Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: The Complete Collection Giveaway!

Comments

• DeathDealer2DeathDealer2 Member UncommonPosts: 24

I would really really like to win this becuase I have Guild Wars and one expansion and would love to be able to let someone else experience the game for themselves on my old account while I switch to this one so I would be able to play everything that I missed by not having the entire series.... I would really like to get a reboot before Guild Wars 2 comes out, but I will not use twitter no matter what. Why is it that all the amazing giveaways require twitter? I signed up to mmorpg.com not twitter.com :(

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

Easier just to buy it on D2D when its on sale, i got thecomplete set for $9.99

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

Originally posted by Kost

Originally posted by BillMurphy

And while this thread is negative, the 1000+  new followers since our contest last week began says we should keep doing it this way.

When you give away free stuff it's pretty much guaranteed to attract people.

However, it does not guarantee that they will actually follow the site, nor the twitter or facebook feeds. But, it's your site, if you choose to keep doing it this way, even though those of us that have followed the site loyally for years might not prefer it and enjoy being able to take part in these contests, then so be it.

ppl cant stop following in twitter and facebook after pressing the buttom?

because yeah 1000 new followers is nice (count 99% of them are just following because some contest but hey! ) , what happens after the contest ends? is any1 still going to follow mmorpg.com ?

are news/rewies posted on tweeter send it to every1 following? i never understood how this sites work Oo?

anyway , after the contest as i said , ppl will ignore the "spam" from that lame web that didnt give me my GW game .....

LOYAL users >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any twitter facebook user that just follow u because wants free stuff....

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    I never will use Twitter or Facebook due to privacy concerns its just not worth it plus dealing with all the spam-friend me so they can get ahead in their browser games just no.....I can say this though at least the forum community that has posted has all agreed on something for once :P

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Okay......

Anyone excited about winning the Guild Wars Complete Collection probably doesnt have it.  Right?  I dont.  Ive never played it.  I would love to though.  But I need to tweet them on what I want in the Hall of Monuments. 

How the heck am I supposed to know that???  Ive never played GW!!!!!!  And anyone who would know how to answer that question wouldnt need the prize anyways being they've already got the game. 

CONUNDRUM I SAY 

And also....sniff........I dont tweet.  Or use twitter.  Why are there so many of these twitter contests anyways? 

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

Love Guild Wars so will enter regardless.

Like some of their giveaways, but sometimes it just seems a bother.

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

Done and done.. : )

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Kost

And while this thread is negative, the 1000+  new followers since our contest last week began says we should keep doing it this way.
    When you give away free stuff it's pretty much guaranteed to attract people.
    However, it does not guarantee that they will actually follow the site, nor the twitter or facebook feeds. But, it's your site, if you choose to keep doing it this way, even though those of us that have followed the site loyally for years might not prefer it and enjoy being able to take part in these contests, then so be it.

Excellent sentiment, Kost. And very well said.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

To be honest, every twitter/facebook follower should get paid by mmorpg.com for promoting your website.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

is it so damn hard to make a dummy account there and take part?

• SjengSjeng Member Posts: 2

Posted my entry on twitter too! Been playing for almost 6.5 years, still loving it!

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Originally posted by Sjeng
    Posted my entry on twitter too! Been playing for almost 6.5 years, still loving it!

Should you not leave it for someone who hasn't played, to win? It's the reason I am not entering.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Hey folks,

We use Twitter to do these  contests to grow our twitter followers.  Whether you like or not, we have to do this because it's a great way to reach an even wider audience. Now, our news feed and features go up on Twitter everyday, as well as Facebook.  Thousands see it there, and follow the links here.  They're spread organically across the web, and an article that might only see a thousand hits, can sometimes turn into a monster.  There's a real quality use for Twitter and FB as a media organization and we're not going to stop using it. 

Now, that said, we'll never "force" you guys to use either of those but we do use these contests to grow our followers there, which in turn brings more people here.  It's pretty basic.  And while this thread is negative, the 1000+  new followers since our contest last week began says we should keep doing it this way.

But again guys, please try to understand that we haven't forgotten those of you who would prefer to stay away from social network sites.  I think you're doing yourselves a news and information disservice, due to the fact that if you follow the right feeds you can get all of your news in a nice friendly place with none of the "I just peed green" status updates. 

In the coming weeks, we have even more giveaways lined up, and they'll be only on the forums.  So bear  with us, eh?

How many of those new giveaways will be for Guild Wars stuff?  First there was the plushy, now Guild Wars accounts.  What Guild Wars related are you going to offer on this site?

I understand why you and your management think this is a good thing but it's not, trust me on that.  Pissing off your current visitors will cost you more than you gain. 

So, my question stands; what Guild Wars related item are you going to offer on the site that has about the same value? 

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Oh look it's people competing for the title of The Great Hipster again.

Just sign up for the bloody thing, it takes all of a minute or two and you don't even have to be truthful about your info.

Bloody hell.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

would be awesome if i won one of them....but since i never won anything ever before i aint getting my hope up

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Twitter be damned.

Everyone comes to MMORPG.com for their own reasons, but being 'encouraged'to sign up to some shithouse third party social network site as the only means to win some swag isn't one of them.  Keep MMORPG.com contests at MMORPG.com.

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

twitter my ass.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

Originally posted by thedarkess

Well I suppose I could be a sell out to myself, and sign up. Then again I actually like myself, and enjoy sticking to my principals, and decisions. We aren't all so easily bought.

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Originally posted by jerkbeast

Well I suppose I could be a sell out to myself, and sign up. Then again I actually like myself, and enjoy sticking to my principals, and decisions. We aren't all so easily bought.

Then you accept that you cannot take part in the competition, yes?

That's some hardcore principles (Notice the way it's spelled) you've got there though, it's just a social networking site, not the unethical soylent green meatgrinder.

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

Originally posted by Thekandy

Originally posted by jerkbeast

Then you accept that you cannot take part in the competition, yes?

That's some hardcore principles (Notice the way it's spelled) you've got there though, it's just a social networking site, not the unethical soylent green meatgrinder.

I accept that I can't enter this contest, but I do not like it, or agree with it.

Also if you think my spelling is important please contact mmorpg.com programers, and ask them to put a spell checker into the comments section. 

Also if you want all your personal info all over, and think it's cool that's fine, but I don't. I don't like my info to become public domain. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I have used Twitter more in the past week for contenst entries than in the entire time I've known Twitter existed.  I can see the attraction, I think.  This would explain why both Facebook and Google+ have a 'Public' option for posts...now you can blog and such from whatever social network, product acquisition application you want.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• khartman2005khartman2005 Member Posts: 477

I am not signing up to tween twit just to win this.  It isn't expensive to buy anyways.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Holy mass deletion of posts complaining about this joke..

I guess that's one way to "stop" the overwhelming #of posts complaining about it..

• JenadaraJenadara Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by tachgb

Hall of Monuments ? As a new player wanting to win this collection, how do they enter this competition with zero knowledge of the game?

Please answer this.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by Jenadara

Originally posted by tachgb

Hall of Monuments ? As a new player wanting to win this collection, how do they enter this competition with zero knowledge of the game?

Please answer this.

It doesn't have to be an "actual" thing from the game, we assume most people who are on this site are familiar enough with the game.  Even if they're not, they can make up a cute/witty/snide answer. 

Again, Twitter contest is Twitter contest.  Those who don't want to use Twitter will be seeing another fairly awesome contest to come quite soon, and it will be on the site only.  We will do both, and we haven't forgotten our loyal forum users either. 

Basically, please breathe and understand that to keep this site running we need to follow the web trends in their many movements.  All of our content is still here and the majority of our goodies will still be here.  But yes, like it or not, Twitter is an excellent way to bring more readers to the site.  Our metrics have proven as much.  The followers grow organically over time, but we're using contests to grow it quicker.  It's basically free advertising for our content.  We can't say no to this. 

And I promise you'll like the contest we're going to do here on the forums only.  In the words of Al Gore, I'm totally serial.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.