Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Merits of Friendly Fire

2»

Comments

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

AoC would be hilarious if it had FF. Especially during a raid.

FF is a feature that really doesn't belong in most MMOs. The point of adding it is to make the game more realistic and have friendlies be more carefeul what they are doing. Neither of these are particularly useful features when taking the negatives into account. Its just bad design for an MMORPG.

• FeydiirFeydiir Member UncommonPosts: 26

FF can be fun, but it also can suck.  I don't know how many times I've played a FPS where someone walked in my line of fire.  These are people who can see me firing out a doorway or window, who just blatantly walk into my line of fire, not just walk into it, but just stand there.  I'll stop firing, but if you're scoped in you don't see them until their butt is in your face.

FF also makes the game more interesting, makes people pay more attention.  Unfortunatly, you do end up with a lot of people who refuse to try.  They don't want to practice or even try to get any better, they just want things handed to them on a silver plater.

You also get the griefers, clowns who decide they want to ruin their team mates game by shooting them in the back.  The only time that hasn't been much of a problem is if their team can vote to boot them.  Doesn't work as well if both sides can vote to boot them.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Bjordion

provides the almighty ability to kill members of your own faction, race, guild or group that piss you off. 

Quoted for real reason, and main reason it's not in most games.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

FF combined with projectiles hitting the first thing in their path would certainly make combat different. You have to aim AOE if your friends are in melee, archers cannot shoot through allies and squishies can take cover from arrows behind tougher characters.

It would have huge impact on the dynamics of combat. Ofcourse the game should be designed with that in mind.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by Sovrath
    I think when players are making comments against it they are doing so from their idea of how pvp rules would work on a specific game or ruleset.
    For instance someone mentioned factions. Suppose there were no factions?
    This type of mechanic would work very well in an ffa pvp game. And most likely one that didn't have a "red" or muder system but one where one's actoins would then reap repercussions on who they attacked.
    So obviously this would NOT be for everyone. I'll admit I'm for it.

Sovrath makes an excellent point. While a dev would have to be careful implementing it. It would force you to be careful with AoE actions.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

If I am not mistaken in early Everquest my own AOE spells would hurt me and my group as a wizard. I had to be very careful where I placed them unless they were PBAOE.

Chamber of Chains