Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Is the World Ready for a Mass Effect MMO?

Comments

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Yes the World is ready.

The question is..... are they ready to deliver a great MMO ? and not a wow-clone?

Maybe after Guild Wars 2 is released many will learn how to ;)

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

Nope, not until the same graphics and game tachnologies can be converted into a mmo

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by Z3R01

I think A ME mmo would be great.

Massive Universe to play in.

Third person cover based combat of ME2.

Deeper RPG elements than ME1.

A little crafting.

I would set the party size to four and make the only large scale content as open world type invasion style content (no Raids!).

Kind of like a war simiulation.

Also I would make it Pve only. 

So you're version of a Mass Effect MMO would be just Mass Effect 3 with maybe jump in multiplayer campaign?

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Are we ready for a well made Sci FI mmo?

YES.

Originally posted by Precusor

YES.

Does EVE not exist any more? lol

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by Halo-Bump

Originally posted by Precusor

YES.

Does EVE not exist any more? lol

He said "well made"  whatever you want to call EVE noone in their right mind could call it well made.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

It's doing well so far. :P

• luisfutluisfut Member Posts: 1

I would rather see a trilogy of Mass Effect Movies than a Mass Effect MMO. No not ready!! Better make the movies rather than the MMO. The guy from clash of titans could be a good Shepard.

Regards

• Goel1Goel1 Member Posts: 3

Why do they have to use a game with a good story, i mean they allready did it in SW:TOR, so why the hell cant they just leave som of their stories to the good old RPG formula which doesn't suck ass?

Its like a MMORPG is just an excuse to say "hey guys we made these 3 single player games, so how about we make an MMORPG which will suck ass, and yet you will still play it for 4 months, and have the subscription running for another quarter after that, just because you feel some sort of nostalgia while playing the MMORPG"

• ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564

I rather get Mass Effect RPG than MMO to be honest.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

No... just no. Some things don't belong in an MMo. While I will admit, I dislike Mass Effect (yes yes start hating me, I can't help I don't like the game at all) as it is rpg style, an mmo really wouldn't be worth wild. The thing is saying you want a 'mass effect' mmo really is just saying if you want another 'space themed' mmo. Mass effect doesn't truthfully add anything new to the genre. Sure space mmos aren't as numberous as fantasy, but there are many that exist, and mass effect would not be pushing any boundries adding itself as one.

Turn mass effect into an MMO pretty much kills the part that makes Mass Effect a good thing, the story.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

masseffect 1 would make a good base for a nice mmo.. not the masseffect2 and 3 and w/e crap they made up after the first one.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

They already have SWToR, I doubt Bioware will compete with themselves with another sci-fi mmo. I know a lot of people say swtor is as fantasy as sci-fi and I share that opinion and even If I will play a mass effect mmo I really doubt they will make it becouse of swtor.

• AuroretteAurorette Member Posts: 9

No but I would be fine with a Dragon Age MMO

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Not sure about the 'world' and I pretty much don't care whether 'the world' is ready or not.

My WALLET however is! 

GIMMIE! :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I think the Mass Effect universe would work very well for a MMO, but it couldn't be a "Bioware Game" as in it couldn't focus on epic story and characters etc. like they are doing with The Old Republic.

What would it be? Everyone is a Spectre now yay! Go do missions! Nope. No thanks.

It'd have to be huge on the MMO part and light on the RPG part and I just don't see Bioware (or anyone else) releasing such a game, ever.

Sad really as it really is an amazing sci-fi universe which is grounded in plausible science/tech.

ME was built to be a 3 part epic. Leave it at that IMO.

• SketchSketch Member UncommonPosts: 337

I LOVE Mass Effect, and the idea of an MMO is awesome since the games has a really well developed and established universe of events to play off of. However the driving force that makes the Mass Effect games so amazing and makes us want to replay every scenario is the story and story telling. The voice actors and animation bring depth and interest to the charaters and world, and I just don't see how that could translate into an MMO. Without having that it wouldn't feel the same, and could possibly hurt the franchise.

But if they could pull it off, hell yea I'd play.

• MajDogMeatMajDogMeat Member UncommonPosts: 17

They need to stick to making ME3.

Any problem can be solved, with the Proper Amount of High Explosives.....
    Don’t take life serious, you’ll never get out alive…..

• ErrtuErrtu Member Posts: 5

If they would make ME-MMO; Hellgate style, with story, space ships, stations etc.. HELL YEA, i would throw my money to Bioware : p

DO EET!  :)

• shaq1345shaq1345 Member Posts: 1

I think It would be interesting to play

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by BadSpock

I think the Mass Effect universe would work very well for a MMO, but it couldn't be a "Bioware Game" as in it couldn't focus on epic story and characters etc. like they are doing with The Old Republic.

What would it be? Everyone is a Spectre now yay! Go do missions! Nope. No thanks.

It'd have to be huge on the MMO part and light on the RPG part and I just don't see Bioware (or anyone else) releasing such a game, ever.

Sad really as it really is an amazing sci-fi universe which is grounded in plausible science/tech.

ME was built to be a 3 part epic. Leave it at that IMO.

BW is on record as having said that Mass Effect doesn't begin and end with Commander Shepard that's just the first story we were given out of the universe.  On the one hand I can understand many of you mmorpg players don't want story nor do you want RPG in your mmorpg's but how does that translate into no one wants that?

I for one have no problem looking at mmorpg's in the exact same way that I view offline video games which means for a player like myself story will never grow old therefore there is no reason imo it shouldn't or couldn't be done.

BW isn't going to abandon what they are good at just because the masses over at mmorpg.com feels like they are better off doing that if there is going to be a mass effect mmorpg it will be developed on the same principles that BW has built every game they've ever made and I'm on record as saying it will be as successful as every other game they've made to this point.

I mean look at the throngs of TOR haters has that stopped the buzz around that game at all?Has it effected the fact that the game will likely break sales records?

The only thing mmorpg has proven to me is that the rank and file on this site have no clue on what makes an mmorpg a success if they did WOW wouldn't have more players than all of the most loved games on this site combined.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

I am huge fan of Bioware games, I can't see an ME mmo anytime soon because of the release of TOR,  after 5 years development time, and the luster has worn off of TOR, I can see it, I am huge Star Wars fan, I would be pulled in two directions, and really competeing against yourself may not be the best business plan for long term profits.  I am not 100% sold on the ME universe making a good mmo, not every good game out there needs to have an mmo counterpart, I would like to see them continue the franchise with new releases and DLC, just my own personal idea, but if they did make a ME mmo I would play it..:)  I am up for a good SCfi mmo, I am so burned out on sword and board fantasy, I could hurl on the next orc..LOL

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Im a big fan but i dont think it would work.

If they make it into a MMORPG i would stop playing the single player because it would just be wierd to play both.

UNLESS they use ME world but without the Shepard-Reapers story line, if so i would consider playing but i still say it would be wierd to have both games.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

I really like the IP of Mass Effect but to turn it into a MMO would be a bad idea. You wouldn't be able to have its timeline during the events of the Reapers or it will only live for a limited time and your stuck with the over all storyarc of the single player games.

Also no MMO that I have played has managed to pull off ranged combat to a good level of enjoyment. The only one that came close was Tabula Rasa but that died a death due to a lack of flexibility within the game and variety.

Personaly I am waiting for the Firefly MMO, Inifinty MMO , Dust 514, The Secret World. Kind of loosing intrest in SW:TOR now.

• The_TWFThe_TWF Member Posts: 3

Any amount of care I gave about the IP was destroyed by the trainwreck that is Mass Effect 2. And they've pretty much flat out said that ME3 will be more of the same, practically bragging about how it will be accesable to new players of the franchise WHICH IS WHAT THEY ALREADY DID WITH ME2. So they flipped off the fans of ME1 to get ME2's fanbase and now they're flipping the new players off because the numbers just weren't Xbox hueg enough. And yeah, designing the final chapter of Shepard's saga around new players... because that's how trilogies work!

Screw Mass Effect. They can go ahead and bleed it to death.