3 game that requires a mouse/keyboard. I think the current solution really serves neither particularly well, but creates a ton of encumbering complexity in a place were it isn't conductive to the gameplay.

This would go hand in hand with a more fluid, dynamic combat system, where depth wouldn't rely on managing the cooldowns of two dozen abilities, but come from a small set of class-specific abilities that create depth by means of inter-class combos, thereby actively encouraging ad-hoc group play instead of relying on the exclusive mechanics of organized parties. This would have to be accompanied by a design that is less dependant on role limitations (quite possible with the Armoury, not so much with the new jobs). 

I think this would result in a gameplay that isn't as entrenched in a PC-MMO legacy, but much closer to the offline Final Fantasy experience, and ultimately more enjoyable. Currently, the game feels too much like a very conservative PC-MMO (now with chocobos!).

Bar joke, take 2? :)

I'll keep this broad, and possibly a bit ranty. I also fear we will no longer be friends :(

I think it would have been a better design had they been more mindfull of the PS3 as target plattform (and audience), and more daring in letting go of many of these overcome, stale PC-MMO design dogmas.

I think it's generally a better idea to make a PC game work well with a gamepad than make a PS3 game that requires a mouse/keyboard. I think the current solution really serves neither particularly well, but creates a ton of encumbering complexity in a place were it isn't conductive to the gameplay.

This would go hand in hand with a more fluid, dynamic combat system, where depth wouldn't rely on managing the cooldowns of two dozen abilities, but come from a small set of class-specific abilities that create depth by means of inter-class combos, thereby actively encouraging ad-hoc group play instead of relying on the exclusive mechanics of organized parties. This would have to be accompanied by a design that is less dependant on role limitations (quite possible with the Armoury, not so much with the new jobs). 

I think this would result in a gameplay that isn't as entrenched in a PC-MMO legacy, but much closer to the offline Final Fantasy experience, and ultimately more enjoyable. Currently, the game feels too much like a very conservative PC-MMO (now with chocobos!).

How do you chat without a PS3 keyboard.  I think it is just as PS friendly as XI and many, many people played XI on the PS2 using the PS keyboard to chat.  Some people play exclusively on gamepads now.

They are redesigning the Battle Regimen in part so it can be more flexible, even solaoble.  I disagree that they are taking a conservative approach, if you read about their plans it is definitely not the road most traveled.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Warsaurus

The game has been destroyed by the press and players for a terrible launch, and for some time after has gotten very negative reviews.  That said, I've heard that there have been patches, adjustments and still has a development team working on the game as well. People have said the UI is cluncky and un-intuitive. That the game runs poorly even on good systems and that the questing system and basic gameplay was bland and uninspired.

Having said that, all of those things are in the past.  As a player looking for a new MMO, I'm curious as to how the game is today.  Obviously a bad launch shouldn't be forgotten, but I also don't believe that it should forever taint a game into triviality or be common thought that a 'bad launch means a bad game.'

How is the gameplay? Is the combat interesting, fluid, and have a weight to it? Is the crafting system, and with it, the economy working as intended, or faltering*?  Does the world seem 'alive' and immersive? How is the end-game handled?  Is the community helpful, friendly? In short, does it have the basic features of an MMO, and implement them in a fun, and well thought out fashion?

Having not found a home in any MMO since WoW-BC, I've given some looks at FFXIV, but always dismissed it because of the poor reviews. But now, a long way from it's release, I'm starting to research it some more.  All I've found are early reviews, screaming at bugs, and performance, and under-developed ideals and systems.  But these are the things that an MMO can repair within the timespan of FFXIV's lifetime, and so I'm here asking if it has or not.

So, in wrap-up, how is FFXIV as a game, today? If you could only judge the game for what it is with this patch, with no prior knowledge of it's failures (Or successes if you want to be positive), how would you score the game? 

* The lack of AH in my opinion, is actually an interesting idea.  It adds some depth to the vendors and etc. I have no firsthand knowledge, just hearsay, however the lack of such a system doesn't strike me as a 'con' as much as a feature (for good or worse) that is intended in the gameplay.  As long as it IS working, and working as it is intended, I find it hard to bring it as a negative in itself.*

Don't waste your money.

• AilingforaleAilingforale Member Posts: 87

So Nagaj, you're looking for more of a skill chain type combo system as apposed to the "run away from the boss/reposition" system that Tera is going for?  Is that what you're getting at?

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

I have some questions if any of you don't mind answering them.

How's the current population?

Possible for this game to die anytime soon?

Do you feel immersed?

Is it an enjoyable experience?

Server recommendation? Why?

I am currently reinstalling.

Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV

Originally posted by Tidel

Do you feel immersed?

Current population is pretty healthy, more populated after the patch (which is adding onto a resurgence from 1.18).  Though it will depend on the server you land on Lindblum, Mysidia , Selbina (XI veteran), Cornelia (EU-English), Besaid (RP); seem to be the heaviest populated.  Saronia, Rabanstre, Bodhum, Palamacia, Melmond, Gyshal, Figaro, and Istory all have decent healthy populations as well.

I don't think it is possible for the game to die, Square Enix is pouring a great deal of resources into it still.  They did a live letter from the producer at the start of this month where they talked a lot about the future (despite saying they weren't going to), and the live letter slated for the end of the month is going to be talking about their long term plans.  They are only 50% through with their planned revamp of the game (in terms of fixes/content not necessarily time), and once that is complete they will launch the game on the PS3.  So I think it dying anytime soon would be a huge surprise. 

Square Enix has been nothing but supportive of the game since they admitted it didn't live up to expectations, they have hired new staff to work on the game, and even the CEO of the company has been on record supporting their efforts (including responding to critics who say the revamp progress is too slow by showing support for the current development team's efforts).

I feel more immersed after 1.19 with chocobo's, airships, the grand companies, Beastman strongholds, Ifrit etc.  It feels less like a random world and is starting to feel more like Final Fantasy or just a well put together gameworld.  After the map revamps are complete (they are completely overhauling all zones in the game) however is when we will really get that.

imageimageimageimageimageimage

I enjoy it, I can't tell you if you will enjoy it now.

I'd recommend Selbina if you like grouping.  It seems to be the most active grouping server most likely because it has a strong XI veteran population.  There are always groups forming in Selbina, the same is true for many other servers too; but I think Selbina is the place to be for group players.

If you don't like grouping.... somewhere else.  Maybe Besaid if you like Roleplaying?  Or lindblum/Mysidia both have a lot of English players I think (not as good of a community, but if you aren't going to be a part of it that shouldn't matter).

Yoshida said they are about 50% into their progress of revamping the game still, but it has improved quite a bit in my opinion.  I look forward to what this next 50% will bring.

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

Originally posted by Tidel

Do you feel immersed?

Current population is pretty healthy, more populated after the patch (which is adding onto a resurgence from 1.18).  Though it will depend on the server you land on Lindblum, Mysidia , Selbina (XI veteran), Cornelia (EU-English), Besaid (RP); seem to be the heaviest populated.  Saronia, Rabanstre, Bodhum, Palamacia, Melmond, Gyshal, Figaro, and Istory all have decent healthy populations as well.

I feel more immersed after 1.19 with chocobo's, airships, the grand companies, Beastman strongholds, Ifrit etc.  It feels less like a random world and is starting to feel more like Final Fantasy or just a well put together gameworld.  After the map revamps are complete (they are completely overhauling all zones in the game) however is when we will really get that.

imageimageimageimageimageimage

I enjoy it, I can't tell you if you will enjoy it now.

I'd recommend Selbina if you like grouping.  It seems to be the most active grouping server most likely because it has a strong XI veteran population.  There are always groups forming in Selbina, the same is true for many other servers too; but I think Selbina is the place to be for group players.

If you don't like grouping.... somewhere else.  Maybe Besaid if you like Roleplaying?  Or lindblum/Mysidia both have a lot of English players I think (not as good of a community, but if you aren't going to be a part of it that shouldn't matter).

Yoshida said they are about 50% into their progress of revamping the game still, but it has improved quite a bit in my opinion.  I look forward to what this next 50% will bring.

Thank you for the response. I am currently patching the game and then going to check it out.

Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV

How do you chat without a PS3 keyboard. [...]  Some people play exclusively on gamepads now.

Exactly my point. I'm one of them. It's not working too well.

And the game is very conservative. It may have been hard to notice while so much stuff was broken, but now, when everything finally is coming together, and the game actually works, it's apparent. I don't think it's the road less travelled, it's the road everyone was taking, but now has become deserted because most of the others have moved on.

Which is NOT a bad thing in itself! There obviously are people looking for a game like this. It's just not for me.

Originally posted by Ailingforale

So Nagaj, you're looking for more of a skill chain type combo system as apposed to the "run away from the boss/reposition" system that Tera is going for?  Is that what you're getting at?

No, not really. That has nothing to do with what I'm looking for. I don't even know how TERA plays into this, I've losely followed the development of that game, but ultimately wasn't interested.

• AilingforaleAilingforale Member Posts: 87

I was merely trying to draw a parrallel to something that I knew.  You made a comment on the combat tactics of the casters in ffxiv... or at least I thought you did, I can't find it now that I tried to look back and find it.  I was just wanting to to elaborate more is all.   I wasn't trying to bring in a different game here, but people build from what they know. 

I love ffxi personally, but for me I didn't like the lack of solo dynamic in that game.  Maybe I was just on the wrong server, but most of the ls's didn't make me want to join them.  They were either to crazy on the play a million hours or way to much drama and let's marry our characters.  I did  however get some somewhat decent, albiet slow, solo leveling with my thf/nin and my smn/whm ^^.