Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Mark Jacobs Starts Social/Casual Games Studio

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Former Mythic CEO Mark Jacobs has announced the formation of a new studios for the development of social and casual games. The new studio is called City State Entertainment and is co-founded by former Senior Software Engineer from Bethesda Games Studios, Mythic Entertainment and Troika Games Andrew Meggs.

City State Entertainment is a brand-focused studio creating intellectual property for the mobile, tablet and social networking spaces. It brings together the skills and expertise of people who have worked on everything from single-player, strategy games to MMORPGs. That experience, combined with an open and collaborative environment, has already allowed the studio to iterate quickly on ideas and CSE is anticipating a Q4 release for its first game. CSE’s games won’t change the world, cure cancer or raise the S&P rating for the USA but they will simply be fun to play.

Check out the new web site for City State Entertainment.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

mcquaid, garriott, and now jacobs..... the social/casual gaming space is where washed up mmo devs go to die.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by spookytooth

mcquaid, garriott, and now jacobs..... the social/casual gaming space is where washed up mmo devs go to die.

Haha, nice one, it indeed seems to be the place to go when you cant keep up in the multi million bussiness anymore and just want to casualy make games that take a year or less to make.  but hey the tablet and social media market is a good one for those type of games, they aint as powerfull as big (gaming) rigs and old game types will still sell good on those. could even make more money then the big boys since it reaches a far bigger audience.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Yeah thats typical Jacobs big slogans, nothing behind it. The guy already made the easiest MMOG ever (called Warhammer) he doesn't even describe what fun means for him and his team and yet its the only term he is using.

I think this studio will make bland games such as Farmville and browserbased p2w rip offs.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Ah so true......

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Don't forget Koster... I also think it has more to do with them feeling they'd be appreciated more there.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Lol, really?  Yep, we can't make games that actual gamers want to play anymore, so lets make some dumb-downed garbage that the masses will supposedly enjoy.  Why don't these guys just apply for jobs at Zynga....

• zoomcityzoomcity Member UncommonPosts: 9

Mark Jacobs goes way further back than just WAR (which quite sadly is all people seem to remember him for). I played Mythic games from 1996 (yes text based Dragons Gate and Darkness Falls) all the way thru to DAoC. I do understand the negs surrounding WAR as I did play it for a couple of months but didnt really work out.. and the game "felt" wrong.

I hope the guy does well, had most of my great gaming moments playing his games.