Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sub $500 laptop that will play SW:TOR?

13»

Comments

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Ah. Thank you. If I ever wanted to upgrade the cpu/gpu combination that would kill me.  I'll keep looking.

actually, you dont usually upgrade the cpu/gpu in a laptop after you buy it:)   driver updates doesnt upgrade the hardware.   intel is looking into software upgradeable cpu, but i dont think thats actually going to be viable since hackers would basiclly hack the chip and get a free upgrade:D

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by psyclum

intel is looking into software upgradeable cpu, but i dont think thats actually going to be viable since hackers would basiclly hack the chip and get a free upgrade:D

Actually, that's not what Intel's software upgradeable processors do.  Rather, they take a processor that could run at a higher bin, and then disable some features to sell it at a lower bin.  So instead of, say, a $100 processor, they disable some stuff and sell it to you for $70.  Then later they say, oh hey, you want a faster processor?  Well then, pay us $50 and we'll unlock your existing processor to the higher bin, so that it will work like the $100 processor.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Quizzical
    Nvidia insists that to use SLI, it has to not merely be the same GPU chip, but the same bin of the same die.  AMD at least lets you try using different bins of the same die, by running both cards at the lower bin specs.

Total aside, but did want to mention when you are using Crossfire with different bins of the same die with AMD (ie 5750 and 5770), it does not downclock the 5770 to the 5750. The memory pool is matched of course, because they must work with the same set of data, but it will keep the 5750 clocked at 700MHz and the 5770 clocked at 850MHz and the performance you get will be halfway between a pair of 5750's and a pair of 5770's.

Techreport put out an interesting article that makes it pretty clear that SLI/Crossfire with anything less than top of the line cards is not worthwhile though. The FPS count will be high but the perceived FPS will be much lower than FRAPS is telling you.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986

OK.  I managed to try the memory cover off (needed a snall flat screwdriver run along the edge).

Quiz:   The memory you linked was for PC3 10666.  The one in the machine is a Samsung PC3 10600.  Are they compatible?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

$499.99 - Laptop that will do the job well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215120

$42.99 free ship - Ram upgrade(I would ABSOLUTELY encourage this, it's crucial):  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211515

$59.99 - Hard Drive upgrade to 7200rpm, also VERY HIGH priority: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136856

Puts you at 602.97  and I know for an absolute fact that it will run the current build of SWTOR.  I am a current beta tester and have the exact same machine. As for launch builds, to that I can say nothing without it being pure conjecture or breaking NDA.

I CAN say:

I am a Tester

I own that exact computer setup above

May blow your budget by 100.00 but that is more than $100 total power and functionality you are adding, making the value you get well worth it in my opinion.  Oh, and ram and a hard drive take a whopping 3 minutes to change out. Hell, call me, I'll walk you through it for free.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    OK.  I managed to try the memory cover off (needed a snall flat screwdriver run along the edge).

Quiz:   The memory you linked was for PC3 10666.  The one in the machine is a Samsung PC3 10600.  Are they compatible?

They are. Memory will downclock to the lower value so even if they were different rating they would still be compatible, and in this case they actually are rated the same but G.Skill and Samsung are labeling the memory on slightly different terms.

PC3 10600 is the 'official' label and denotes the transfer rate. The more accurate transfer rate is actually 10666.66~ MB/s, which is where G.Skill is getting PC3 10666 from.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

The memory I linked you http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231266

I found a review on newegg for that memory this is how I found out its sure to work.

Pros: Works great, Used to max out my K53TA laptop

Cons: none

Also here is a guide for the Asus laptop on taking things apart. How to upgrade the hard-drive, the RAM and etc.

http://gentechpcforums.com/Images/Manuals/K53%20Series%20Guide%20Chapter%2002-v1.0.pdf

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Ive successfully overclocked the CPU to 2.3 Ghz after reading the forum and info people posted. Im now going to overclock the dedicated GPU to 700/1000 which is the sweet spot for this machine so ive read. After the overclocking so people are seeing better results than an intel i5.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986

Originally posted by noquarter

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

They are. Memory will downclock to the lower value so even if they were different rating they would still be compatible, and in this case they actually are rated the same but G.Skill and Samsung are labeling the memory on slightly different terms.

PC3 10600 is the 'official' label and denotes the transfer rate. The more accurate transfer rate is actually 10666.66~ MB/s, which is where G.Skill is getting PC3 10666 from.

OK thanks.  I just remember memory as being really picky where all the timings etc had to match.  They used to recommend you buy it in pairs to get a matched set because even different brands with the same rating caused problems.  Glad to hear it has gotten easier!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

In order to make it work, it absolutely has to be the same memory standard, i.e., DDR3.  It is strongly recommended that the memory channels be matched, so that you get two modules of exactly the same capacity.

Apart from that, it should just work, even if the memory has different specs.  You may have to set memory to the specs of the "worst" module, however.  (And which module is "worst" can vary from one spec to the next!)  For example, you can use a 1066 MHz module and a 1333 MHz module together just fine, but you'll have to run them both at 1066 MHz.  Likewise, you can mix CAS 7 and CAS 9 memory together if you run it all at CAS 9.  Laptop DDR3 should all be 1.5 V, so mixing memory rated at different voltages shouldn't be an issue for you.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Heres a review of the laptop you got shot if you want to read about it, LINK.

I checked asus website also for the laptop shot got, its not listed there under US part of it at least with the AMD solution.

• FtoTheXFtoTheX Member Posts: 2

Unfourtunatly the Best Buy's near me are all out of that ASUS.  Though I did see that they will be stocking this one soon:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+/+AMD+A-Series+Processor+/+17.3%26%2334%3B+Display+/+4GB+Memory+-+Pewter/3441304.p?id=1218402868391&skuId=3441304

Do you guys think this laptop would run SW:TOR near as good as the ASUS?

Thanks

No, it won't run games as well as the Asus laptop.  It's more comparable to the Gateway laptop that was discussed at the start of the thread.  So it will probably run the game smoothly, but not at high graphical settings.  It might be smooth at moderate settings, and probably will at low settings.

The laptop is pretty sparse on settings listed.  It doesn't say what hard drive it uses, or even the RPM, so it's probably 5400 RPM, which is slow.  It says 4 GB of system memory, but doesn't say the clock speed, so it could be either 1066 MHz or 1333 MHz DDR3.  You'd much rather have 1333 MHz DDR3 than 1066 MHz, and HP does sometimes use 1333 MHz in laptops without saying so, so there's a decent chance that that's what the laptop will have.

Perhaps more importantly, it doesn't say whether that 4 GB of system memory is one 4 GB module or two 2 GB modules.  You absolutely need two modules, as leaving one memory channel vacant will cut memory bandwidth in half and cripple the laptop.  (This is a guess, but it might mean 40% lower gaming performance.)  If there is only one module, then you can buy another 4 GB module yourself and add it, but that means spending about an extra $20 elsewhere.

Note that you can also get the Gateway laptop in the original post for cheaper elsewhere:

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-NV55S04u-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Ebony/dp/B0051OLC4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317340683&sr=8-2

That does have two memory modules, so you won't have to add more.  But you're also guaranteed that it's 1066 MHz memory and a 5400 RPM hard drive.

-----

As I said earlier, if you go to Best Buy and they say, the laptop is out of stock, don't let them steer you toward something else instead.  It sounds like you've already heeded that advice, but I still think it's important to repeat, as Best Buy's business model is to try to convince suckers to severely overpay for hardware that isn't very good.

• FtoTheXFtoTheX Member Posts: 2

Ya those are all things I didnt consider, so thank you.

They didn't suggest that laptop to me, they dont have it in stock yet.  I was just looking because I have $400 of best buy gift cards to burn haha.

<--- Is Sad Panda cuz I missed the Asus deal

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I called 2 different bestbuys, and they checked other stores for me as well, no asus k43ta laptops available.  One guy even was making jokes that theres no way I was going to find the laptop any where.