Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Day/night cycles

chillwillzchillwillz Member Posts: 6

Just a quick question.  For whatever strange reason in my brain, I like playing games that have day/night cycles of some kind actually one of the bigger reasons I left WoW was the constant twilight.  Sooo does it ever turn night time?  From the begining area it is difficult to tell as there is no clear sky.

Comments

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

Wow has 24 hour day/night cycles, and Rift has about 7 hour day/night cycles. If you are someone that plays at the same time most of the time, you probably won't notice the change in Rift just as you didn't in wow, because it's dark and light at the same times during the day.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I think Day/Night cycles in games only matter when it actually changes up the experience, rather than just adjusting the lighting & backdrop, which is what Rift does. I think Guild Wars 2 is actually a good example; where at night you can get special events like ghost haunting a cemetery or even have certain weapons change their attributes.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Master10K

I think Day/Night cycles in games only matter when it actually changes up the experience, rather than just adjusting the lighting & backdrop, which is what Rift does. 

It's great for immersion. Might not mean much to you, but some of us really appreciate it :)

And contrary to what you assert, it does change up the experience. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

I think Day/Night cycles in games only matter when it actually changes up the experience, rather than just adjusting the lighting & backdrop, which is what Rift does. I think Guild Wars 2 is actually a good example; where at night you can get special events like ghost haunting a cemetery or even have certain weapons change their attributes.

"I think Day/Night cycles in games only matter when it actually changes up the experience, rather than just adjusting the lighting & backdrop, which is what Rift does."

Oops!  Played the game at all?  There are definitely things that change "in the dark".

Try getting title "The Undertaker" during "the day"...

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by TwystedWiz

"I think Day/Night cycles in games only matter when it actually changes up the experience, rather than just adjusting the lighting & backdrop, which is what Rift does."

Oops!  Played the game at all?  There are definitely things that change "in the dark".

Try getting title "The Undertaker" during "the day"...

Of course I've played the game. Got 3 level 50s and will get my 4th to max, when I decide to sub up again. However I barely noticed any changs in the day/night cycle, because it was barely even noticable, let alone any actual changes to my gameplay experience. I think there was one short questline in Gloamwoods (might be what you're getting at) with a night theme, but that's the problem right there. I'm not even sure if it day/night cycle effected it or not, because it's barely noticable.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

No one did day/night cycles like EQ back in the day. A nightime stroll through Kithicor Forest anyone?

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by chillwillz

Sooo does it ever turn night time? 

Nope, it does not. There are places like Gwood where it's "night" or gloomy, but it doesn't really "change" unless you go to certain spots, but it's by no means a day/night cycle.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by Vonatar

No one did day/night cycles like EQ back in the day. A nightime stroll through Kithicor Forest anyone?

I hear that. Strike fear into your heart that place did at night.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."