Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Is the World Ready for a Mass Effect MMO?

Comments

• KizzattaKizzatta Member Posts: 59

I was going to retort to the "I'm not a fan of generic RPGs like Mass Effect" comment but I realised it wouldn't matter. I just completed Mass Effect 2 a few hours ago for the first time, never playing the first, and I can safely say Mass Effect 2 is one of the best role playing games ever created. If you thought the KOTOR games were good like I did, then Mass Effect 2 will get you lit.

MMO? Yes I think Mass Effect would have been a great MMO IP had they started the project sooner. If they started now it might come out after the candles all burned out as someone mentioned above. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by SaintViktor

If it looks and plays like The Old Republic then I'm passing.

I disagree

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

I'd love to see a Mass Effect mmo, if it kept the same general playstyle as the single player games. If it was traditional mmo combat I think that would take something away from the experience.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I don't see why an ME MMO would be bad. In fact, I think it would have been better for Bioware to develope an ME MMO before or even rather than an SW MMO. They can do more with ME because it's their baby. They're not limited by Lucas Arts.

I only played the first one, and I thought after finishing it the first time that it would be perfect for a sci-fi MMO world. I'd be very interested in playing it as long as they made it off-rails so to speak.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

Originally posted by MurlockDance

I don't see why an ME MMO would be bad. In fact, I think it would have been better for Bioware to develope an ME MMO before or even rather than an SW MMO. They can do more with ME because it's their baby. They're not limited by Lucas Arts.

I only played the first one, and I thought after finishing it the first time that it would be perfect for a sci-fi MMO world. I'd be very interested in playing it as long as they made it off-rails so to speak.

Dam, it would be better than 90% of MMO's out there

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    A Mass Effect MMo would have to be sandboxy. Skill/classes set up similar to the games, with more depth drawn in a la TSW (one of the few things Funcom is doing right with that game). Races and factions are numerous (don't need to just place one of the major council races - human, turian, asari, salarian; but quarians, batarians and krogan, and perhaps even volus?).

Allow players to create factions as well - merc bands and slavers, PMCs, etc.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

I think the World is ready but not me.

I want to remember ME 10 years later as a great single player experience not as a failed mmorpg.

• yarpen800yarpen800 Member UncommonPosts: 7

The question is not whether the world is ready for ME MMO. The question is can they make it as epic and as deep as the single player game is. I highly doubt that, MMOs make every RPG experience shallow and more about level and equipment grind than actually roleplaying and following the storyline. For that reason alone I have to say give it up with MMO Mass Effect crap and release a great Mass Effect 3.

• TerminatusTerminatus Member Posts: 104

Currently the only Sci-Fi MMO out there (atleast that i know of) seems to be Eve Online... and it takes a special kind of person to play it (all that scamming, griefing and general exploitation, along a big list of social no-nos).

There was Earth & Beyond, which alot of ppl liked but EA, in their sapience, decided that making The Sims Online was a better idea... they failed BIG!

There was Tabula Rasa, but too many clashes between Garriot and Nexon kinda disctated it's fate.

...no, Star Trek Online is NOT an MMO, it's just a mere Joke (and i'm a sad oner of a Lifetime account that i don't play)!

I'm tired of all these Sword, Shield & and friggin Elves MMOs that seems to be popping everyday, i want to be able to choose playing a different MMO.

Also, as some ppl already said before, the Mass Effect Universe is already established and detailed thus cutting on the cost of developing a brand new background from the ground up... and companies like to cut cost as much as possible.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

i dont buy you, if it does release, i can see you dip the game even if it's  1 minute =P

anyway, i agree with most, i dont think ME is suitable to become an MMO

it just doesn't fit the category

let there only be SWTOR from BioWare

So What Now?

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Ready as in 'ready to pay whatever the payment is for one?'

Not sure about the 'world' but I am! :)

To see the citidal, to shoot up some Blue Suns with my friends is just awesome.. to... *gasp!*

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by KanoRain

I am probably one of the biggest Mass Effect fans you can meet.  I've played through every possible outcome of the two games, all the DLC, etc etc at least once if not multiple times.  If they made a Mass Effect MMO I would never touch that slimy piece of shit.

Might I add I love MMOs, and I love Bioware.  Mass Effect is NOT an MMO IP.

The Mass Effect IP has EVERYTHING that is needed for a sci-fi MMO. A diverse universe with multiple civilizations accompanied with rich lore. Plus it's an IP created and owned by Bioware which gives them the freedom to implement what ever they see fit lore wise without having to check with Lucas Arts first. 

However, there is no way Bioware is going to undermine SW TOR with a second AAA sci-fi MMO, not in the foreseeable future at least. Maybe something like Blizzards new FPS MMO would be more viable, who knows. 

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

What if it looks and plays like GW2 then? It would be an awesome MMO, right? Are you not tired yet poping in every thread which has the word "Bioware" in it leaving hate posts about TOR? We got it already, you're a die hard GW 2 fan, the MMO which will revolutionize the whole genre and bring joy to millions of MMO fans. 

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

I think the world is primed for sci-fi MMOs with spacephips to fight and travel with and planets and stations to explore with your own customizable avatar... Mass Effect or not. It may be better off left to the single player RPG annuals of history while an original IP is developed by some one.  And if a dev team does such a game, I hope they have enough sense not to emmulate your typical wow like fantasy mmo and take an original route for combat in particular. Just playing around with Deus Ex HR for example, you feel like you are in a world of guns and bombs outside the silly boss battles. 

One of the reasons (among many)  STO fell so far short of expectations was they attempted to make combat wow like rather than ever noticing how silly it felt to shoot some one with a phaser repeatedly while they stood there whacking you with a little knife for the win...

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

It could be a good setting and game for say an MMOFPS.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Mass Effect is a solo experience. The games are about Commander Shepherd. There's no compromise here. He fights like a Krogan, runs like a leopard - you just can't beat Commander Shepherd.

Mass Effect is good because of it's characters, Dragon Age is the same. The characters where mediocore at best in Dragon Age 2, and see where that got them?

Not everything has to be a MMO.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by Unshra

Mass Effect was designed to run as three titles, the likely hood of them making another single-player Mass Effect game is very rare so it's natural evolution is to die off or evolve into something else. If Mass Effect became an MMO it is not going to lessen the likely hood of them making a single-player game they never intended on creating in the first place.

Bioware have made it pretty clear, even before this interveiw that Mass Effect 3 wont be the end of Mass Effect, its just the end of Shepard and that particular story. Heres one of the articles from august, there are other, older articles to, http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/28/bioware-with-mass-effect-3-commander-shepards-story-is-complete/

Bioware have "ambitious plans" to make more games, whether its an MMO or single player it doesnt say, although this article here seems suspicous, maybe Bioware asked MMORPG to see what the general opinion is.

Whatever happens we will see a lot more Mass Effect.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

Originally posted by jdnewell

Not every single player game needs to be raped for every cent of profit by making it into an MMO that more than likely would be half arsed at best. Milking IPs for every cent IMO is whats wrong with this industry today.

If the thinking behind the scenes was more " lets make the best game we can" and less " lets see what we can milk the players for"  the industry would be more respected.

I'm thinking of Bobby Kotick and that stupid grin of his.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Shodanas

What if it looks and plays like GW2 then? It would be an awesome MMO, right? Are you not tired yet poping in every thread which has the word "Bioware" in it leaving hate posts about TOR? We got it already, you're a die hard GW 2 fan, the MMO which will revolutionize the whole genre and bring joy to millions of MMO fans. 

You're missing the point. SWTOR is a generic MMO the likes of which we have seen since, oh EQ?!?

From what we know, GW2 is a very alien iteration of an MMO. It combines the old and the new. The combat system looks exciting and new, their take on PvP is AWESOME (no more retarded "rank" grinds for gear and have everyone higher rank than you stomp you in the process) and the personal story looks intriguiging. I could go on, but I won't. 

Seriously, stop your hate for GW2 from clouding your comprehension. To say that GW2 looks innovative, fresh, or promising will not take away from whatever merits SWTOR has. (Merits that I personally can't see, but every game has it's lovers so I'm sure those people can fill the blank in for me) 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Nope that is not a good IP for a MMO in my minds eye.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Nope that is not a good IP for a MMO in my minds eye.

Mass Effect is the perfect IP for an MMO, huge world with factions that settle their differances with guns, loads of races, defined classes and plenty of worlds and potential for a story that would justify an MMO.

Imagine being a bounty hunter in the Terminus systems or an Asari commando fighting Reapers/Collectors/Krogan/Rachni/Red sand smugglers or whatever else. Mass Effect is probably as perfect an IP as you could get.

Whether it would be good or not would be a failiure on the part of developers not the IP.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Mass Effect has everything a mmorpg needs, looking at it as a world/universe. Now on top of that, use obviously the Mass Effect style FPS-RPG gameplay and build the whole thing as a sandbox-themepark hybrid and we have a winner. Cant go wrong. Mmorpg-fps.

Originally posted by Kuinn

Mass Effect has everything a mmorpg needs, looking at it as a world/universe. Now on top of that, use obviously the Mass Effect style FPS-RPG gameplay and build the whole thing as a sandbox-themepark hybrid and we have a winner. Cant go wrong. Mmorpg-fps.

Why not just solve the world economic crisis while I am at it?

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I think A ME mmo would be great.

Massive Universe to play in.

Third person cover based combat of ME2.

Deeper RPG elements than ME1.

A little crafting.

I would set the party size to four and make the only large scale content as open world type invasion style content (no Raids!).

Kind of like a war simiulation.

Also I would make it Pve only. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

If it stays faithfull to the main series atmosphere, art design and general gameplay - i would play it like crazy. But if it's WoW with krogan, forget it.