Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim or Dark Souls?

13»

Comments

• LowFlyingHamLowFlyingHam Member Posts: 98

Both!  I can't pick one over the other right now.  I recently got interested in Dark Souls and will be picking it up today whereas Skyrim was a 'do want' since its announcement.  I like difficult games... but I like fair difficulty.  Ninja Gaiden on the XBOX personified this for the most part, at least on anything but the highest difficulty.  Unfair difficulty(from the same game and its sequel on the hardest difficulties) is crap like projectiles being spammed at you from off-screen to the point where you spend more time dodging than actually hitting anything because there's just so much of it flying at you and you can't see it coming.  Megaman games are also good examples of fair challenge.  Hopefully the difficulty in Dark Souls is of the 'fair' category.

If I had to pick one it would have to be Skyrim just by anticipation, and I'm a PC gamer at heart now so just the platform itself is a factor.  I don't play many console games anymore but Dark Souls is one I will pick up.  I'll be picking up Forza 4, the new Ace Combat and WWE '12 later this year.  I love the fall, busy time of year.

Now Playing: Mission Against Terror, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Dark Souls, League of Legends, Minecraft, and the piano. =3

Visit my fail Youtube channel(don't leave me nasty messages!): http://www.youtube.com/user/Mirii471

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Hmm, Skyrim is available for the PC. Dark Souls is... not!? SHAME ON YOU NAMCO!

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Tried dark souls, and its garbage, your better off playing RAGE instead, Skyrim will be awesome when it comes out.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Skyrim all the way. Can't wait... Right now I am currently playing Rage until then.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

Dark Souls... then Elder Scrolls as they're about a month apart.

I'm hoping Dark Souls is as good as Demon Souls!

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• dale25phdale25ph Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by minocin

Dark Souls have it! played it! Two thumbs up of a game. Never regret of buying and playing it.

• thepoptartthepoptart Member Posts: 61

Eh, wrong topic.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Originally posted by minocin

It's better I think :) Loved Demon's Souls, but Dark Souls is improved in everyway!

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Finally got a chance to acquire Dark Souls.  I'm still at the early stages with the Taurus Demon, getting my a** raped.  But the game itself is still as dangerous and engrossing as Demon's Souls.  Just like Demon's Souls, my very first toon is a Knight, getting a feel of the game.  Right now I rerolled with the barebones, destitute class with literally rags on herself and a wooden club, nothing more.  I got a better grasp of combat again.

The game is punishing.  Headlong charges without any forethought will get you killed in terrible fashion.  This is one of those few games, esp. on the consoles, that you need to have a good degree of caution.  When you start getting that sense of "I can beat the crap out of everything here" then you need to reign in it some, because you're one step away from a nasty death.

Just in the Taurus Demon's zones, I've died a bajillion times, some catastrophically losing my huge stack of souls / currency because I died again before recovering it.  But I enjoyed the challenge of learning new things, finding little tricks to defeat the enemy more efficiently, more safely.  From what I've seen all forms of combat are viable.  Range, melee, there's enough times where I was wishing, man, I wish I had some offensive magic here instead of having to close in with a spear or sword, shield.  There's times where the heavy armor and weapons of a melee'er is what's keeping you alive, especially after surprises. That shield is what's keeping you from a nasty death due to another poorly thought out plan or just terrible luck.

It's a game that rewards caution and exploration, and properly executed violence at the same time.  There is no quick save or reload from the last, and have another go at the boss with no repurcussions from any failures.  Every time you leave the safety of the bonfires / camp, you better have your sh*t straight.  Every.  Single.  Time.

Dark Souls is also a bit like gambling.  You better know when to cash out if the going's good image

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Skyrim its way better game and Dark souls is a console game i dont have, dont play.

Ive read and see some video Dark soul is totally different kind of game i realy dont understand the comparison or why choose between pc game en a console only game.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by forest-nl

Skyrim its way better game and Dark souls is a console game i dont have, dont play.

Ive read and see some video Dark soul is totally different kind of game i realy dont understand the comparison or why choose between pc game en a console only game.

Fun isn't platform specific.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by forest-nl

Skyrim / TES and Dark Souls & Demon Souls are totally different themes.  TES settings are fairly familiar fantasy.  Dark / Demon Souls' game worlds are much darker, reminds me of the dark, gothic feel of Diablo 1 & 2, but not as much blood strewn across the walls.

The gameplay is very, very different though.

Personally, I think comparing Skyrim and Dark Souls is like comparing an apple to an orange.  But I have Dark Souls and its an outstanding game.  And I really, really wish it got a proper PC version, because it can look fantastic with the power of a PC and a mod community behind it.  Skyrim?  I have that preordered anyways.  I've owned and played Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, as well as all their associated expansion packs.  If Bethesda can make the game world in Skyrim as immersive as it did in Morrowind, it'll be a true RPG classic.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)