Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to improve pvp?

I have a couple of problems with pvp in MMO's, namely that it tends to be designed around 1v1 balance: 

-  Balancing a game in this way tends to homogenize builds and skills.

-  The ludicrously high stats offered by the equipment grind (or on twinks) makes this effort to balance classes obsolete amongst more casual players.

-  A lot of pvp is generally designed around small teams which necessitates this balance.  Whatever happened to world pvp or large scale battles?

I don't know if this has been discussed but my solution would simply be a scissors, paper, stone system of classes, where scissor classes have an advantage against paper classes, but a disadvantage against stone classes, and so on for paper and stone.  This would require greater skill, teamwork and tactics in pvp.     

The only MMO that seems to come close to that is WoT where you have light/ medium tanks, heavie tanks and tank killers/ artillary, which have a similar scissor, paper, stone set up.  I think this system could easily be introduced in many other MMO genres.

Any thoughts?  

Comments

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

its not the 1v1 aspect of pvping ..its not even the people complaining about its all about gear..

its about how every game made now seems to think you HAVE to have some kinda of arena for pvp or a "you can only pvp in this area"..pvp in mmos are  / were all about defending your land / castles or towns and certain areas where lower people could lvl ...that is whats wronge with pvp..every company / devs go with the same copy / paste mode of warcraft thinking they can score a quick buck

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Hmm, 'rock, paper, scissors' seems to be pretty much standard, does it not?

Trouble is, it DOESN'T WORK unless you can guarantee to be always grouped, and more so, grouped with the right combination of classes.

What happens when you're alone (as many people often find themselves) ? You may as well just /sit when your nemesis comes along, despite your superior PvP skills and tactics.

Rock, paper, scissors will ALWAYS have people complaining about balance.

IMO every class should be viable against any other, and every ability should have a counter. It should be about skill and using your abilities at the right time.

• kjGrrant0634kjGrrant0634 Member Posts: 1

Greetings, my name is  kj Grrant Most recently from Nebraska, originally from Lincoln and have lived there most of my life.

I  have a great free time,I prefer all 4 seasons , specially the winter and snow!

Networking has been a part of my life for the last 7 years and most recently primarily on the Internet. 

I love to learn new things. 

With the economy as tough as it is right now, more and more people are seeking guidance from people who have walked the walk and can teach others how to benefit from what they went through. I am here to help those that need help and will ask for help from other people when i need it.

I am a retired manager in the field of  Engineering and Scientific time management.

I am sharing  my websites , <a href="http://davaobusinessfinder.com">Davao business directory</a>  <a href="http://davaobusinessfinder.com">Davao directory</a>  <a href="http://davaobusinessfinder.com">Davao Busines Finder</a>

I love to ask questions

when possible I volunteer for for valid causes that help the environment.

I am to be a part of this site and hope I can help.

• bettybleassbettybleass Member Posts: 2

Well, pvp needs an overhaul, so this thread is intended to collect together all the good idea's, aimed at improving pvp. I think class balance should be handled in a separate thread, as it could confuse matters, leaving this thread for battlegrounds, arenas and world pvp including tol barad ect. Post links to posts with good idea's, or post idea directly here. Please, no get rid of x BG posts, instead think of ways to make that BG better. Remember, you can 'like' or 'dislike' posts, so that could lead to finding the idea's that most think will work, no need to QQ a post ;). Vote based on the idea put forward, rather than writing skill (or this would get a thousand dislikes and don't be scared to edit and improve existing ideas, just credit the original poster)

I'll edit this post to include links to top rated posts, to try and highlight the best ones for attention. When a player enters a battleground for the first time a popup will appear in his screen explaining him the basics of the battleground objectives. They MUST go through all of these steps before closing the window. !!OR!! Some kind of 'tips and tricks', just like when you create a new character and the UI explains you what your mana/energy/rage bar is and what a quest giver is etc etc