Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confirmed.. Trion Worlds boss Lars Buttler reveals second mmo releasing before SWTOR.

popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Trion: Rift is “most significant competitor” WoW’s ever had, excited to see SWTOR

While the title of the thread and the title of the link seem misleading, you only have to read what's in the article to find out what was said:

Lars Butler, Trion head/PC interview:

“I’m actually extremely excited about what’s happening in our space. When we started five years ago, there was only WoW. Now there’s Rift as an absolute serious contender, with the most dynamic gameplay ever.

Then there’s Star Wars, then there’s End of Nations coming. Then there’s Defiance coming ahead of Star Wars. So we’re not afraid at all. We actually look forward to it with great excitement. It makes our point.”

Notice the quote marks. That was a direct quote from Butler, not something the reporter thinks. So given that, it must not be a "slip" since we already know SWTOR is releasing on Dec 22.

The only other question is Defiance considered a "mmo" by standards and Trion claims it is in the past.

So there you have it: Trion will be releasing Defiance before December 22. I expect to have an announcement on that shortly from them.

note: reposted due to not sure which category: General discussion or Defiance forums

Comments

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

WoW Had 'No Competition' for 7 Years, Rift 'Most Serious Competitor They Ever Had'

After more investigating, the PC Gamer article leaves out one key piece of info from the article it references which could make readers believe what I posted was true (as I thought)..

This is the original statement by the Trion exec in Industry Gaming:

Industry Gaming:

"Then there’s Star Wars, then there’s End of Nations coming. Then there’s Defiance coming, which was MMORPG’s MMO of E3, ahead of Star Wars."

This is the way PC Gamer chose to write up the same statement:

PC Gamer:

"Then there’s Star Wars, then there’s End of Nations coming. Then there’s Defiance coming ahead of Star Wars. So we’re not afraid at all."

Crappy reporting by PC Gamer so apologize for the thread.

• CarnifexRexCarnifexRex Member Posts: 52

I commend you for correcting your post and not spreading disinformation.

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

I have not heard anything about Defiance since like 6 months ago or more? Why is that even a point in his interview? As a matter of fact when I read games that people are listing as ones they are waiting for, or the next gen mmo or the ones that will kill WoW Defiance hasn't even come up?

I will agree Rift has its place in the MMO industry for now... But anyone one of the major titles coming out SW:TOR or GW2 could realistically change the mmo scene anyone to think otherwise is nieve, its like those years when the US basketball team wrote off all those other teams in the Olympics because they were the best no matter what... Well lets just say there were several Olympics where the USA put up sub-par results. Any game has a chance to be a contendor especially the ones with money to do so EA/Bioware SW:TOR and a company with a pretty succesful track record Arenanet/GW2.

Thats just my opinion. Again, Defiance what? Slated for 2012 and being pushed out before SW:TOR seems like TRION is a little worried and about to release a possibly unpolished game would could be a mark on TRION's track record after releasing a decently polished game in rifts (one of the qualities that allowed its initial success).

imageimage

• CopenhagenCopenhagen Member UncommonPosts: 57

Defiance will not be released until probably Q3 2012 or later.

That was obviously a misprint by PC Gamer, or where ever it came from, as the OP already stated.

Furthermore, when Defiance does release, it's not going to be the top game on the block.  It could most likely do very well.  But I don't see it putting up any real competition to the games coming out in the next year.

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171

I lol at this thread.

So much for star wars.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by evemaster00

I lol at this thread.

So much for star wars.

Indeed... a sad tale of what COULD have been, but wasn't, cuz the WRONG people were involved and made way too many crap decisions and thus earned the nickname TORTANIC not because it was a massive achievement, but because it was a massive beast that was steered to a head on collision with an iceberg made up of all the crap decisions which enevitably sank it.  And for those still playing, sorry, yeah, it has sunk. It is simply not even close to what EA/BioWare wanted.

As for DEFIANCE, I'm glad it didn't get rushed out before SWTOR.  Trion is a very capable company and I think they'll deliver a much stronger game than SWTOR will ever be... SWTOR only had the advantage of Star Wars fans... who have been disappointed once again.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.