Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trolled by Bioware (email).. :-P

IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Just curious,

The official forums are blowing up.  I'm up to 86 pages in the 10-15 minutes since I got the "email".  Basically, Bioware sent out 2 back to back emails.  1st basically said "If you enjoy your time playing, pre-order the game" the 2nd was a "survey" that was broken.

Official forum mods are deleting posts left and right.  No official word.  

MikeB/Mods (Bill Murphy..c'mon get us an exclusive)... get us some answers!

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=513926

Edit:  Adding link to official forum post that is EXPLODING.

Comments

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Yeah, I just started a thread about the same thing.  They got me too.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Update:  Apparently 954PM EST, so many people are on Biowares site, they are having technically difficulties... server crash soon?

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405

the thread is averaging almost one post per minute hehe.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I have a question thats a tiny bit off topic. Are they deleting actual posts or are they deleting threads.

If they are deleting threads, it's probably so they don't end up with 3 5 7 10 or 20 threads of the same thing. They are in the habit of either deleting or more likely locking and redirecting to one open thread. Thats par for the course for that site.

If they are deleting actual posts in one thread then thats a bit strange.

All in all it sounds like an error and they are trying ot keep it under control.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Whilan, 

I BELIEVE they were redirecting all threads to a single unified thread (to which I posted the link).

I'd LOVE to answer further buthe website is down... kinda ends that :-)

This was on their website:

Some sections of SWTOR.com are currently unavailable due to unusually high traffic. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please check back to this page later.

EA AND BIOWARE HARNESS THE FORCE ON DECEMBER 20, 2011 WITH THE LAUNCH OF STAR WARS:THE OLD REPUBLIC

The Republic or the Empire? Choose Your Side and Forge Your Own Personal Star Wars Saga in the Groundbreaking, Story-Driven MMO from BioWare

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Ikeda

Whilan, 

I BELIEVE they were redirecting all threads to a single unified thread (to which I posted the link).

I'd LOVE to answer further buthe website is down... kinda ends that :-)

This was on their website:

Some sections of SWTOR.com are currently unavailable due to unusually high traffic. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please check back to this page later.

EA AND BIOWARE HARNESS THE FORCE ON DECEMBER 20, 2011 WITH THE LAUNCH OF STAR WARS:THE OLD REPUBLIC

The Republic or the Empire? Choose Your Side and Forge Your Own Personal Star Wars Saga in the Groundbreaking, Story-Driven MMO from BioWare

Yeah they do that on purpose when there is something big. They always lock/redirect or delete threads and leave one big one open.

They are like butlers on that site. They like to keep it tidy.  I don't blame them either, no reason to have 20 threads of the exact same thing. I think this site does that as well.

Best bet when something odd like this happens is to avoid the offical site (unless you want to debate) for a few hours until everything calms down.

Edit: yeah they got what is called slash dotted. Everyone dumped onto the website at once and killed it.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Why does advertising spam and a broken survey warrant enough forum traffic to crash a server?  Were they giving away a free CE in it or something?

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Yeah, the site is just flooded right now, can't really do anything except log in.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Unlight

Why does advertising spam and a broken survey warrant enough forum traffic to crash a server?  Were they giving away a free CE in it or something?

Chances are that everyone is hoping they were supposed to get the survey,  but were supposed to get a beta invite first. Seems to have been far too many of the emails went out for that to be the case though.

Possible beta invites as a matter.  Most people thought they missed the invitation to beta so logged in to check.

Mods - Done updating this thread since there is a duplicate.  Feel free to merge it.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/328171/

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I don't understand the troll part of this.  What was offensive about the e-mail?

Broken survey part I understand, that happens all the time.  Never hand the marketing guys a computer with e-mail broadcast software. *shudders at memories when that happened where I used to work*

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by whilan

They are like butlers on that site. They like to keep it tidy.

Movie reference.  Great film :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

I used the term trolled because it was an email that caused grief among the community, thus Trolled.  It wasn't a flame or anything of that nature. 

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

That is exactly what I thought when I got my 2 emails and went to the BioWare site.  I thought I had somehow missed my Beta invite and wanted to know what happened to it.  I'm not sure if they ment to send out Beta invites awhile ago to those people who just got the 2 emails today or if it was some sort of mix up and we got the 2 emails without ever actually having an Invite.

Originally posted by Ikeda

I used the term trolled because it was an email that caused grief among the community, thus Trolled.  It wasn't a flame or anything of that nature. 

Works.  I found the details in the other thread too.  I liked one posters comment about where a guy dropped his sandwich on the keyboard hitting the "send to everyone" button.

• AmancueAmancue Member Posts: 3

I had suggested on the site before it crashed that maybe this was them doing some form of Guerilla stress testing, sending out an email that garners a strong emotional response and then see if thier servers can handle the torrent of people hammering away @ the site to see if they truly got in and or say WTF

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by Unlight

Chances are that everyone is hoping they were supposed to get the survey,  but were supposed to get a beta invite first. Seems to have been far too many of the emails went out for that to be the case though.

Ahhhh.

I actually just checked my mail and got the same two emails.  From the wording I can see why someone who had signed up for the beta might have thought they'd been shafted.  Now I can understand the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Funny, I don't even remember getting set up on the SWTOR mailing list.  Must have done that quite a while ago, although I think this is first thing I've ever received from them.

• JigsawzJigsawz Member Posts: 115

I received the 2 emails and went, "I was accepted to beta test and I might have accidently deleted the email? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" *Heart Attack*.  Came back to life and went on the official site which crashed.....

Dammit all to hell.....

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

After receiving that beta testing survey I spent 10 minutes searching my email for the actual beta invite.

Damn them.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

From Facebook:

We are aware some members of the community have received a survey email. We are looking into it and will have more information soon.

Like ·  · Share · 24 minutes ago

•  
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Ah. Looks like Bioware's seven step plan to ruin Christmas is right on schedual.

HO HO HO!

NOW RELEASE YOUR ANGER!

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Closing the duplicate threads.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.