Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Game Shifting to Action MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a new report at PCIGN, Cryptic Studios and new owner Perfect World Entertainment are shifting the way that Neverwinter will be played.

When it was originally announced, Neverwinter was scheduled to be a cooperative multiplayer RPG but that focus has shifted to more of an action MMO under the auspices of PWE. The game is being developed specifically for the Western market and as a "free to play from the start" MMO.

According to the article, there are strong indications that the game will be similar to Nexon's Vindictus and PWE's Rusty Hearts, that battles will be 'session-based'. Keep in mind that this is PCIGN's speculation and, as yet, nothing along these lines has been officially confirmed even though the writer spoke to someone on the development team.

Neverwinter is being developed on a modified game engine used on Cryptic's other two major titles, Star Trek Online and Champions Online. No specific release date has been announced other than to say "late 2012".

Read the full article at the link above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

What scares me about this title is the fact that it is being made on the same engine as the other two Cryptic games that disappointed me I'm not a real tech saavy individual but I have to wonder if that engine is the problem.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

I don't really see how D&D and action mmo really fit together. Dear Cryptic, please stop messing up good IP's. Seriously. 

Make it so...

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

/doublefacepalm

Like we didn't see this one coming.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

They really are kind of emerging as the Uwe Boll of the video game industry aren't they?

They squander one good IP after another... And yet they just keep being given more.

They must have one hell of a sales pitch.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Ah, Cryptic. You are the Snidely Wiplash of the MMO genre, sneering grandly and waxing your handlebar moustache with but two oily fingers as you tie a respected and deserving Nell Fenwick to the traintracks.

There was no Dudley Do-Right to save Star Trek. There shall be none to save Neverwinter. May you and Mythic's DIck Dastardly, with his erstwhile victim Warhammer IP, continue to be the champions of the shallow and inane, for without villains we'd see no heroes.

But, seriously, stop it.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Well was not expecting anything from Cryptic and their new PWE overlords.

Will be just another Action F2P MMO , bit of a shame that on D&D IP , which don't fit at all with 'action mmo' , but well meh.

Really they're kinda like Uwe Boll lol.

/not interested

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by fenistil

Will be just another Action F2P MMO , bit of a shame that on D&D IP , which don't fit at all with 'action mmo' , but well meh.

/not interested

Uh, how exaclty does it not fit as an action mmo? theres no good reason why DnD doesnt fit as an action mmo.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Hopefully after this flop cryptic studies would just disappear for ever.

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259
    "...session based."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Excitement has died.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

When I think of Cryptic, the following entities come to mind: Bank of America, Chase, Enron, Politicians, The Federal Reserve, and Pawn Stars.

They offer very little and ask for much.

Just an example:

Cryptic combining monthly fees with massive cash-shop incentive, e.g., enticing players to purchase a $250 - $300 lifetime subscription (that must have been purchased before the game launched) in order to be able to play as a Borg character - one of the most well known species in the entire franchise. Moreover, they made players pay via cash-shop for the ability to be a Federation Klingon - another iconic entity within the genre.

I spoke out against Cryptic during the pre-launch on their forums. I was scolded by blind fanboys. They pay for their "rare" incentives. The game launches. It's a disaster. People cry. People slam the game.

Cryptic is all about Nicken & Diming

I will never give them my dollar.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Thats a shame, game sounds awful

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by warmaster670

/not interested

Uh, how exaclty does it not fit as an action mmo? theres no good reason why DnD doesnt fit as an action mmo.

Though not a continuation of the Neverwinter Nights franchise, I would like to think that cryptic is definetly trying to bum off of it's success. As such, since those games were very tactical and based off of, you guessed it, D&D it's self, which is a turn based board game, I see no reason at all for it to be action based.

Make it so...

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Precisely zero interest in this due to the PWE AND Cryptic being involved. One of my favorite franchises ruined yet again.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

/not interested

it's akin to what you might imagine the world being like if Milton Bradley bought DnD before it was released and made a Shoots and Ladders spinoff out of it. The gameplay is not traditionally about log in ... mash face against buttons .. log out. DnD is a communal game you play usually with a group of specific friends that creates and furthers relationships .. which is the complete opposite of everything the NWO of gaming and this F2P action MMO movement is all about.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Just how the hell did cryptic get the rights to use Neverwinter?

• Cryptic isn't that bad, really. a couple of mistakes from a young company (One mistake not entirely their fault.  Startrek they had a very very limited deadline on and it's become a great deal better).  Uwe Boll on the other hand is much more akin to Soe.  Cryptic just needs to find what they do right. the engine is good they're just not utilizing it well with their 'normal' MMOs.  & tbh Star Trek Online has the best space bombat I've ever played,  much more fun than the sit and do nothing EvE or trhe frantic black profecy (opinion of course)  and no I'm not a cryptic fanboy, my favorite company happens to be Square Enix; first and favorite MMO= FFXI... too bad about ffxiv, but that's something for another time.

• zunstreezunstree Member UncommonPosts: 129

Aww, so no turn-based?

I thought 4th edition would translate well to a turn based game (Like the one on facebook, except thats fairly barebones and has rule changes). But action based means to me itll be like a clone of Vindictus or maybe DDO.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by WSIMike

They really are kind of emerging as the Uwe Boll of the video game industry aren't they?

They squander one good IP after another... And yet they just keep being given more.

They must have one hell of a sales pitch.

Comparing Cryptic to Uwe Boll is just too harsh.

Poor Uwe Boll.

• KualaBDKualaBD Member UncommonPosts: 131

Something many people here seem to be forgetting, or maybe didn't even know, is that Turbine holds the rights,by contract with Wizards of the Coast, to have the only D&D based MMO.  When Atari/Cryptic fist started Neverwinter they were planning on it being an MMO.  When WotC and Turbine sued Atari it was re-inforced that Neverwinter could NOT be an MMO.

I'm sure this change in gameplay style is in part a direct result of Atari's/Cryptic's settlement.  They have to prove their new game is not an MMO, and considering how many people, industry professionals and players alike, kept thinking it WAS one, this change should make the distincions a lot clearer.  A session-based multiplayer game, sure, but an MMO it can NOT be...or else the legal problems return.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

Same engine again? Really? image

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

/not interested

Maybe because DnD is an RPG not "action" anything? Just a guess.

Anyway, this announcement has effectively told me that the game will be crap. I played Rusty Hearts (it's free to play on Steam) and it was a really terrible game so if Neverwinter is going to "be like Rusty Hearts," then it will be crap.

• harbglarb1harbglarb1 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Originally posted by Karse

Cryptic isn't that bad, really. a couple of mistakes from a young company (One mistake not entirely their fault.  Startrek they had a very very limited deadline on and it's become a great deal better).  Uwe Boll on the other hand is much more akin to Soe.  Cryptic just needs to find what they do right. the engine is good they're just not utilizing it well with their 'normal' MMOs.  & tbh Star Trek Online has the best space bombat I've ever played,  much more fun than the sit and do nothing EvE or trhe frantic black profecy (opinion of course)  and no I'm not a cryptic fanboy, my favorite company happens to be Square Enix; first and favorite MMO= FFXI... too bad about ffxiv, but that's something for another time.

You're right, a majority of the blame actually falls on Bill ropers "we can push a game out in a year and a half and make loads of cash" head, but he's not even involved with the company anymore, And i actually think that's why there's been so much improvement in the company since he left, better communication, more content, new hires to work on CO instead of star trek... (finally) the list can go on, but Cryptic really isn't a bad company in itself their lead developer and the company that owned them had a crappy design philosophy.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Was eagerly anticipating the game prior to this announcement.

Now, not so much.

• AnaximAnaxim Member UncommonPosts: 14

I did not have the composure to read most of the previous comments.

My opinion boils down to: WHY?! I wanted another proper D&D PC game, especially with the extremely befitting 4e rules.

Gorram.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Anaxim

I did not have the composure to read most of the previous comments.

My opinion boils down to: WHY?! I wanted another proper D&D PC game, especially with the extremely befitting 4e rules.

Gorram.

I'm starting to doubt if we will ever see another true to form D&D PC game ever again, tbh.

The last decade hasn't exactly been kind to the IP when it comes to PC gaming.