Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No levels & no classes; experience pts to buy powers!

13»

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Wizardry
    I love the idea of no levels,i wish all games did away with them,however no classes?
    The whole purpose of role playing something is to ummm role play something,weather we call it a class or not doesn't really matter.To do away with a class means you are just roleplaying nothing at all,kind of defeats the purpose of playing these games.
    The abilities/powers/spells themselves should have some sort of definition,you are building your player towards what?A Werewolf?A Vampire?An undead?It all has to be for some purpose or there is no point to the game.
    Even with no levels,i would need to replace those with age,as that is the more realistic approach,your player should have an age,levels were just a silly idea to begin with.
    I might also add that once you remove the class therefore you are nothing more than a "thing"it leaves no room to creating an actual story.How would the story go if you  are nothing but a tihng?You area thing waiting to gain some random abilities to save the world?Even if you are a human,that is a type of class a character,but imo to just make everyone a human is again a VERY lazy design that removes them having to make several different races and classes.
    When i see a developer is too lazy to put in the work and effort to make these MMORPG's ,i have no respect for them and would never support the game with my money.I wouldn't support it at all not even for free.

Once you remove levels, classes seem kind of pointless. You could still have them...but if you're going to have a class based build system, you may as well have levels.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm looking forward to it. Instead of locking your character into one thing right at the start, you can grow and cultivate your character into what you want it to be...whatever that is.

Unless the system is just a class system disguised as a free form skill based system. Then it's just lazy, lame or both.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

Originally posted by chrisel

Originally posted by Xasapis

Skill based does not equal sandbox, to whoever has this delusion.

Any updated "news" upon how "themepark" or sandboxish TSW will be?

TSW is a themepark game with sandbox elements in it.  It is no sandbox game.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

WOW!!

I mean, this sound like a dream too good to be true, right? I mean, no levels & no classes; experience points to buy powers.

Thanks FunCom, for bringing back some faith into the MMO world!

And a RMT cash shop to buy those experience points!

ZOMG WAVE OF TEH FUTUREZ

• HubertiiHubertii Member Posts: 2

Hi!

If you want to explore the TSW skill system check out our Skill Wheel Simulator here: The Secret World Skill Wheel

We've updated it lately, so there is some new cool stuff. And if you like it please click on the Google +1 button in the top left corner of the page!

Thanks!

P.S.: Of course if you have any new info about the TSW skills please let me know!

Hubert

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

Originally posted by Hubertii

Hi!

If you want to explore the TSW skill system check out our Skill Wheel Simulator here: The Secret World Skill Wheel

We've updated it lately, so there is some new cool stuff. And if you like it please click on the Google +1 button in the top left corner of the page!

Thanks!

P.S.: Of course if you have any new info about the TSW skills please let me know!

Hubert

Nifty, thanks Hub

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by BadSpock

WOW!!
    I mean, this sound like a dream too good to be true, right? I mean, no levels & no classes; experience points to buy powers.
    Thanks FunCom, for bringing back some faith into the MMO world!
    And a RMT cash shop to buy those experience points!
    ZOMG WAVE OF TEH FUTUREZ

False information is false. At least wait for the company to announce something dodgy before railing against it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ElricmerrenElricmerren Member Posts: 295

For thhe most part they said it would be flush, and appearance items in the cash shop, which is how it should be. I am hoping to hear about hwo they plan to do the hp/mp stats for characters without a level system, if it is in a thier powers system like a buff to grant more hp/defense then i would be happy with it. I am one i want a fencer type characetr which uses wards/seals to buff themselves and others in close range. With yoru weapon being the source of most of the staats as well as powers you have i hear atleast, i hope the looks vary and are unique.

• ElricmerrenElricmerren Member Posts: 295

I could see no class yet you could say that how many points you have gained for use in buying powers would be simular to lvls in a way, mostly since you gain those point of what i hear by gaining a set amount of exp. Outside of completely rdding your game of exp gains as a way of gaining power, such as how some games have you increase the lvl/power of abbilities by uses to train so you learn to utilize them better, you will always have a lvl system of a kind. Mostly it seems that you do not gain hp/mp the normal stats you would otherwise gain when you level/gain a point to use in your powers now.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I like the no classes skilltree part....

But the no levels gets just replaced by another system of progression that has no name yet, but has exactly the same function as levels... showing your progression...

BEcause after 3 months of playing your character will be incredibly much more powerfull then your starting character... And if not... people will leave the game because they have no feeling of character progression.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Level based games make you stay close in level with others so you can game with them. Skill based games allow differing skill levels to game together. Remember, no xp for a group if someone is too high or low while skill based you can still improve your skills no matter who you game with. Now that I said that, I have to say I have no idea how this game will work but having gamed in ultima for 3 years vs 17 years of level based games I am sick of level based games with end-games that seem like rats in a maze chasing a piece of cheese so if this game is daring to be different: great! If you can't see this then never ask again why most games are just copies of previous ones.