Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion gone "Pay to Win" now

MmoSwanMmoSwan Member Posts: 134

http://uk.aiononline.com/news/announcements/limited-time-felicitous-socketing-supplements-ncsoft-store

A sad day for Aion. NcSoft fixing their broken game with a cash shop. Now you got the option to spend 1000s of hours of grind to beat the random number generator or to pay extra $$$.

|| Languages for gamers: http://gamerslingo.com
/where God
ERROR: Target could not be found
/target Believer
/skill science
You missed your target since Believer ignores science
/skill logic
You missed your target since Believer traded all his INT for faith.

Comments

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by MmoSwan

http://uk.aiononline.com/news/announcements/limited-time-felicitous-socketing-supplements-ncsoft-store

A sad day for Aion. NcSoft fixing their broken game with a cash shop. Now you got the option to spend 1000s of hours of grind to beat the random number generator or to pay extra $$$.

Omg they still keep socketing failure nonsense alive ?

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm sort of surprised it didn't happen sooner.  Box + subs + cash shop is a publishers dream.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Ahh the famous socketing system. Instead of getting a revision they opt to suck dry the remaining faithful subscribers.

HEY, more power to you if you want to throw your hard earned money to these moneygrubbing fucks for something game-changing that should be available in-game for everyone to attain.

I'm done with this game.

• MmoSwanMmoSwan Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

I'm sort of surprised it didn't happen sooner.  Box + subs + cash shop is a publishers dream.

No doubts about that. It's also gamers nightmare, though. Aion goes Elmstreet I guess.

/where God
    /target Believer
    /skill science
    /skill logic

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

I am patting myself on the back now and getting a crick in my neck for having not invested much in this game. I am glad I left when I did but I do feel sorry for those who invested time and effort int his game.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

I normally can't stand the "OMG PAY TO WIN" crybabies...but this isn't the case.  This one IS actually pay to win.  With a few bucks you can completely bypass the absolute frustration of trying to socket a fabled set.  One of the things I used to talk about to compliment Aion was the fact tht there aren't any guarantees: there's always a risk that you could lose something: XP if you die, sockets if they fail, etc.  This is no longer the case, and it's a sad day.

Looks like these will only be for sale until October 12th.  For the sake of the game, let's hope they never return but the damage may have already been done.  It's enough for me to consider never going back, and I"ve always defended this game in the face of strong criticism.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Hmm and I was actuall thinking of starting Aion , cause they really started changing this game with all those frequent patches.

Well now I show them my middle finger.   I prefer to not play any mmorpg ever again than play double dipping sub + cs / freemium / p2w games.  So nah Aion not getting any of my $. Any game that goes this patch as well. FU.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Sad news. Trust in a MMO company takes some serious vetting and time. Trust was lost this day.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

THIS.  This right here frustrates me to no end.  It's validating what so many have said for so long about Korean games released in the West.  I wanted to naysayers to be wrong.  I'm just not sure I can keep investing in games where it's run by people who have absolutely no control whatsoever.  I'm not writing off Aion or Korean games, but this puts a dent in the armor in my book :(

7 eternal abyss gear pieces are 42 slots. 3 socketing items cost $12. That means you need to buy 14 $12-packages, adding up to $168 per gear set - which means you pay an extra year of fees for a single gear set. And all that to work around a totally broken socketing system. Isn't it marvelous how NcSoft rips off their players?

/where God
    /target Believer
    /skill science
    /skill logic

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Jesus Christ the socketing system is not broken, it has been said from the get-go it will be randomized and so be it. People playing the game have no problem with that so what?

but this going p2w so I will cancel asap not gonna support a cash shop on top of a monthly fee.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

Originally posted by DerWotan

Jesus Christ the socketing system is not broken, it has been said from the get-go it will be randomized and so be it. People playing the game have no problem with that so what?

How is it not broken when you can spend 2 billions of kinah on a gear set and still not have it fully socketed like it happened to several people? Getting 2b is many months worth of several hours grind a day - and you get nothing for it?

If you buy that kinah from some farmer you already spend around $3.000, that makes the $168 for *safe* enchanting looking like a real bargain.

/where God
    /target Believer
    /skill science
    /skill logic

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Aion commiting suicide

Sad cos i have hope for the 3.0 aka housing patch

Luckily i haven't resub for the latest patch....spit spit

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

And yet, there will still be folks who will say that this game is marvellous and everything is great in the land of NCSoft.

Count me in this group. I heard this news yesterday, logged in last night, and still had a fun time. Go figure.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421

Cash shop on top of a sub fee.... Wow NC screw you good seriously that is MESSED UP. You see how greedy people are these days? Praise GW2 for how it really should be buy the game and have fun!

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

It's made by an asian company, how is this surprising or shocking?

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Just a reminder that Lord of the Rings has a cash shop that can improve  your gameplay and it is NOT Asian. 

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by MmoSwan

It's a sad, sad, sad day at the NCWest offices...

What are they thinking? Now that they made CoX F2P, lets f**k up a subscription game as well..? I'm no fan of Aion, but this is just OUTRAGIOUS!

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by avalon1000

Just a reminder that Lord of the Rings has a cash shop that can improve  your gameplay and it is NOT Asian. 

But you dont NEED a subscription to play Lotro.

Anyway this is very bad news for Aion. A reasonable game ruined by inept managment.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Supplementing something that isn't working properly with a paid "fix", vs. offering XP boosters/ingredient packs/non-game altering items that are unnecessary fluff.

Pretty big difference there.

• nomrawnomraw Member Posts: 146

Originally posted by Boardwalker

And yet, there will still be folks who will say that this game is marvellous and everything is great in the land of NCSoft.

Count me in this group. I heard this news yesterday, logged in last night, and still had a fun time. Go figure.

Kura was being sarcastic....

Eitherways, whatever delusion makes you happy :-)

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

NCsoft is just trying to milk whatever they can out of Aion before it dies and they shut servers down forever. I played for 2 years. Quit a few weeks ago. They keep merging servers and have 4 right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they merge again soon especially when Star Wars comes out. The game is just severely unbalanced. They elyos dominate all servers and are geared out better than the asmos. I don't think Aion is going to be able to survive long enough to get out 3.0. I had fun while I was there but it gets old the way they do things. People are always quitting.

Personally if one side is dominating too long and owning the core and the upper abyss NCsoft should have sent out droves of Baluar ships to help the losing side a little. I was on Israphel then Zikel. It gets to the point where the faction refuses to even go out. Now the losing faction gets coddled every other week with being able to do forts for AP items even if they do not own the forts. Let it go already NCsoft the game is going down the crapper in the west..

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Shrilly

Cash shop on top of a sub fee.... Wow NC screw you good seriously that is MESSED UP. You see how greedy people are these days? Praise GW2 for how it really should be buy the game and have fun!

And while you play they eat bread and water... It works both ways greedy developers and tight players. Best model is just a standard subscription, provides funds to develop the game and keeps peeps interested.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by twodayslate

Supplementing something that isn't working properly with a paid "fix", vs. offering XP boosters/ingredient packs/non-game altering items that are unnecessary fluff.

Pretty big difference there.

This is the problem. pay2fix. It is every bit as bad as pay2win, maybe worse. I don't mind if the game has a cashshop in addition to a sub but this kind of design takes advantage of a design flaw to gain profit. If this design is frustrating people enough to encourage them to pay $5 to by pass it then it probably shouldn't be there in the first place or at least needs to be toned down. Another way of looking at it is to ask yourself what keeps NCSoft from cutting the success rate of socketing in half in order to increase sales of this item. This is a huge conflict of interest. Pay2fix is why so many f2p games are horridly designed. This simply encourages a company to maintain and even further develop a bad design.

With a true p2p game, the incentive is to balance fun with challenging with not too frustrating and so on. Even if they sell barbie cloths or pets in the cashshop. At least they have an incentive to make the game fun by default.

This is very frustrating because I just returned to the game and am having fun with it. And while I don't like the fetish with RNG that is all over the game I can live with it in isolation. But I will not support a game that sets itself up to encourage and profit from an arbitrarily frustrating design.

All die, so die well.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by nomraw

Originally posted by Boardwalker

Kura was being sarcastic....

Eitherways, whatever delusion makes you happy :-)

Yep, if  delusian means ignoring hyperbolic comments on a message board and having a good time playing a game, I'm guilty.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days