Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 reason on why you should play GW (if you play WOW u must read)

13»

Comments

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Originally posted by Lydon
    Originally posted by tro44_1
    That your opinion. You're a fanboy/girl
    So how you want me to disprove your opinion other then the already current active population numbers that you can find on the internet somewhere.
    GW sold the boxes based off the hype. Thats hype is dead now. Even as a F2p mmo it couldn't beat off WoW or RuneScape.

By presenting me with facts and figures of course. A very small portion of what I have said is my opinion. They are cold hard facts that you simply don't like so try to ignore them.

And once again, you continue to talk the biggest load of crap. Guild Wars, despite that latest release having been in 2007, is still selling 200 000 copies per quarter. Most MMOs can only DREAM of those sales figures. I'll be the first to admit that WoW has sold more copies, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, but ArenaNet are a brand new company who have sold 6 million copies of their very first game. That is an achievement. How many copies did Blizzard's first game sell? Yeah...I bet you don't want to go their either.

Lastly, you should be the last person accusing people of being fanboys. Really now. If you'd like my sources I can happily present them to you.

Im not arguing your point i just want to mention ArenaNet isnt brand new and I like your opinion in your post. Alot of F2P devs can learn from GW's success.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

That your opinion. You're a fanboy/girl

So how you want me to disprove your opinion other then the already current active population numbers that you can find on the internet somewhere.

GW sold the boxes based off the hype. Thats hype is dead now. Even as a F2p mmo it couldn't beat off WoW or RuneScape.

By presenting me with facts and figures of course. A very small portion of what I have said is my opinion. They are cold hard facts that you simply don't like so try to ignore them.

And once again, you continue to talk the biggest load of crap. Guild Wars, despite that latest release having been in 2007, is still selling 200 000 copies per quarter. Most MMOs can only DREAM of those sales figures. I'll be the first to admit that WoW has sold more copies, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, but ArenaNet are a brand new company who have sold 6 million copies of their very first game. That is an achievement. How many copies did Blizzard's first game sell? Yeah...I bet you don't want to go their either.

Lastly, you should be the last person accusing people of being fanboys. Really now. If you'd like my sources I can happily present them to you.

Please do.

History doesnt repeat History, people repeat History.

And we seen it all through history of ORPGs.

Hype Sells boxes. Doesnt mean it is even good nor does it mean they have a large active player base.

Need I point you to:

Warhammer Online

DarkFail,, oops mean Darkfall

Age of Conan

-------------------

Once it gets to the point of having both a large active player base and box sells, then it can compare to WoW. Till then, GW will remain the crap that will be used to fertilize the fields of new upcomming F2P MMOs.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by gamerman98 

Im not arguing your point i just want to mention ArenaNet isnt brand new and I like your opinion in your post. Alot of F2P devs can learn from GW's success.

I know they're not brand new, but as a company their first and so far only game is Guild Wars. 

Please do.
    Hype Sells boxes. Doesnt mean it is even good nor does it mean they have a large active player base.
    Need I point you to:
    Warhammer Online
    Age of Conan
    -------------------

Once it gets to the point of having both a large active player base and box sells, then it can compare to WoW. Till then, GW will remain the crap that will be used to fertilize the fields of new upcomming F2P MMOs.

Hahaha, the majority of your post makes absolutely no sense. It takes nothing more than simply logging in to Guild Wars to see that it has a large active player base...but I guess some of us don't have the brain capacity to come to that conclusion. Comparing Guild Wars to games that have sold at most a 6th of what Guild Wars has sold is also a very, very silly thing to do. It does nothing to further your argument.

Also, if hype sells boxes then by that logic World of Warcraft is a terrible game. That came straight out of your mouth and your mouth alone. Way to prove my point for me 

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Please do.
    Need I point you to:
    Warhammer Online
    Age of Conan
    -------------------

Hahaha, the majority of your post makes absolutely no sense. It takes nothing more than simply logging in to Guild Wars to see that it has a large active player base...but I guess some of us don't have the brain capacity to come to that conclusion. Comparing Guild Wars to games that have sold at most a 6th of what Guild Wars has sold is also a very, very silly thing to do. It does nothing to further your argument.

Also, if hype sells boxes then by that logic World of Warcraft is a terrible game. That came straight out of your mouth and your mouth alone. Way to prove my point for me 

WoW doesnt have the highest population of players for nothing. They unlike Guild Wars, managed to live up to the hype,

which is why they are still growing.

10 mil to 11 mil

-------

Now look at GW, AoC, Warhammer

Hyped up at start, then once that hype died, the Population droped in the masses.

[Mod Edit]

WoW doesnt have the highest population of players for nothing. They unlike Guild Wars, managed to live up to the hype,
    which is why they are still growing.
    10 mil to 11 mil
    -------
    Now look at GW, AoC, Warhammer
    Hyped up at start, then once that hype died, the Population droped in the masses.

Guild Wars is a COMPLETELY new franchise that far exceeded hype. They are selling 200 000 copies every quarter of every year. It is growing. Warcraft is a well-established franchise that lived up to its hype. And as I said, show me another MMO other than WoW that has sold 6 million copies. 

[Mod Edit]

I'd be very worried if you were running any sort of company because your simple lack of understanding of how businesses work is laughable. 

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209

They are selling 200 000 copies every quarter of every year. It is growing.

As much as I love GW, their quarterly sales figures are a bit of a joke. They measure based on campaigns/expansions sold, not accounts activated, so the majority of the money they're pulling in is from existing players buying additional campaigns, not new people joining in.

I could go on an on about the difficulties of guild recruiting and all but 3 or 4 people on my friends list now being permanently offline, but I'll just say that that the concensus on wiki and some other GW boards is that the player base is indeed declining.

Originally posted by Gennadios 
    As much as I love GW, their quarterly sales figures are a bit of a joke. They measure based on campaigns/expansions sold, not accounts activated, so the majority of the money they're pulling in is from existing players buying additional campaigns, not new people joining in.
    I could go on an on about the difficulties of guild recruiting and all but 3 or 4 people on my friends list now being permanently offline, but I'll just say that that the concensus on wiki and some other GW boards is that the player base is indeed declining.

No it is not. That has been debated time and again and NCsoft have confirmed that it is accounts activated.

• nitowanitowa Member Posts: 3

To be honest, this thread stinks.

People should seriously stop comparing EVERYTHING to WoW.

Seriously, WoW is (or better - was) a really good game, and I enjoyed it for almost 4 years, aswell as GW.

The breaking point in comparing those two games is that, they are a COMPLETELY different genere.

WoW is a MMORPG

GW is a RPG

LIVE WITH IT.

Now that's being said, you'd probably like to compare CoD4 with chess?

Now back to topic:

1- GW isnt based on infinite grinding, is based in completing missions

Indeed, but why is everyone farming items and money to buy armor that ain't even better than the standard (1k) one then?

Aswell as that, GW does NOT have any endgame PVE content that isn't based around farming basically useless items (since all "endgame" items are max, you might aswell run around in collector armor)

I really miss the fun of the high end WoW raids.

2-GW have the best PVP sistem you`ll find in any other mmorpg

First off, what the hell happened to proper grammar and spelling?

Well - okay, the PVP in GW is fun. You're right about that, but it's basically always the same. Everyone is running around in PVX builds and everybody is complaining.

And the system is pretty much a poker system (build x    beats     build y     beats    build z)

3-Only 1 pay and infinite game time

Well, fact.

4-The AWSOME graphics

The gfx are okay for a game that's 4 years old, yet I wouldn't calle them AWESOME. There are many real f2p games with better graphics

5-events every weekend

Oh hell yeah, it's the super awesome event kick I get when I read "double faction rewards from GvG".... seriously, the events in WoW are better.

http://flashrev.com
    Reviewing the best and worst flash games for the bored folks out there!

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

I agree. WoW is (or was?) a great game but for those looking for a change of pace GWs is awesome. I've played all the current MMOs (including Aions beta) and I may just swtich with GWs and for GW2 to come out. I'm having a blast :-)

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227

I can't wait until GW2...

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Absolutely love GW, played it consistently since the betas.

What keeps me coming back is that I can instantly create any class/build I want and engage in competitive pvp. I can play whatever I feel like whenever I want and have a blast.

Every other mmo I have played since DAOC has basically been 1 or 2 months to level cap then its /quit since all I can do is make an alt and go through the boring grind over and over or engage in boring zerg or no pvp.

I think most people who dislike GW simply just don't appreciate competitive skill based  pvp. All they want to do is grind forever and farm phat loot so they can impress noobs. Give that noob the same gear (ala Guild Wars) and now we have a real fight.

• iLiikEgaMEziLiikEgaMEz Member Posts: 10

I have been playing WoW for a long time but am getting very tired of it and the bad graphics I would try out guild wars and will most likely buy it if i like it but i want to try it first so if anyone has a nightfall or factions free trial key email me at [email protected] 

Originally posted by iLiikEgaMEz

I have been playing WoW for a long time but am getting very tired of it and the bad graphics I would try out guild wars and will most likely buy it if i like it but i want to try it first so if anyone has a nightfall or factions free trial key email me at [email protected] 

You can get one on the Guild Wars website.

• JoBrillJoBrill Member Posts: 6

been playing GW for a while now, .. on and off. I just tried WoW ... oh brother. i cannot believe people actually still play it. WoW is not even like 30% of what GW is like. Take in consideration the graphics too.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Wife and I have played both GW and WoW as well as many other mmos. I never understood what what great about guild wars. I just couldn't get into it too much instancing and now wow pretty much lets you port instantly to dungeons. Maybe I'm old fashion but I at least like to be able to explore the world.

• iLiikEgaMEziLiikEgaMEz Member Posts: 10

At the Guild Wars website there is only a free trial for the "Prophecies" Guild Wars, I would like to have a Nightfall guild wars free trial key, I no longer need the Factions key, because I bought that expansion over a year ago. So anyone that still has a free trial key for Nightfall please send me an e-mail at 

"[email protected]"    ( Please confirm in this thread or in a private message if you send me one so I can check, thanks!)