Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: The Complete Collection Giveaway!

Comments

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Well this sucks.  I just bought all of this like 2 weeks ago.  Now I wish I'd waited and saved the 50 bucks.  I'm generally pretty lucky in contests.

But it's very nice of you, MMORPG.com, to have this giveaway.   :)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by PioneerStew

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by Ridrith

Man, some people will cry about anything.  It's a chance to win a game, and ALL of it's expansions.  Just because you don't want to use twitter you won't at least sign up and give it a chance?  QQ some more, your tears are my lubrication.  I on the other hand, am totally going to try and win!

So you QQ about other people QQ'ing? lol

as do you (and me)

Yeah , I never said otherwise :)

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I appreciate Guild Wars seeing some love, and if it has to be outsourced, i prefer twitter over facebook, it's much easier to join, leave and use, without personal data etc.

The description of the stuff included is a bit weird though. You always have 8 characters slots will all 3 campaigns (4 + 2 + 2), you always get 4 xunlai storage panes with all campaigns (2 +1 +1), M.O.X. is always available with all 3 campaigns aswell. And it's actually hard not to get the summoning stone nowadays.

I know it does list all this stuff on the wiki aswell, but the wiki is not trying to promote it. Still nice to see some GW giveaway ;)

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Hall of Monuments ? As a new player wanting to win this collection, how do they enter this competition with zero knowledge of the game?

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Ugh, more twitter-promoting hipster crap. No thanks.

You know, the forum responses to these contests that require twitter/facebook are generally overwhelmingly negative... shouldn't that be a clue to oh, I don't know, stop using twitter/facebook? Seems pretty obvious to me.

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

Since I plan on buying GW2 I was interested in this contest - but! Twitter and Facebook? Sorry, won't play that game, it is just not worth it to me. Good to have contests but not with this tie in. Btw I don't hate those sites just do not want to join them.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Are people really shocked they use twitter for contests? Its a great way to get people following them on twitter, its probobly the whole purpose of the contest. Normal contests get lurkers to subscribe to the site so they can try out for the contest, now twitter/facebook is what they want to expand.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

NOOOOOOOOOOOO another !$!$$ twitter contest pfffffffffffff

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Hey folks,

We use Twitter to do these  contests to grow our twitter followers.  Whether you like or not, we have to do this because it's a great way to reach an even wider audience. Now, our news feed and features go up on Twitter everyday, as well as Facebook.  Thousands see it there, and follow the links here.  They're spread organically across the web, and an article that might only see a thousand hits, can sometimes turn into a monster.  There's a real quality use for Twitter and FB as a media organization and we're not going to stop using it. 

Now, that said, we'll never "force" you guys to use either of those but we do use these contests to grow our followers there, which in turn brings more people here.  It's pretty basic.  And while this thread is negative, the 1000+  new followers since our contest last week began says we should keep doing it this way.

But again guys, please try to understand that we haven't forgotten those of you who would prefer to stay away from social network sites.  I think you're doing yourselves a news and information disservice, due to the fact that if you follow the right feeds you can get all of your news in a nice friendly place with none of the "I just peed green" status updates. 

In the coming weeks, we have even more giveaways lined up, and they'll be only on the forums.  So bear  with us, eh?

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• I also vote 'No' for anything Facebook or Twitter-related. Sorry, it's a hassle and enough other companies have my personal info, to spam me to hell and back. I've got Trilogy, already, and would love to get EotN for free, but looks like I'll just buy it, instead.

• Sorry, Bill, I was typing my response just as you were posting yours...no disrespect intended. Also, I get where you're coming from and I promise to bear w/you guys. =)

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

You won't have a contest this good on the homepage, and we both know it. it will be something about a free mount in some yet to be named korean game that nobody wants. Either way I'm not your advertising drone, and I already had a gaming news source. I wasn't aware you guys were focusing more on twitter than the sight.....

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Hey folks,

We use Twitter to do these  contests to grow our twitter followers. 

and u guys , need that because?

• jerkbeastjerkbeast Member UncommonPosts: 255

Originally posted by Skuall

Hey folks,

We use Twitter to do these  contests to grow our twitter followers. 

and u guys , need that because?

Popularity contest....duh. :) 1000 new followers to me wouldn't seem like much if I knew in the back of my head that they were forced.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Still hate twitter. What happened to clicking a link on a page while logged into our accounts?

That made clear, it might almost be worth it if you haven't already played Guild Wars. Even without the contest, they are a great value, and the whole thing is a great game.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I don't enter contests. I just don't see the point in going through the effort just to find out you didn't get anything. It's like playing Aion.

So it really don't matter to me, if it brings more people to the site, then it's good business.  But if it's intention is to bring people to the site, then it's not really for the existing members though either.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

And for those who loathe the Twitter and the Book of Face? Fear not, we have stuff lined up for you in the coming weekends. I promise.

I for one will have nothing to do with either of them, a plague they are, a scourge on the net!

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Hey folks,

We use Twitter to do these  contests to grow our twitter followers.  Whether you like or not, we have to do this because it's a great way to reach an even wider audience. Now, our news feed and features go up on Twitter everyday, as well as Facebook.  Thousands see it there, and follow the links here.  They're spread organically across the web, and an article that might only see a thousand hits, can sometimes turn into a monster.  There's a real quality use for Twitter and FB as a media organization and we're not going to stop using it. 

Now, that said, we'll never "force" you guys to use either of those but we do use these contests to grow our followers there, which in turn brings more people here.  It's pretty basic.  And while this thread is negative, the 1000+  new followers since our contest last week began says we should keep doing it this way.

But again guys, please try to understand that we haven't forgotten those of you who would prefer to stay away from social network sites.  I think you're doing yourselves a news and information disservice, due to the fact that if you follow the right feeds you can get all of your news in a nice friendly place with none of the "I just peed green" status updates. 

In the coming weeks, we have even more giveaways lined up, and they'll be only on the forums.  So bear  with us, eh?

"I think you're doing yourselves a news and information disservice"

Uhm, sorry no... I don't think so. Same reason i stay away from "local news", it's -not- news, it's something akin in anything relating to quality as to what you get from fox "news".

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Hey folks,

Sorry, I must have missed the part where we are given a choice other than participate or not. 

I want to be clear that I appreciate that you folks are offering neat little goodies like this.  But I don't appreciate the social media recruitment drive you're using to lure me into it.  I avoid that stuff for a reason, whether you consider it valid or not. 

I'm a MMORPG.com member.  I've already signed on the dotted line -- with YOU.  I shouldn't need to go sign up for another service, especially one that I loathe, to participate in a contest YOU are offering.  If one of those services was co-sponsoring it, that would be a different thing entirely.  I still wouldn't join (not for all the tea in China) but at least it would have been a legitimate reason for insisting I sign up with them.  This isn't.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

I cant wait for guildwars 2

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Hey folks,

At least I know why, thank you Bill.  It is good to see some GW give-aways.

• xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

Moving on...

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

And while this thread is negative, the 1000+  new followers since our contest last week began says we should keep doing it this way.

When you give away free stuff it's pretty much guaranteed to attract people.

However, it does not guarantee that they will actually follow the site, nor the twitter or facebook feeds. But, it's your site, if you choose to keep doing it this way, even though those of us that have followed the site loyally for years might not prefer it and enjoy being able to take part in these contests, then so be it.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

As massive a following as GW2 has now I seriously doubt that they need more people following their Twitter feeds.  Right now people would sell a Kidney for a GW2 Beta invite and every one and their Mother is in line wanting to get their hands on this.  Personally, I will never have a Twitter or Facebook account.  I will just have to wait for the "other" events to take place in the forums.