Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Guild Sores: What's In a Name?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Choosing just the right name for a guild is something that many players spend days figuring out. In today's Guild Sores by David North, the gang is working on finding just the right name until hit hits 'em smack between the eyes. Check out Guild Sores: What's in a Name? Let us know about your guild naming adventures in the comments.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Having been leader of a number of different guilds in different games, one this is for certain. You will NEVER please everyone in the guild with the name. Favorite guild name of all time: Wife Aggro.

• MoeMoeKyunMoeMoeKyun Member UncommonPosts: 82

uhh microvolts has clan "SexToys"

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

One of the bst guilds I was ever in was named Cyber Destruction. They were an 'adult' only guild. Problem was when you put cyber and adult, and online, together on the internet, you get some interesting results.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

I prefer random, mildly amusing guild names like Lobster Brood and The Short Bus Mafia (both from Thunderhorn server on WoW, fyi).

• UnsungTooUnsungToo Member Posts: 276

I once joined a guild in Guild Wars and they gave me a fancy cape to wear. I felt wanted and needed. I put it on and didn't like it because it covered my characters very nicely shaped derriere. I haven't joined or tried to create a guild or clan since.

Do people really spend days tryin' to figure out a clan name?

Godspeed my fellow gamer

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

I think I'm missing 100% of the jokes in this comic, because I've yet to even crack a smile. :(

Originally posted by David North.

It is best to find out who in your guild is a writer, a master of words. Don't let suggestions happen, do not take votes. Just trust me on this.

That depends completely on what your members are like. If you have a guild full of kids who still make fart jokes, you'll end up with an awful name. If your members have actual humor or aren't completely brain dead, a vote is the best way to go.

Personally, I prefer humor in a guild name. Subtle humor preferably, simply because we don't want to attract idiots who can't get a joke. :D

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• siilentsiilent Member Posts: 25

my fav all time guild name was <naga stole my bike>

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

ahahaahahahahahaahahahahah haha as always this is hilarious ahahahahahaahahahaha.  Now that is a funnier joke than Guild Sores

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I've been in seriously named guilds and also comical ones. I've created both (though I never really went too far overboard with the whimsical). I couldn't care less. If a guild has a supremely stupid name but good players, it works for me. That said, sometimes I will not ask about a guild with TOO silly (or offensive) a name.

• RicowanRicowan Member UncommonPosts: 11

IMHO the best WoW guild name, for horde side, is "The Browncoats".  Down with the Alliance!

• flamesdevilflamesdevil Member UncommonPosts: 2

I was in a clan in AvA once, and it was called sKetch, really liked the name it was innovative, and that one took like 15 mins for us to decide

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

In Guild Wars, if you win in Heroes' Ascent (PVP format), the name of your guild (if more then half of the people are from the same guild) is announced server-wide like "<Guild Name> [<Guild Tag>]) has won a battle in the Hall of Heroes."

A lot of people actually make up funny guild names just for this purpose. Even some of the best guilds, playing and winning there regularly have some funny names. Some even make in-universe jokes, picking up Guild Wars related stuff.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• ThomasBPGThomasBPG Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Aoc had a guild named 2 maidens one chalice. I thought it was funny
  • NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

When it comes to WoW guild names, I've found nothing that beats:

Come Honor Fayce

• AxefallAxefall Member UncommonPosts: 33

I was in a guild in Horizons years ago when the game launched called, "I am With the Other Guild."

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Phantasmagoria. :D

• molotovzavmolotovzav Member Posts: 4

My linkshells name in XIV is lolGenbu which of course is from XI and funny, some people love it and think its gold. others want really lame serious names which say "i am so elite and get all the best weapons in the game only to quit at the pinnacle of the games success when I'm bored"

I think fun names are like " we don't take ourselves seriously this is an effing game":