Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$1400 PC Build Help

jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

This will be my last thread like this I promise because I'm actually at this very moment ready to place my order on newegg. (I previously made a thread like this with a 1,000 budget).

I was hoping someone could  help me pick out all the parts I need from newegg.com to build a decent gaming rig. Including a monitor and windows 7 OS. I also prefer nVidia, thats the only "must" for me. As for intel or amd processors, it doesn't matter much to me. I can go a little over 1400 (1500 max). Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

CPU: Sandy Bridge 2600K 3.4ghz

MB: EVGA 1155 Intel P67

Case: Antec 1200

GPU: EVGA GTX 580

PSU: Antec 750w 80 Plus Bronze 'Modular'

RAM: A-DATA 8GB {2x4gb} DDR3 1600

HDD: Hitachi 1TB

DVD: ASUS 24x

Audio: Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio 7.1

Heatsink: Thermaltake SpinQ

This was a high-end build from a few months ago for a friend and costs about $1600, {you'll still need a monitor and Win7} but you can tweak some of the parts to save some money.  Instead of the GTX 580, go with the GTX 570 or 560Ti and/or go for the sandy bridge 2500 instead of the 2600K as-well-as a cheaper MB.  You could also remove the audio card if onboard is good enough, and the custom CPU cooler and even a cheaper case if ya want..

Its a place to start, and an excellent build for the price, that will easily last you a solid 3+ years before you'd need to consider an upgrade.

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

best advice is to wait for a "quizzy post"  he'll have the system listed within like $10 of your budget:D   latest and greatest including discounts and rebates:D

what he's gonna ask you is are there any existing parts you wont need? like gaming mouse/keyboard, etc...

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

?

Update

?

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Model #:

BX80623I52500K

Item #:

N82E16819115072

Return Policy:

CPU Replacement Only Return Policy In Stock

Note (Add)

$219.99

?

$219.99

?

Update

?

GIGABYTE GA-Z68P-DS3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

Model #:

GA-Z68P-DS3

Item #:

N82E16813128520

Return Policy:

Standard Return Policy In Stock

Note (Add)

$114.99

-$25.00 Instant

$89.99

?

Update

?

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Model #:

GFC-02050

Item #:

N82E16832116986

Return Policy:

Software Standard Return Policy In Stock

Note (Add)

$99.99

?

$99.99

?

Update

?

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Model #:

AGT3-25SAT3-120G

Item #:

N82E16820227726

Return Policy:

Limited Replacement Only Return Policy In Stock Mail in Rebate Card

Note (Add)

$279.99

-$101.00 Instant

$178.99

?

Update

?

MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...

Model #:

N570GTX TF II OC

Item #:

N82E16814127564

Return Policy:

VGA Standard Return Policy In Stock Mail in Rebate Card

Note (Add)

$349.99

?

$349.99

?

Update

?

Asus VE248H Black 24" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers

Model #:

VE248H

Item #:

N82E16824236102

Return Policy:

Monitor Standard Return Policy In Stock

Note (Add)

$249.99

-$50.00 Instant

$199.99

?

Update

?

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXM

Model #:

F3-12800CL9D-8GBXM

Item #:

N82E16820231477

Return Policy:

Memory Standard Return Policy In Stock

Note (Add)

$59.99

?

$59.99

?

Update

?

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Model #:

Three Hundred Illusi

Item #:

N82E16811129066

Return Policy:

Limited Replacement Only Return Policy In Stock

Note (Add)

$69.99

?

$69.99

?

Update

?

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Model #:

WD5002AALX

Item #:

N82E16822136795

Return Policy:

Note (Add)

$64.99

-$5.00 Instant

$59.99

?

Update

?

SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Model #:

S12II 520 Bronze

Item #:

N82E16817151094

Return Policy:

Note (Add)

$84.99

-$20.00 Instant

$64.99

?

Update

?

XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included I7 i5 775 1155 AMD and dual fan push pull compatible

Model #:

LOKI SD963

Item #:

N82E16835233081

Return Policy:

Note (Add)

$28.99

?

$28.99

Subtotal:

?

?

?

?

?

$1,422.89

Update19-115-072

</cke:body></cke:body></cke:body></body>

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Cool thanks everyone.

@WaldoCorn would 520 watts be enough?

@psyclum lol, yeah, he's very thorough. I need pretty much everything except for a mouse I have logitech gaming mouse. I'll likely buy a headset down the road. I could also use a wireless adaptor. 

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

Originally posted by jinxxed0

Cool thanks everyone.

Yes from a high quality PSU it is, whitch is what I linked.

Now Quiz will give you even better advice, and prolly save more money.  Im very partial to Gigabit, and Seasonic. You could probably go with a 120 mm cpu cooler, and a P67 board. Roughly the same money.

Plus Im not versed in monitors, basically just linked one that looked like it had decent resollution with a good insant rebate.

If it were me I'd find one locally, or somewhere , that I could verify the Hz, and pick one with 120 Hz refresh rate, plus a decent resolution, and a tilt adjustable stand, 24" or better, maybe get a low priced 19" tilt from newegg, and use it as my second to display, vent, browser etc, while gaming.

And I would go with a AMD 6950 card,  and s 60gb SSD would be plenty for me.

Also I would look at the CFMs on the case fans and install my own, giving more air in than out, to cut down on dust.

One other thing I might do, maybe. Is wait for bulldozer, or use a Phenom2 with an AM3+ board, giving myself an upgrade option of the CPU down the road. Not saying the 1155 wont do that, but I think they are both decent Processors, and AMD is likely to be Par with intel very soon, again, likely for a little better price.

Seasonic has a 620 w I think it is, that may fit your budget, and they arent the only good PSU's, just grabbed some decent quality parts, that gave you an overview, in general, of what I think you should look at, that dont make me right, just willing.

Put together a very similar build for a buddy of mine recently, with a lil bigger case and the p67 board, he said it does great.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

Thanks for your input.

When it comes to buying PC parts, its my first time, so I don't trust myself in swtching suggested parts and stuff. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Whether 520 W is enough depends on what video card you get, and whether you overclock.

$1400 with peripherals probably comes to about $1100 without periperhals.  So under that assumption:

Processor/motherboard/optical drive:  $352, before a $15 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.729080

It says the optical drive comes free with the processor, so I hope that's still true if you get a combo deal.  You'll have to check at checkout.

Processor heatsink:  $27

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

If it doesn't let you get the optical drive free with the processor combo deal, then just get the processor alone for the optical drive, and get the motherboard in a combo deal with the heatsink:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.736359

Power supply/hard drive:  $130, before a $15 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.728993

Memory:  $42

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231424

Case/OS:  $175

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.722409.11-119-240

Video card:  $318, before a $50 rebate, and with a free game

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162075

If you don't do rebates and need to cut down somewhere, then save $90 and get this video card instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125401

Solid state drive:  $179, before a $20 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726

Or if you won't do the rebate, then get this instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233160

Total is $1223, before $100 in rebates, which leaves enough room for peripherals.  If you won't do rebates, then alternate options bring the base total down to $1114, which still leaves room for peripherals.  You're on your own for which peripherals to get.

Thanks quiz! I have pretty much everything set to go in the checkout. Would it be wise to get a warrentry on anything? 

on a well built machine (good cooling, good power supply, parts assembled properly w/o any static electricity issues.  and everything seated properly)  most of your hardware failures will occure within the 1st 48hrs of "burn in" period.  this is where you do your stress tests (prime95, furmark etc...)   once it's passed the 1st 48hrs, the system will likely last the designed lifetime of the parts(years) if you keep it relatively free of dust and on a good battery backup.   

the ONLY exceptions i've seen recently is with SSD's where the firmware suddently flip out and die on you at any given time:(   this is LESS likely to happen if you went with a crucial M4.  but, thats a big $ item that you should consult quizzy for his opinion. if you went with a M4, it'll be alittle faster, but about half the capacity:D   personally i'd go with it simply I value reliability more so then anything when it comes to hard drives.    

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

I personally dont like any of those builds.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

Originally posted by drazzah

What do you like?

Originally posted by PioneerStew

What do you like?

Probably any build made on his website (on his sig). 

Originally posted by PioneerStew

What do you like?

Probably any build made on his website (on his sig). 

I dont have any builds on my site, and im not trying to say that.

Quizzical offers a great build, but honestly if your going to spend 1000+ on a build. I would not take any type of "value series" items such as the RAM without heatsinks compared to better ram with heatsinks for about the same price. I am also not a huge fan of combo deals on newegg as most of them leave you no room for customization and on most deals you dont save much mone (Maybe $5 or $10).

Anyone spending $1000+ on a gaming computer should learn to overclock (its way easier than you think) because it will make that rig run much stronger. Every build that i do through my i site i personally overclock to stable speeds before i give it to someone. 

i'd never overclock a clients machine:D  there are long term costs involved in overclocking.  you cant assume clients will keep their computer dust free.   the thermal cycling and higher voltages of overclocking will reduce the reliability of the machine over time especially in the hands of people who do not understand the importance of keeping the thermal solution clean and have stable electrical input.

remember, there is a big difference between stable and reliable. 

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by psyclum

i'd never overclock a clients machine:D  there are long term costs involved in overclocking.  you cant assume clients will keep their computer dust free.   the thermal cycling and higher voltages of overclocking will reduce the reliability of the machine over time especially in the hands of people who do not understand the importance of keeping the thermal solution clean and have stable electrical input.

remember, there is a big difference between stable and reliable. 

Funny you should say that because I just had to replace a mobo due to OCing.  I had a mild OC on a E8400 (stock:3.0 - OC:3.6) on a Asus P5E-VM mobo,  The OC was stable and was running @ 3.6 for a few years before I bought a new computer and gave my old one to my wife.  Becasue my wife only uses the computer to watch Korean drama shows I loaded default settings and that is when the mobo desided to go south.  Guess it could not handle the lower voltage settings after running at higher settings for so long.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

^^ TO ABOVE TWO POSTS ^^

This is why a lot of peoples system fail due to OCing. Just because your overclocking doesnt mean you need to up volts, and a lot of people dont understand how to truly make their system stable with overclocks. You can overclock a 2500K quite high on stock volts. You can even overclock a bit and actually lower the volts. Another big mistake is that people thing OC is so bad for your computer and will destroy it, this is completely false. A BAD overclock will do this, but if done correctly it wont cause any harm at all. 

I tell all my customers if they want me to overclock their build before i give/ship it to them.  I tell them what could possibly happen and i always back them up if anything does happen. No returns and dont expect any.

TL;DR

Overclocking can really open up a computer. If done properly youll be perfectly fine, if done half-assed youll probably destroy your machine.

Is this worth getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726

After thinking about it, I'm considering sending it back once I get it. Especially with all the horror story reviews. It just doesn't seem worth it anymore if theres a good chance it's gonna break. Has anyone personally had any luck

Personally, ill never buy OCZ SSDs as ive had 3 already fail. They fail with a lot of people and there way overpriced. You can easily wait it out and see deals all the time where youll be spending $1/1GB. If your looking for a good SSD get a Crucial.

Personally, ill never buy OCZ SSDs as ive had 3 already fail. They fail with a lot of people and there way overpriced. You can easily wait it out and see deals all the time where youll be spending $1/1GB. If your looking for a good SSD get a Crucial.

Thanks for the info/tip. I think I'll send it back and use the regular harddrive. I'm not sure if I really need an SSD. I can use the money for some games or something.

the lack of a SSD is the reason why most people THINK they need to upgrade or replace their computer:)

SSDs are nice, but honestly you dont really need one. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

You don't need an SSD--unless it bothers you if your computer is sluggish and constantly makes you sit and wait.  Likewise, a computer doesn't need a discrete video card--unless it bothers you to have to run games at low graphical settings.

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

I recently purchased the following all from newegg...

Crucial M4 SSD 256GB

1 TB HDD

ASRock z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 mobo

EVGA 570 GTX

8 GB Corsair Vengance ram

2 TB Ext HD (for backup)

i7 2600k 3.4G Sandy Bridge cpu

PSU Seasonic 560w

and a free copy of Batman Arkham City (who cares)

all for just under 1600 USD.

I could have saved a hundred or so doing combo's but you know what? I went with what I wanted and not some cheap shit to make the combo deal work. You can sub the Ext HD and maybe you don't need a PSU and you are under 1400 USD. I am getting a NZXT case and will need a copy of Win 7, more cooling fans and a dvd/cd drive..but it'll get there.

If you don't play gfx intensive FPS's and only cheap MMO's...you can skimp on some stuff. I am sick of shit framerates in BFBC2 and want to be at least field a competitive rig in BF3.

Good luck in whatever you buy.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

Originally posted by CactusJack

I recently purchased the following all from newegg...

Crucial M4 SSD 256GB

1 TB HDD

ASRock z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 mobo

EVGA 570 GTX

8 GB Corsair Vengance ram

2 TB Ext HD (for backup)

i7 2600k 3.4G Sandy Bridge cpu

PSU Seasonic 560w

and a free copy of Batman Arkham City (who cares)

all for just under 1600 USD.

I could have saved a hundred or so doing combo's but you know what? I went with what I wanted and not some cheap shit to make the combo deal work. You can sub the Ext HD and maybe you don't need a PSU and you are under 1400 USD. I am getting a NZXT case and will need a copy of Win 7, more cooling fans and a dvd/cd drive..but it'll get there.

If you don't play gfx intensive FPS's and only cheap MMO's...you can skimp on some stuff. I am sick of shit framerates in BFBC2 and want to be at least field a competitive rig in BF3.

Good luck in whatever you buy.

Good choice of the SSD ;D