Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

its dated, its click to move, its grindy, its complicated

aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

and im really enjoying myself! =)

only issue is im very socially shy, so joining a clan is going to take me longer than it would most folks. ah well. i ll just have to go out and grind some more i spose ;)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Comments

• MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263

Originally posted by chelan

only issue is im very socially shy, so joining a clan is going to take me longer than it would most folks. ah well. i ll just have to go out and grind some more i spose ;)

Socially shy even trough internet? No jugement... Just join random academy till 40 lvl and you will be fine :]

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by albers

Socially shy even trough internet? No jugement... Just join random academy till 40 lvl and you will be fine :]

cool thanks for the suggestion. i ll check out the wikis to find one.

i dont know what it is but i just kinda freeze up when people want to party or when i join a guild. /shrug doesn't mean i can't enjoy mmos though =) its just nice to know there's other people out there.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Welcome to L2! What server are you on?

Yes, some things are outdated...
    Yes it has point & click to walk...
    Yes it/s awfully grindy (even with the 2x XP event now)...
    Yes, it's more complicated than most MMO's...

But it has some of the best PvP/PK/political systems around IMO!

And socially shy..? Should not be a problem. I have the same problem, but am in one of the larger clans on Naia. They know of my 'problems' and know when I'm silent how my mood is. Just find yourself a good academy/clan, and get to know the ppl in it. Once you know them the shyness might go in time ;)

Originally posted by Reizla

And socially shy..? Should not be a problem. I have the same problem, but am in one of the larger clans on Naia. They know of my 'problems' and know when I'm silent how my mood is. Just find yourself a good academy/clan, and get to know the ppl in it. Once you know them the shyness might go in time ;)

Thats what i love about l2 also. But arent they changing karma system in GOD? I am affraid that they will ruin it...

Thats what i love about l2 also. But arent they changing karma system in GOD? I am affraid that they will ruin it...

I heard in our ally that they'll change it for the worse indeed... When PK, you won't be able to level anymore (WTF?), the quest "Repent your sins" will be removed (only 5K fame to remove PKs if you want), up the PK-count to 30/32 before you drop (is now 5, so better), and worse of all, the term karma is removed and will become something like reputation. Dunno the change for that, but I think it'll have the same effect.

Also, clan-wars change as well (for the worse IMO). Max 5 wars (make it 6 so you can war 2 whole alliances?), max 21 days (WTF? enable war each 3 weeks?), loose 1 level for the one declaring war (at least now the high levels can level again :D) and worse of all, there's a thing of being forced into a 2-sided war (I heard, not sure about that)

Will see what changes come on PKing/clan-wars will bring. I think it's the least of our worries when you think that the current 33 classes are brought back to only 8...

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

It was my first MMORPG, and I still prefer moving with mouse clicks. And I always use F1-F12 to use skills instead of 1-0.

I'm not comfortable with WASD movement and 1-0 skill hotkeys.

I heard in our ally that they'll change it for the worse indeed... When PK, you won't be able to level anymore (WTF?), the quest "Repent your sins" will be removed (only 5K fame to remove PKs if you want), up the PK-count to 30/32 before you drop (is now 5, so better), and worse of all, the term karma is removed and will become something like reputation. Dunno the change for that, but I think it'll have the same effect.

Also, clan-wars change as well (for the worse IMO). Max 5 wars (make it 6 so you can war 2 whole alliances?), max 21 days (WTF? enable war each 3 weeks?), loose 1 level for the one declaring war (at least now the high levels can level again :D) and worse of all, there's a thing of being forced into a 2-sided war (I heard, not sure about that)

Will see what changes come on PKing/clan-wars will bring. I think it's the least of our worries when you think that the current 33 classes are brought back to only 8...

And again... New update of l2 brings nothing good lol... Its like what they are thinking? all good stuff that i enjoy about this game is changed AGAIN. Take a look at this thread http://boards.lineage2.com/showthread.php?t=216369

PvP changes

Players can no longer lower the their PK count by using the quest "Repent Your Sins".

Players can only lower their PK count by using their Individual Fame at a "Reputation Manager" NPC.

New Reputation System:

"Karma" has been changed to "Reputation".

Players become Chaotic when their Reputation is negative.

Players become Lawful when their Reputation is positive, and their character names turn green.

Decrease in Reputation points

The reputation points of Chaotic / Normal characters decrease proportionally to their PK count.

Chaotic characters with a PK count of 31 or higher are given an item drop penalty, and augmented weapons are dropped without the augmentation.

When a Lawful character performs a PK, his/her reputation points decrease as following:

PK count of 30 or lower: Reputation becomes 0

PK count of 31 or higher: Reputation points decrease proportionally to the PK count

Increase of Reputation points

Chaotic characters can increase their Reputation points by gaining XP through hunting. However, the player obtains Reputation points only and XP or SP does not increase.

Chaotic characters do not gain any Reputation points when they are killed.

Reputation does not increase higher than 0 when points are increased by gaining Exp.

To achieve a Reputation higher than 0, players must kill other Chaotic characters to gain a fixed amount of Reputation points.

When killing the same chaotic character, players will receive Reputation points at a certain interval only.

And seriously why they want to decrease classes? i dont even understand it. Maybe blizzard bought this game? It blows my mind

i'd like to clarify my post. it was really tongue in cheek. i tried to list a number of things commonly complained about in various games and that are present in L2. and then pointed out, 'hey, all that and you can still have fun!'

sorry if that wasn't clearer.

ive actually grown fond of leaning back in a chair and simply using my mouse w/o a keyboard. WASD has always been my prefered mode, however, im getting older and lazier ;)

i'd like to clarify my post. it was really tongue in cheek. i tried to list a number of things commonly complained about in various games and that are present in L2. and then pointed out, 'hey, all that and you can still have fun!'

sorry if that wasn't clearer.

ive actually grown fond of leaning back in a chair and simply using my mouse w/o a keyboard. WASD has always been my prefered mode, however, im getting older and lazier ;)

It was clear... Just discussion went to the wrong side. Its just very hard to accept these changes :)

Anyway im happy that you enjoy this game :]

well please continue, it just feeds me more infos about the game and the upcoming GoD.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Complicated ?

Compared to what I'm playing right now (Vanguard: SoH), L2 was very simple.

Not that that is a bad thing per se, mind. Chess is very simple, simpler than maybe Roulette or Skat, yet its IMHO superior to the later two.

Not in the case of L2 vs Vanguard, though. Albeits its a bit apples vs bananas, because L2 is a gread PvP game and Vanguard is a great PvE game.

Originally posted by Adamantine

Complicated ?

Compared to what I'm playing right now (Vanguard: SoH), L2 was very simple.

Not that that is a bad thing per se, mind. Chess is very simple, simpler than maybe Roulette or Skat, yet its IMHO superior to the later two.

Not in the case of L2 vs Vanguard, though. Albeits its a bit apples vs bananas, because L2 is a gread PvP game and Vanguard is a great PvE game.

oh Vangaurd has been my 'go to' game for years now. and i understand your pause and question there. L2 is just more complex in different ways. as you said apples and bannanas. for me its primarily the leveling system. the multitude of class transfers and subclasses, armors and weapons of various kinds, which may or may not accept enchantment, soul/spirit shots and etc. and then of course there's always the question of how the class thing will all pan out in GoD.

frankly i think for the average mmo player they would find L2 quite confusing w/o quite a bit of reading, research, and questions on forums.

does that help explain what i  meant a bit? and mind i have played VG off and on for years now as well. so i know what you're talking about. i mean i only need speak one word about VG complexity for us both to understand each other: Diplomacy =) when you first learn it it can be quite overwhelming and ive known quite a number of folks who found that it put them off from keeping on with Diplo. but of course once you are in the swing of things with it Diplo seems deceptively simple.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352

And again... New update of l2 brings nothing good lol... Its like what they are thinking? all good stuff that i enjoy about this game is changed AGAIN. Take a look at this thread http://boards.lineage2.com/showthread.php?t=216369

PvP changes

Players can no longer lower the their PK count by using the quest "Repent Your Sins".

Players can only lower their PK count by using their Individual Fame at a "Reputation Manager" NPC.

New Reputation System:

"Karma" has been changed to "Reputation".

Players become Chaotic when their Reputation is negative.

Players become Lawful when their Reputation is positive, and their character names turn green.

Decrease in Reputation points

The reputation points of Chaotic / Normal characters decrease proportionally to their PK count.

Chaotic characters with a PK count of 31 or higher are given an item drop penalty, and augmented weapons are dropped without the augmentation.

When a Lawful character performs a PK, his/her reputation points decrease as following:

PK count of 30 or lower: Reputation becomes 0

PK count of 31 or higher: Reputation points decrease proportionally to the PK count

Increase of Reputation points

Chaotic characters can increase their Reputation points by gaining XP through hunting. However, the player obtains Reputation points only and XP or SP does not increase.

Chaotic characters do not gain any Reputation points when they are killed.

Reputation does not increase higher than 0 when points are increased by gaining Exp.

To achieve a Reputation higher than 0, players must kill other Chaotic characters to gain a fixed amount of Reputation points.

When killing the same chaotic character, players will receive Reputation points at a certain interval only.

And seriously why they want to decrease classes? i dont even understand it. Maybe blizzard bought this game? It blows my mind

First of we have to agree on that the game has not exactly gotten giant boosts of players over the years, it has been on a small but steady decline of players and what is left is a solid core of hardcore gamers that love the game.

With this there must be ground breaking change to the game so this will change, I know that all the changes first sounds very weird but I think in the end it is for the best(note that I say think as none can really know).

With the reduction of classes one can hope that there will be a balance between classes in pvp, as you know there is none.

With the reduction of classes it will be easier to create party's (for those not in constants).

I do believe that GoD will be a giant and great update for this game and this is the thing that could possible bring more life to the game.

Lets hope I don't have to eat my words on that ;)

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Lineage 2 is what ever kind of game you want it to be and thats what defines a real mmo. It can be PVP or PVE but thats up to you. For me and my Alliance Lineage 2 is a PVE game and I am in the largest PVE Alliance on Chronos. We do not engage in PVP but we also dont take sh1t from anybody so if you attack us we will attack you back. Lineage 2 is a one of a kind game that will probaly never be replacated again and is much more compicated then some quest based themepark that offers no type of social politics that impact the world and its players.

Only the strong survive.image

Originally posted by Mannish

Lineage 2 is what ever kind of game you want it to be and thats what defines a real mmo. It can be PVP or PVE but thats up to you. For me and my Alliance Lineage 2 is a PVE game and I am in the largest PVE Alliance on Chronos. We do not engage in PVP but we also dont take sh1t from anybody so if you attack us we will attack you back. Lineage 2 is a one of a kind game that will probaly never be replacated again and is much more compicated then some quest based themepark that offers no type of social politics that impact the world and its players.

Only the strong survive.image

So true. Only MMO coming close I think is EVE online (which I didn't like because of the skil growing system)...

L2 was my 1st MMO and most likely will also be my last one. I've taken breaks from it, tried other MMO's, but nothing satisfied me as much as L2 ever did. It's a real political sandbox if you prefer PvP. If you want to PvE, there's more than enough to do, but not the regular 'kill 10 rats' quests though.

I started myself on Devianne long ago in a pure PvE clan (Undomiel). Then changed to Co1 for PvP experience. After the transfer to Teon I quited long (botting & exploiting there) and recently came back to Naia (merges). There I joined one of the bigger PvP alliances on the server, and we have lots of active wars. Of course, solo (as Maestro S80) it's no fun to PvP (Maestro is no real PvP char and solo PvP is always no fun IMO), but in a group it's tons of fun.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by SwampDragons

I

First of we have to agree on that the game has not exactly gotten giant boosts of players over the years, it has been on a small but steady decline of players and what is left is a solid core of hardcore gamers that love the game.

With this there must be ground breaking change to the game so this will change, I know that all the changes first sounds very weird but I think in the end it is for the best(note that I say think as none can really know).

With the reduction of classes one can hope that there will be a balance between classes in pvp, as you know there is none.

With the reduction of classes it will be easier to create party's (for those not in constants).

I do believe that GoD will be a giant and great update for this game and this is the thing that could possible bring more life to the game.

Lets hope I don't have to eat my words on that ;)

Can't say I fully understand all of what they're doing with the classes in L2. All I know is I love playing my Spectral Dancer and, if they're folding the SD into some "catch all" class due to the class reduction... That's a major negative for me. L2 always had some of the coolest classes - with the coolest names - in my opinion.

Another negative is how absolutely screwed the economy/market has become in that game.

L2 has always had a tough economy... over the past year or so, it's just gone completely off the deep end. Upon my last return to the game, a few folks I knew who'd continued playing the game while I was gone told me "Good luck making money anymore, unless you already have a lot to invest... The market is borked". And they weren't kidding.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I will admit that it can be hard to make money in this game if you dont know how to make money in this game. How do you think everybody else is doing it if its not possible? Thats the question I had to ask my self. Just last week I bought a Dyn Dagger / Focus / 150 Water for 85M and sold it for 150M. I also bought a Vesper Cutter Sword for 100M and turned around and sold it to an ally member for 125M. 

You have to learn the market and by that I mean find out the prices of everything and find out what sells and what does not. For me right now my money maker is S grade weapons and S84 Weapons and by S Grade I mean Dynasty. I dont deal with the old S Grade Weapons like Angel Slayer and Forgotten Blade. I dont buy from player shops because those are usually too high or they are selling for what the item is worth. You have to talk to people to get deals. When you see these people shouting this stuff for sale dont be afraid to send them a pm and give them an offer that you know is too low. Thats how I got that Dyn Dagger and that Vesper Cutter. You never know how bad that person wants to sell his stuff. I use to think the same way you all did for years before I actually just took the time to find out what everything cost and find out what moves and what does not. 

I agree that the market is messed up if you want to buy the TOP stuff in the game but if you just want to get some gear for your toon then I dont see it. You can get a Dynasty Light set now for less then 100M and thats +++++ with element. S Grade Armor sets like Draconic are being bought for 40M and thats ++++ with element.  Angel Slayer and Forgotten Blade are less then 100M and thats with SA and element. Moirai sets are now selling for 150M and thats +++++ with element. Dynasty Weapons with SA and Element for around 125M. Now when you get up to S84 stuff thats when things get crazy. Vesper Sets are low S84 and can be got for around 250M so thats not bad but Vorpal is Top S84 and cost like 700M which is crazy. Like I said, if you just want to get descent gear for you toon its not crazy but if you want the best then sure it is. 

Dont just play the game xping all day and logging off because if you do then how do you expect to make money? You have to take some time off and go to Giran and play the market. There have been days where I have spent hours in Giran just shouting / buying / selling. Yea, there are alot of people in this game that cheat but there are also alot of people that play the right way. It was not until I got in a clan that I know was totally legit and saw them doing it till I said to my self that I can do this too. Learn the game people, its not easy but it is possible.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Dated ? I always thought L2 has the ideal graphics - simple, but beautiful.

And: hu. I dunno if I would really want to call L2 very complicated ... compared to the complexity of the MMO I'm playing now, Vanguard, L2 seems to be very trivial in my memory.

Not saying that there arent some things I like about L2 and would prefer to see in other MMOs, including Vanguard:

- Simplicity of ressources. In Vanguard a Tier 1 ressource is worthless to a Tier 5 player. In L2, even the greenest newbie will collect ressources the highest level player has use for. I prefer the L2 idea by far.

- Overenchanting. I think thats one of the most genius ideas ever. You can keep working at your gear ad infinum.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Adamantine

Dated ? I always thought L2 has the ideal graphics - simple, but beautiful.

And: hu. I dunno if I would really want to call L2 very complicated ... compared to the complexity of the MMO I'm playing now, Vanguard, L2 seems to be very trivial in my memory.

Not saying that there arent some things I like about L2 and would prefer to see in other MMOs, including Vanguard:

- Simplicity of ressources. In Vanguard a Tier 1 ressource is worthless to a Tier 5 player. In L2, even the greenest newbie will collect ressources the highest level player has use for. I prefer the L2 idea by far.

- Overenchanting. I think thats one of the most genius ideas ever. You can keep working at your gear ad infinum.

Don't necro old threads!!! Come on with 2k+ posts you should know that.... tisk tisk

*slaps your hand*

BAD POSTER BAD