Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well here it is... The new Amazon Kindle Fire!

BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

They just opened up preorders for a November 15th launch. At a starting price of $199 all other Tablet makers should be afraid... very afraid. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

Comments

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Finally!!!!

Someone gets it!!!!

Tablets are for viewing media. Period. End of line.

Apple wanted to compete with netbooks and eReaders so he came up with something in between the two. The problem is that you can't do any real work on an iPad or Android tablet. For half the price of an iPad or Android tablet, I can buy a netbook that will run MS Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and Dreamweaver. For a fifth of the price of a tablet, I can read books in a way that won't kill my eyes.

Amazon gets the fact that tablets are portable media devices and that the average consumer isn't going to pay more than $200 for such a device. It's about damn time someone figured out.

• PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464

Here I was expecting a good ol' book burning...

*Yawn*

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

eh got a touchpad during the fire sale, not sure its worth buy another tablet.

i have kindle and a sideloader app to get books into it from my own collection.

looks nice though :)

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I'm certainly interested and will more than likely purchase close to release, but I'm much happier to see the Kindle Touch. I dropped my Kindle I a few weeks back and it froze the top right corner image on the screen. Now I miss a third of the first two sentences on every page. You'd be surprised how often the really important stuff is found in the top right hand corner of a new page.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

okay i'm convinced to buy one lol...

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Amazon's in a very unique position. It seems like...

Apple = subsidizes the cost of software by selling expensive hardware. It's why Lion is so cheap and probably they'll never charge for a iOS increment.

Amazon = can subsidize hardware by directly selling and renting every bit of content downloaded and streamed to it. 

Every other hardware maker seems stuck trying to beat Apple at their own game, Most have when it comes to the desktop, a lot of smartphone makers are starting to compete well against the iPhone like Samsung, but so far with tablets none have managed to compete well against Apple.

I see the Amazon Fire selling like hotcakes. HP proved with the TouchPad that people will go nuts for something $100 dollars regardless of having no future whatsoever, I think $200 will hit that same sweet spot especially with the value add of Amazon not going anywhere. 

Amazon won't have to make money off hardware, they're going to make it all the same way they always have. Somewhat a good thing for us the consumers...but I dunno. I'm fine with Amazon having all my ebooks, but not sure if I'm ready yet for them to own all of my movies, music and apps as well. 

I think I'd rather Amazon controlling how I can access things I"ve already bought moreso than Apple though. Something like an Amazon app on 360 or PS3 is a lot more feasible than an iTunes app on those devices. Of all the major players seeking to have you buy content from them and be locked on, Amazon seems the most....universal. 

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

I've got mixed feelings concerning the Ereaders personally. As a bibliophile, the increased ease of carrying around and using reading material I enjoy, but  the smell and feel of those now nonexistent pages is a part of the experience as well.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by Aelfinn
    I've got mixed feelings concerning the Ereaders personally. As a bibliophile, the increased ease of carrying around and using reading material I enjoy, but  the smell and feel of those now nonexistent pages is a part of the experience as well.

Amazon should sell book smell air fresheners that you can hang around your neck as you read on a kindle. Silly idea but I bet they would sell a bundle of them.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• newkidznewkidz Member Posts: 19

I think I should wait next month who knows the price will drop! and usually seller will give more discount! anyway thanks! for the info!

• HardWalkerHardWalker Member Posts: 84

The thing I'm interested in, and the only reason I was ever interested in a Kindle, was the LCD Screens that weren't effected at all by light/sunlight. 

Does anyone know if this will be the same? If so, I'd freaking love to have one. If not, I will just keep using my phone. 

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Originally posted by HardWalker

The thing I'm interested in, and the only reason I was ever interested in a Kindle, was the LCD Screens that weren't effected at all by light/sunlight. 

Does anyone know if this will be the same? If so, I'd freaking love to have one. If not, I will just keep using my phone. 

Those are e-ink screens. The Fire will have a standard LCD like your phone.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Originally posted by Aelfinn

Personally i just prefer to read things in books rather than on a screen.

On top of that most of those e-readers are overpriced and worst part, if you break it you need to buy a new one which costs a lot. break a book (gl with that) and you just need to rebuy one (breaking an e-reader is like breaking your library).

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.