Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Is the World Ready for a Mass Effect MMO?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Speaking to PC-IGN, Bioware Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk revealed that they are definitely interested in exploring the possibility of an MMO based on the Mass Effect IP.

"We're focused very much on The Old Republic, Mass Effect 3 and Wrath of Heroes, and all the other things we've announced, and haven't announced," Muzyka said, "but we also have the opportunity to look at our franchises in a way we haven't ever before. There are lots of new platforms and lots of new business models."

Read the full article at PC-IGN.

What are your thoughts on a Mass Effect MMO? Good idea? Bad? Why or why not? Let us know in the comments!

Thanks to Spookydom for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KanoRainKanoRain Member Posts: 94

I am probably one of the biggest Mass Effect fans you can meet.  I've played through every possible outcome of the two games, all the DLC, etc etc at least once if not multiple times.  If they made a Mass Effect MMO I would never touch that slimy piece of shit.

Might I add I love MMOs, and I love Bioware.  Mass Effect is NOT an MMO IP.

Originally posted by Deleted User

So much of the game is centered around forced grouping that soloing is not an option, major design flaw in my opinion.

^
    ^lol

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It's a pretty well known IP. It has a pretty established set of systems, races, "classes", etc. There are established, long running bad guys. If I'm not mistaken there are even factions. It seems like it has all the prerequisites for an mmorpg to take form. The only thing that would work against it is the 5 to 7 year lead time for development.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

No the world is not ready.

Not every single player game needs to be raped for every cent of profit by making it into an MMO that more than likely would be half arsed at best. Milking IPs for every cent IMO is whats wrong with this industry today.

If the thinking behind the scenes was more " lets make the best game we can" and less " lets see what we can milk the players for"  the industry would be more respected.

And a mass effect MMO would probably be more of the latter and less of the former.

Just my 2cp

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

How isnt it? If you pull the overarching story line out from the ME games, remove the Reapers and Shep, you actually have the baseline for one flushed out universe. You basically have all your races created already, classes can be mirrored to the style of what you can use in ME. You have numerous worlds, back stories, lore, and enemies to work from. We know ME will continue after 3 with a new main character, which means they will continue to expand the universe as well. 

I think most of it will hinge on how SWTOR performs. I've always thought that if it does extremely well, we will see a DA and ME MMO to follow in the following years. If ti flops, it might put both of those ideas to rest. 

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by KanoRain

I am probably one of the biggest Mass Effect fans you can meet.  I've played through every possible outcome of the two games, all the DLC, etc etc at least once if not multiple times.  If they made a Mass Effect MMO I would never touch that slimy piece of shit.

Might I add I love MMOs, and I love Bioware.  Mass Effect is NOT an MMO IP.

So don't play it.  I, for one, welcome it into the fold.  I would play it, but only if I can play a Krogan.  Oh, yeah.  Bring it on.

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

I'm not a fan of generic RPGs like Mass Effect, but one thing I dislike about pushing an IP toward an MMO is how often it just destroys any possible chance of creating new single player games. :(

I would have actually preferred Warcraft IV rather than World of Warcraft, if I had a choice. World of Warcraft just doesn't feel like I'm part of the story. Going through the motions of raiding, grinding and crafting separates it from the IP too much, so I feel that they might as well not even use the IP if all they get out of it is a few names.

If they're going to make an MMO out of an IP, I'd prefer they keep it open enough to allow for future single player games. They can connect the dots if they'd like, but sometimes an MMO just doesn't scratch the same itch that a single player game does.

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

I love the ip enough to know that I couldn't avoid taking a look into it but right now I have to think it would be too far off to look at it as a realistic option, almost like how TOR was the industries "worst kept secret" for so long.  I'm content with what's on the horizon but will definitely be looking if and when ME ever does move into the mmo space.

Kind of curious though why they wouldn't be considering one for Dragon Age first though atleast the setting wouldn't be so similar to the one mmo they would have on the market already.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

I'm not interested in a Mass Effect MMO. It's too niche.

They would do better by creating a totally new and unique entity.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

I would love a Mass Effect MMO. Maybe then they would make a Jade Empire sequel when they are bored and sitting there twiddling their thumbs with nothing else left to do ;)

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by grawss

I'm not a fan of generic RPGs like Mass Effect, but one thing I dislike about pushing an IP toward an MMO is how often it just destroys any possible chance of creating new single player games. :(

I would have actually preferred Warcraft IV rather than World of Warcraft, if I had a choice. World of Warcraft just doesn't feel like I'm part of the story. Going through the motions of raiding, grinding and crafting separates it from the IP too much, so I feel that they might as well not even use the IP if all they get out of it is a few names.

If they're going to make an MMO out of an IP, I'd prefer they keep it open enough to allow for future single player games. They can connect the dots if they'd like, but sometimes an MMO just doesn't scratch the same itch that a single player game does.

Mass Effect was designed to run as three titles, the likely hood of them making another single-player Mass Effect game is very rare so it's natural evolution is to die off or evolve into something else. If Mass Effect became an MMO it is not going to lessen the likely hood of them making a single-player game they never intended on creating in the first place.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

2 statements...

1.  Based on my current testing of a certain beta

2. most emphatically, yes.  that's all I'm going to say about a Mass Effect MMO.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I am going to say not yet. But let's say hypotheticly they started on a Mass Effect mmo today. What are we talking here? 4-5 years of development and testing? I would say by that time then yes. If the single player games are running in three episodes that gives it enough distance for me. The setting is amazing, the races are intresting and well thought out. As an i.p it has everything going for it i.m.o.

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

Bioware Universe FTW, I would love to see this a reality.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Personally, I fail to see how a mass effect MMO would be all that different than SWTOR.

Yes, different setting, characters, slightly different technologies, etc, but the core gameplay would probably be the exact same.

We have enough WoW clones, we don't need SWTOR clones. image

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I would give this a tentative yes. Would all depend on how they went about the game but the universe would be interesting especially if players had their own ships.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I'm not a fan of generic RPGs like Mass Effect

Mass Effect is "generic?" No, not even a little bit.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

If it were to come out in the next year i'd have been interested but something like this would be another 5 years before releasing, ask me then.

• PalmyCloudPalmyCloud Member Posts: 79

wow this idea is 10 years too early... First it would be made by Bioware and they have to understand the true capabilities of MMOrpgs. Imagine you could actually transfer your own success, your ME3 experience to the game which will influence instanced story content. All those small hints coming back from ME, ME2 and ME3 that would actually blast capabilities of Next Gen MMOs. This would be the Next Next Gen MMO Generation... Well, if we only apply our standart wowish MMOG Gameplay on this IP it would never ever work. Another point is that this IP would rather be a MMOFPS. Well and even if Space Combat has not been in ME and ME2, people might want it in this one.

For me it's way too early.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by Unshra

Mass Effect was designed to run as three titles, the likely hood of them making another single-player Mass Effect game is very rare so it's natural evolution is to die off or evolve into something else. If Mass Effect became an MMO it is not going to lessen the likely hood of them making a single-player game they never intended on creating in the first place.

Well they said that "Mass Effect" was a trilogy, but they've also said that the "Mass Effect Universe" will have plenty additional stories to be told via more games and series of games.

BW Invested heavily in creating a very rich and pretty well represented universe it is not all about the reapers - there are many more story arcs to be explored, and many more to be discovered.

Mass Effect MMO could work if they make a story driven sand boxesk MMO that does not have fixed or atleast forced paths beyond the basic class and general setting.

TSW is trying to do that, if BW could build on top of that and in a standard BW fashion make it better than it can work for sure.

But honestly i would think that BW will do somthing new, not in an IP sence but turn ME into a new breed of games, a Not-So Massively RPG.

IE a new expreince that will allow you to share the SP exprience of ME with friends with a bit more open game play and no "follow the leader" crap.

So somthing along the lines of the exclusivly instanced game play and missions of the first GW could also work pretty well if you combine the classic BW story into it.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

PLEASE NO!

1) Focus your money and long term effort on SWTOR is enough to do. Do not split effort.

2) I like ME just as it is, as single player games!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I would not like to see a ME MMO.  The only direction I could see them going with the game is much like TOR's, a linear, quest/mission-driven game, and the market is just oversatuated with that crap.  I enjoyed ME1 and to a lesser extent ME2 (still never finished ME2 actually, got bored 1/2 way through, I will one day though!), but I don't care to see them adapted to another WoW formula MMO.

• JorviasJorvias Member Posts: 13

It seems to me that SWTOR is the natural MMO successor to the Mass Effect franchise... companions, story-driven, awesome spaceship homes.

After ME3 and DA3, give us a new single player RPG franchise! And support SWTOR of course.

Stormlord Jorvias
    Fryer of Conductive Foes

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

If it looks and plays like The Old Republic then I'm passing.

• xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I agree

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by xZeRGz

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I agree

Well didn't play TOR yet, but judging from what I've seen I fully agree.

Please oh please Bioware don't let EA turn you into BYE "O" WARE by utilizing every franchise, making it either a FPS or MMOG.

If ME 3 should be any good, make it an RPG again, instead of a dumbed down FPS like ME 2 or DA 2. In short focus on what made you famous and stay away from other things, thanks.

go work on KOTOR 3 please!

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."