Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did/Does MMORPG.COM kill your interest in trying new mmorpgs?

13»

Comments

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Not really I tend to look at massively.com more for news now though for the news side of mmos . I've felt for a while that mmorpg.com has had more of a tabloid feel to it than a broadsheet which can be entertaining at times .

The biggest problem on this site is the trolling and I honestly think the using WoW Clone to trash any new mmo should automatically get an account banned . I do think mmorpg try to be impartial but of course theres always the human factor and moderators are never going to be totally unbiased . The forums are a lot better than they once were though so kudos to them for cleaning them up somewhat .

People do look at these forums so in some part the faliure of many games can in some small way be attributed  to what happens here. so to a certain amount this website has been bad for the genre . Thats not really mmorpgs fault I doubt when they started the site they could have forseen one game would dominate the market and how fanatically terrified some players would be that they felt the need to destroy ever single game before its even released that have any potential of decreasing subs to thier beloved game .

We are already seeing this now for StarWars TOR  a thread started serveral weeks back trashing it by someone opening a new account saying it was an awful game and giving no real details why the felt it was awful ( most likly never having been played) . This type of thread should not only be locked but also deleted and the OP ip blocked . I know theres proxys but most sites recognise most proxys a mile off and wont let people sign in from one and even though it wouldn't put of the most determind troll the majority of them are so stupid that they wouldn't even know what a proxy was .

The site has been cleaned up a lot but there is a lot more that could be done .

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Wrender

Definetly! Age of Conan never tried it because of the hate spewing forth from these forums. After playing virtually every AAA MMO on the planet and always getting bored before lvl cap I finally broke down and tried AoC last month for the first time and gotta say it's the best freaking game I have ever played (At least for me) Subbed up after a week as F2P and now it's gaming bliss nirvana! I'm never listening to you guys again!

That would be due to you not noticing that in the past year or so reviews/threads for AOC were getting increasingly positive as the title became far better than it had been during the first days after launch. (where most of the vitrol comes from actually).

I've even reconsidered giving the game another go based on the positive feedback from here and other sources.

It's rather sad though that in nearly every thread about how improved the game is, there is someone (or usually multiple somones) who claim that the originator of the thread is a "shill," "delusional fanboy," etc.  So its easy to get a headache before actually determining if the game has improved or not.  I would agree though with your later post about waiting for 6 months or so after a launch, I'm thinking I'll be doing the same thing with future purchases.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Icewhite

All games are worth a second look after the growing pains, particularly as a F2P.  Glad you found a haven.

I'm actually considering holding off playing the upcoming titles such as SWTOR until 6 months out or so just to avoid the growing pains and see if I end up enjoying the game for longer. 

Too many tilles I've discarded including AOC, LOTRO and some others based on my experience in the first 3 months of existance, and I get to thinking perhaps they would have been more fun had I waited some.

Lol it will never happen for all you plans after about 2 weeks you'll relent and be playing SWTOR along with the rest of the planet . hehehe

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I'm not fond of uninteractive game worlds, 1-dimensional gameplay that centers only on combat, SPRPG in an MMORPG skin, lacking character customization (appearance and build wise).  And knowing almost all MMORPGs these days have adopted this kind of game design kills my inerest in trying new ones.

/yawn

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

I've downloaded about MMORPG 5 free trials, came here to read what others have said before download is finished and users on this site have made perfect descriptions of the gameplay. 

Posters here are more reliable than professional or semi-professional reviewers by a long shot.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Tried every game on the "Top Voted Game" Hype meter thingy  and they all sucked ass IMO.

I just pop it every now and then to see what these OMG GW2 IS THE BESTEZ/SANDBOX LOVERS have to say about games and have a good lulz.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by Hazzie

I can't count the number of times I've been surfing around the internet, on Youtube, a general gaming website, etc. and this happens to me:

1. See a video of a mmorpg that makes me think, "hmm, cool, I might try that!",

2. Going to the official game website, and checking out some more screenshots/videos.

3. Start the games download manager,

4. Come to this site, look the game up from the Game List,

5. Read the ratings/hype,

6. Head into the General Forum of said game,

7. Instantly see the proverbial "Top 50 Reasons Jaded Veterens are Convincing You to Never Play This Game" post that describes a plethora of problems, be it bad CS, AI, Bugs, IMBA, Pay to Win, etc. ad nauseum, after which inevitably makes me:

8. See that there's no pot at the end of that rainbow, and ultimately:

9. Cancel the download in progress,

10. Become a little more jaded, and:

11. Hope for #1 to come around again, where I stop after #3 and just experience the game for myself.

It's as if you meet a really cute girl, go out on that first date, think she's the best thing since sliced bread. Immediately after the date, your brain violently fast forwards you to the point in the relationship, perhaps a couple years down the road, where you hate each others' guts and just want out of this relationship ASAP, before you even gave it a fighting chance.

What happened to the journey of self-discovery we used to have before these Costco-sized discussion sites overwhelmed us with possibly more detail then we may or may not need to make an unbiased assessment of games?

I don't know if this has been talked about before, but I find I am so conditioned to getting the lowdown on anything before trying it - even if it's checking out RottenTomatoes.Com to see the TomatoMeter % of a movie before I go to it - that I never really jump into anything anymore with that optomistic attitude I had back when I started playing Everquest 1, and had NO IDEA what I was in for.

Maybe that's really why I enjoyed it more?

Thanks for reading/enduring this.

For me not at all I tend to have kind of specific tastes especially when it comes to gaming so I don't find myself interested in a great many games that do come out but I have found out about and been able to try certain games I was willing to try only because I learned about them from here.

Also I don't think a bunch of bad reviews can really convince me not to try a game that I was interested in trying, I would certainly remember what I had read to see if the same held true in my own summation of the game but that's it.

I love gaming but I won't allow myself to be passionate about it games aren't like some kind of bad relationship where you can't help but feeling like you wasted your life if I try a game and don't like it I move on.  Now I can complain when I see companies lie to the consumer and such but overall the only thing I take as law is whether certaibn features are present stable servers etc.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Nobody is claiming GW2 is going to be a sandbox, but it can fix some of the most annoying wow-clone features like: Avoiding other players, kill stealing.